Mercuriall U530&Free Stuff

News
jorismak
antispam: 6

Re: Mercuriall U530&Free Stuff

Postby jorismak » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:42 pm

lol.. like talking to the spammer is going to help :). Report it (it's already done), hope that brohym is still around, ignore it. That's all we can do.

PVDHP

Postby PVDHP » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:30 pm

that's exactly what I have done before

zolaive
antispam: 0

Postby zolaive » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:50 pm

Hi,
Did you find out why there are so much CPU used on powerfull laptop as mine ?
I confirm that my Dell Precision MS6700 has an Intel® Core™ i7-3840QM Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz).
On the Dell site (http://dell.to/2hVv2pP), it is said to have 4 cores and 8 threads.
Till now, I don't know why I can't visualize the activity of each core. Anyway, the tests done on the Dell Support page show that the processor works perfectly well.
Hope you'll keep on working on the subject
Olivier

PVDHP

Postby PVDHP » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:03 am

I've heard that might be done intentionally to solve priority issues between cores.

jorismak

Postby jorismak » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:25 am

I can try some DIs on my laptop, a 2670qm (sandybridge i7). Weird that i have no issues on my i7 860.

jorismak

Postby jorismak » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:04 am

Don't have me guitar here, but tried DI files in an empty Reaper session (So nothing else running besides spark).
I did put on a room reverb. If I start tweaking the reverb knobs I get momentary stutters (specially the decay knob), but otherwise it's fine.

• x2 oversampling: my total cpu usage is around 11% to 12% when playing the DI file.
    My cpu changes between 1.8ghz and 2.0ghz, hitting 2.2ghz at certain moments.
    Windows Task manager reports the Reaper process as 4% to 6% CPU usage.
  • x8 oversampling: my total cpu usage is around 27% to 28%,
    with my clockspeed staying pretty stable at 2.6ghz to 2.66ghz.
    Windows Task manager reports the Reaper process as 21.8% to 22.1% CPU usage.

Windows 10 x64 Anni, Reaper x64, Steinberg UR22 usb interface, 64 ASIO buffersize, 44.1khz. Core i7-2670QM.

When seeing this I find it hard to believe that CPU power is the problem on a newer Core i7-3xxx, mobile or not.

I even have Chrome running, Malwarebytes Premium, Windows Defender and a bittorrent client. And Windows 10 is always doing something else it seems.

Metafis

Postby Metafis » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:56 pm

zolaive,
I checked Spark on my laptop that has a bit newer, but actually a bit slower processor i7-4710HQ. I have no issues at all running Spark at x8 oversampling.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d31c3xsymdqpp ... 1.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hdfatp0rb93s ... 2.png?dl=0

I suspect there is something in your system that is creating troubles and it is interesting what it is. Your processor and OS are fully capable of running Spark. So far we have not found

1. I think our support guy asked before, but I want to clearly understand - does your system successfully use all 8 cores? If you go to Task Manager > Performance > CPU > right click the CPU graph > can you set the graph to show the utilization of all the logical processors? Will it show 8 graphs? (please post screenshot)

2. Alternatively, go to Task Manager > Performance > Open resource monitor > CPU tab > will you see all 8 cores reporting the usage? (please post screenshot)

3. Also, when in the resource monitor, click on the top menu "Monitor" > Select processors. What do you see there? Are all 8 cores selected for monitoring? (please post screenshot)

4. Please make sure you do not run Cubase in compatibility mode.

5. Do you have a friend with a different sound card to try it on your PC? Just to make sure your sound card drivers are not causing the issue.

6. I also wonder why are you running a 32 bit Cubase on a 64 bit machine? You will get better performance if you run 64 bit apps on your computer. Just interesting.
Ibanez RGD2127 (BKP MM set) | RG2620 QMSP (BKP Nailbomb bridge) >> FAS AX8 >> SPL Crimson | Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The most extreme amp modeling - www.mercuriall.com

zolaive

Postby zolaive » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:39 pm

Yes I think there's something in my system that is creating troubles.
I did everything you ask me to do but only one core appears.
I'll show you screenshots. I asked Delll about this problem but there don't know what can cause this problem. I guess they don't know much about computers...
I chose to install the x32 bits Cubase version because I though I could have problems running 32 bit plugins in a x64 bit Cubase DAW and I have plugins that are only 32 bit...

zolaive

Postby zolaive » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:43 pm

Anyway, I'm planning to buy a new PC...
I'll initialize my dell laptop to see if the problem's still there. if it is, I'll ask Dell to give me some explanations, 'cause maybe they sold me something that don"t work as it should... (?!)

Metafis

Postby Metafis » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:17 pm

@zolaive
Very strange indeed. If the PC has multiple cores, they should definitely appear in the Task manager and other place and be shown on the graphs.

