Re: AcmeBarGig Software Release DIG 1.03 Released here today

Postby Laguna Rising » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:39 pm

:D Woow ! It seems a cool bunch of useful things
Thanks !

Ken McLaren
antispam: 0

Postby Ken McLaren » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:48 pm

You're Welcome Lag. Thanks for checking it out. I'm curious to hear what you guys can do with it in regards to IR Cabinets. I've never really used them before, but I think I gave you guys the right bypasses to be able to use them. At least I hope I did.

One of the problems that we had was that DIG creates a lot of natural bottom end and that had to be filtered out to use IR Cabs, that's why the new Cab Shaper EQ Mode came from. The filter in the Cab Shaper is bypassed and the signal routed directly to the Cab Shaper EQ. Then if the IR does'nt sound right you can EQ until it does..

KM

Junior Paiz
antispam: 6

Postby Junior Paiz » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:59 pm

McBarGig wrote:You guys are welcome, and thanks for checking it out
KM

Hey Boo that was interesting, were you using the preamp or the suite, and what did you do for cabinet??
Was that Kefir? or Cab Shaper?
KM

Hey Ken
I was using the DIG Pre Amp + Cab Shaper. The only thing out of the DIG suite that I used was TSS parts 1 and 3 of the clip... I think I exagerated on the gain, but I really think that DIG delivers it :arrow:
Congratz man !

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:04 pm

Oh OK, interesting, What is TSS?

Delivering the gain, yeah and I Cut it back from what the testers were getting. Smudge asked for that, I think he was right too. I'm gonna try and use Guts later to see if I can model DIG. Heck if thats the case then I coulda just gave you guys a Gut file :) But I don't think its totally possible as DIG has more filters that are all combined at the EQ to create wanted frequencies. You can probably get pretty close though. Like close enough that you may not notice a difference. The Gain and shape of the "Distorted wave" is what will be hard to do.

Here's something that I want to do. and This I'll give away as freeware as well. There was a person on this forum who wanted to make IR's from Pickups. I can't seem to get a hold of him cause I'd like to do that myself. But not to take his idea, but that would be a cool project. I left him a message saying that I would write the software for it. But have not heard back so I'm just wondering if we should just go ahead and do it.

KM
Last edited by Ken McLaren on Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Junior Paiz

Postby Junior Paiz » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:09 pm

McBarGig wrote:Oh OK, interesting, What is TSS?
km

Tube Screamer Secret from BTE audio. Best virtual Tube Screamer you can get :D

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:19 pm

What? for what reason, just tone or ?? You certainly don't need it for gain.. :)
Well hey Boo I gotta run for a little while.
I'll TTYL
KM

Junior Paiz

Postby Junior Paiz » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:50 pm

McBarGig wrote:What? for what reason, just tone or ?? You certainly don't need it for gain.. :)
Well hey Boo I gotta run for a little while.
I'll TTYL
KM

It acts like a filter, hepling keep the sound tight. And adds some bite :D... no, not for the gain!

NTR

Postby NTR » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:49 am

McBarGig wrote:Oh OK, interesting, What is TSS?

Delivering the gain, yeah and I Cut it back from what the testers were getting. Smudge asked for that, I think he was right too. I'm gonna try and use Guts later to see if I can model DIG. Heck if thats the case then I coulda just gave you guys a Gut file :) But I don't think its totally possible as DIG has more filters that are all combined at the EQ to create wanted frequencies. You can probably get pretty close though. Like close enough that you may not notice a difference. The Gain and shape of the "Distorted wave" is what will be hard to do.

Here's something that I want to do. and This I'll give away as freeware as well. There was a person on this forum who wanted to make IR's from Pickups. I can't seem to get a hold of him cause I'd like to do that myself. But not to take his idea, but that would be a cool project. I left him a message saying that I would write the software for it. But have not heard back so I'm just wondering if we should just go ahead and do it.

KM

Hi, I haven't had the chance to try your work yet, but will soon. Thanks

Regarding the pickup impulses, you should really just go ahead with it if you have a plan in mind. I know the thread your refering to, and I can honestly say that the idea was not original in that post. A good idea yes, but myself, and I believe Alu(Wild hades) and a couple of others briefly discussed it on Dimi's forum way before that thread existed. I suggested it and Alu had some ideas on it, but no one really took it anywhere. I would point you to the thread, but I don't think DImi's forum exists anymore.

I can't claim the idea to be originally mine either. Who know how many may have tried this before? You should keep trying to get ahold of that guy though, he may have some good suggestions.

Come to think of it, Alu may have suggest curve EQ(Voxengo) as a possiblity?? Essentially an impulse is a form of eq anyway. I think for the software to work properly, it must take a snapshot of your existing pickup and deconvolve it. Then apply an impulse from a library of different pickups. It would take some work and time, and I think to get a decent pickup impulse library, you would have to enlist a good # of volunteers, with different pickups. It could be hit and miss for quality, as everybody has different equipment, preamps, interfaces etc. I still think it would be worthwhile. And we can't forget that the same pickup in the neck and middle will sound differnt than the bridge, so I am not sure how you would get around that. But I guess for starters, it could simply be a shell that takes an impulse of your pickup and saves it, then deconvolves, and from there, leave it up to users to share their own impulses.

Hope that sparks some ideas for you. I would love to see this come to be. I think this is the right community to pull it off. 8)

KrustyNoodle

Postby KrustyNoodle » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:03 am

McBarGig this is great stuff! I cant believe nobody's mentioned that you can get piezo type clean tones using Whisper, it's really awesome. I wish there was a way to dial in the exact amount of delay, or I might just have a crappy mouse, and the freq knob in the cab shaper requires me to move my mouse 2 1/2 feet or i have really short arms and a messy desk. Either way nice so far. I just need to mess with it more :alien:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/64c4c189-9e46-4aee-9c8b-bf1c0b97df99/krusty_piezo-clean
...it wasn't me i tell you.
http://wel-0.blogspot.com/

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:07 am

Thankls Crusty. Hold dopwn the shift key when you turn the knobs. That puts them in slow mode...Piezo, That is what I call Ultra Presence. Thanks, Peizo is a better description of it though.

ScottRiley

Postby ScottRiley » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:12 pm

KrustyNoodle wrote:McBarGig this is great stuff! I cant believe nobody's mentioned that you can get piezo type clean tones using Whisper, it's really awesome. I wish there was a way to dial in the exact amount of delay, or I might just have a crappy mouse, and the freq knob in the cab shaper requires me to move my mouse 2 1/2 feet or i have really short arms and a messy desk. Either way nice so far. I just need to mess with it more :alien:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/64c4c189-9e46-4aee-9c8b-bf1c0b97df99/krusty_piezo-clean

Nice clip! I'm loving the sounds from DIG and Whisper more and more lately, even on my frustratingly SLOW machine it's still a pleasure to use! I only wish I could get it working in Logic on my MacBook :(

Alec246

Postby Alec246 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:50 pm

KrustyNoodle wrote:McBarGig this is great stuff! I cant believe nobody's mentioned that you can get piezo type clean tones using Whisper, it's really awesome. I wish there was a way to dial in the exact amount of delay, or I might just have a crappy mouse, and the freq knob in the cab shaper requires me to move my mouse 2 1/2 feet or i have really short arms and a messy desk. Either way nice so far. I just need to mess with it more :alien:

Please share your settings with us man, nice sound that is!!

And what is it your playing BTW? Beautiful man, very well played

Edit : Would that be John Mayer Slow Dancing? Cause it sounded familiar

KrustyNoodle

Re: AcmeBarGig Software Release Here DIG 1.03 (Freeware)

Postby KrustyNoodle » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:21 am

@ScottRiley I keep a mac and pc in the house, unfortunately i dont have logic i just use cubase on the pc and yes my machine is slow..for now

@Alec246 thanks! i have no idea, just me noodling around 5min before hitting record.