What I'd check at this point is BIOS. Maybe something is turned off there? I would also check if a BIOS update is available for your machine.
Ibanez RGD2127 (BKP MM set) | RG2620 QMSP (BKP Nailbomb bridge) >> FAS AX8 >> SPL Crimson | Focusrite Scarlett 2i4

jorismak

Postby jorismak » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:47 pm

Isn't it just this?:

(You can tell the task manager to summarize the view to only one CPU graph, and it's enabled by default on Windows since v7 I believe)

Metafis

Postby Metafis » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:03 am

@jorismak
Yes, this is what I wanted to see (to check how the cores are loaded). But seems that zolaive's computer has trouble with displaying this information - this is not normal. So we have a suspicion that not all cores are working or some setting in BIOS is disabled. If it is indeed so, then Spark just uncovered a much bigger problem.

zolaive

Postby zolaive » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:44 pm

I recently flashed the BIOS. So it's up to date.
I configured the BIOS so that the cores should all be enabled.
But when I check the cores activity using the task manager, it only shows one processor.
When I open msconfig to see how many cores can be enabled, it shows the number of cores available and there's only... 1.
When I test the processor with the Dell Online tests, the result says that the processor works well.
Weird indeed.
And the Dell people don't seem to understand what's happening. I think they don't even look for a solution because my PC is out of Warranty :twisted:
Cheers
ZOLAIVE

Alexhangman

Postby Alexhangman » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:27 am

Spark Lead 68
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gibson Les Paul Classic '97 (Alnico II Pro)
Marshall 2555SL Jubilee '96
Marshall JMP '79 (#34/#36)
Orange Tiny Terror
Dunlop Talkbox, Dunlop Crybaby

Metafis

Postby Metafis » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:34 pm

@zolaive
Wow, never seen a PC behaving like that =(

I have found two more places to verify things.

1. Right click My computer > Manage > Device manager > open Processors. How many cores are displayed there? If you double click each processor displayed there, does it say "This device is working properly"?
2. Right click My computer > Manage > Performance. Will it show that all cores and their status is NOT "parked" (so, not "1")?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/76n5qcpeu93er5g/cpu.PNG?dl=0

zolaive

Postby zolaive » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:20 pm

Strange results.
See the screenshots :
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Metafis

Postby Metafis » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:38 pm

zolaive,

So, on the 2nd screenshot if you scroll to the right, there are no more processors listed? If yes, something is very wrong =(
I've checked 4 computers and all of them show exact number of cores there (4 or 8, depending on the CPU).

zolaive

Postby zolaive » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:33 pm

Yes, nothing on the right...
I think there's been a problem since I bought this Dell Laptop because when I first used it, I found the performances were not really better than those of the computers I had before, though this one was supposed to be much more powerfull.
If I had noticed that problem at that time, I could have benefit the warranty. Now it's too late and Dell will never do something for me.
I'll write to Dell to tell my story and complain. All I can say is that the Dell support is crappy. The so-called experts know less than you about the Dell procducts and Windows OS. What a pity !
Cheers
Olivier

Metafis

Postby Metafis » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:48 pm

@zolaive
Sorry to hear that =(

Did you ever re-install Windows on this machine? At this point, what I would do is reset BIOS to default settings and then do a clean-install of Windows. Not saying you must do it, but I don't see any other options. But again, I am not an expert in such things, unfortunately.

What you can do as well - check some sites with reviews of your exact PC model. Then check what benchmarks this computer got. Download benchmark programs and see if you will get same results. I suspect the results will be considerably worse.

DaveClark

Postby DaveClark » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:44 pm

Hi zolaive,

From Tom's Hardware, the following has been posted a couple of times for such cases --- something to try anyway, if you haven't already gone that far:

If they [all processors] are not showing, go to power scheme in windows and set it to high.
Then if using windows 7 or 8 type in the search box : MSconfig.
system config window opens.
Click on boot tab.
Advanced options.
Make sure number of processors is ticked, select 4 cores from the drop down box.
Exit and restart.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id- ... nning.html
14 Aug 2014

I see from your earlier post that you did open msconfig, but I was not sure if you had ticked the Number of Processors, then used the drop-down list. Mine also shows one processor initially, even though there are twelve logical ones (six physical).

Regards,
Dave Clark

jorismak

Postby jorismak » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:25 pm

I have to find out through Ola Englunds YouTube channel that there is an update out for Spark? We customers don't get notified? It's a bit weird.

Metafis

Postby Metafis » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:30 pm

jorismak,

We will of course notify our customers - the posts and email are to go live today. Ola's video appeared online few hours earlier, I don't see a big issue here.
There are lots of time zones we work from, so not everything is happening at the same time =)

jorismak

Postby jorismak » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:32 pm

OK nothing said then !

I falsely assumed I was a week late to the news or something :)

Metafis

Postby Metafis » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:39 pm

jorismak,
No problem! Just a few hours late :D
I'll post the update in a separate post.

Metafis

Postby Metafis » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:40 pm

Here is the changelog of Spark 1.1:
- New stomp box based on BOSS® SD-1
- New presets from Ola Englund*
- Improved plugin performance on Mac
- Improved performance of Windows 32bit plugin
- Improved AFD HI channel sound
- Fixed some issues in Delay settings
- Added "EQd cabs". These cabs have more even low end behavior.

* Unfortunately, presets are not available in the AAX version

Please go ahead and check out the updated version. Any comments/feedback are welcome!

And don't forget, we are running a Valentine's Sale right now, so it is a good time to grab Spark or U530 with a discount at www.mercuriall.com

Return to “News”