I lost those settings but i kinda dialed in the sound and took a screenshot. Stock ibanez rg321 using parallel rear humbuckers (or pos 4) so make shure you're coil tapping or using single coils. My strings are over 1 year old lol!

krusty piezo settings.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
...it wasn't me i tell you.
http://wel-0.blogspot.com/

Alec246

Re: AcmeBarGig Software Release Here DIG 1.03 (Freeware)

Postby Alec246 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:48 am

Yayyyy dude, thx, gonna try that tomorrow!!

http://www.link-not-allowed.com/watch?v=iSM3FL7z ... annel_page

That´s where I heard the song, I´m probably going crazy, anyway..

1 year old? That´s why it sounds good then hhhahahahhahah, damn I wish I could do that, mine are all rusty 2 weeks after replacing

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:36 am

Hi Guys, I would have gotten back to you sooner but for some reason this thread is dicking me around. I can't even change the banner as I've moved DIG to its new permanent home and uploaded a public beta for one of our effects here. The banner should not even have DIG on it any longer. Technology. Just a FYI, That ultra presence module will be maling an appearance in Guts next version. So, those Piezo tones will be available for modelling in Snap Amps.. Te only thing that is bothering me about Whisper is the hiss. That is of a major concern to me. We'll see if i Can get rid of it before Whisper goes on the market though...

Thanks,
TTYL
Ken

Hired Goon

Re: AcmeBarGig Software Release Thread

Postby Hired Goon » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:14 pm

Masr74 wrote:I tested this in Reaper on my PC and it is really very unique amp sim. Its tweakability is really incredible.

As to the sound, I found some strange stereo floating when using presets with chorus. While majority of the tones sounded as if from the middle, one of the tones suddenly jumped aside in the stereo field. You can even bend the string playing that particular problematic note and you will hear how the stereo image slowly changes. This problematic notes differ from preset to preset. It is difficult for me to describe this in English. If it is not clear enough I could record an example and post it here. Could this be a result of stereo chorus applied on a mono track? Should I rather use this sim on stereo tracks? Or is this just some kind of bug?

:scratch:

Love the overall sound and tweakability too, but I agree with this guy - some of the patches sound a little weird with the stereo imaging that is inconsistent throughout the register.

Ken McLaren

Re: AcmeBarGig Software Release Thread

Postby Ken McLaren » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:32 am

Thanks Goon are you talking about in DIG or in Guts/Snap?

Also everyone note...I will not be around over the next little while as we are launching our website May 1st and I need to focus my attention to that...Thanks

km

GisleAune

Re: AcmeBarGig Software Experimental Cyan

Postby GisleAune » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:21 am

Are you going to include this one in Head Case?

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:39 pm

Yes, we'll call it head case ABG retro!

:)

GisleAune

Postby GisleAune » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:14 am

Why not call it Cyanide Head or Cyan Head?

are you going to standardise the design of it?

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:22 pm

Well that head is an experimental one that does some pretty crazy stuff, so we'll see how it goes..
KM

ico

Postby ico » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:39 pm

sounds cool, bass confuses me on a good day :) looking forward to trying this out :)

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:39 pm

A lot of the research that went into this experimental amp, ended up in G-SPOT and Shred.
-Tonal correction
-Tube Filtering
-Dynamic Tonestack
All come directly from Cyan
KM

Grem

Postby Grem » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:53 pm

Ken McLaren wrote:A lot of the research that went into this experimental amp, ended up in G-SPOT and Shred.
-Tonal correction
-Tube Filtering
-Dynamic Tonestack
All come directly from Cyan
KM

So this is where it all started?!!!! :lol:

I didn't read the whole thread but I did read a lot. I even was looking for Cyan and Dig on the website.I figured it would be under discontinued stuff. But, nope, it was right there all along. Just a different name!
Answer The Call
While You Still Hear It All
Cause Nobody Will If You Won't. DT

gremsongs.com

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:18 pm

This is actually the start...
http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=5167&hilit=12ax7

The very first plugin, single 12ax7, Duel Gain, which became DIG, 1.03 and version 2, then 2.5(discontinued), Whisper...There's a bunch of ABG folk lore in that thread. First time I met Lepou too..

KM

Return to “AcmeBarGig Plugins”