AcmeBarGig Software Experimental Cyan

AcmeBarGig Plugins
Agreed

Re: AcmeBarGig Software Release Thread

Postby Agreed » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:02 am

Ken, this software has so much potential. There are improvements that need to be made in order for it to be realized, but it's already possible to do some really cool stuff. I hope folks are enjoying the few amps I've made so far. Making them and tweaking the software generally has led me to a few points that I think will be useful to you, Ken, in further developing the software. I'm going to talk about them matter-of-factly but of course it's your prerogative to follow up on any of them or not, so I'll just state "in my opinion..." here at the outset and get that out of the way. So, without further ado-

In my opinion...

The first thing you should do is make the three EQs adjustable in a more straightfoward way. Leave in the HP/LP stuff because it's very cool and will play nicely with the new thing, but as part of GUTS I think you ought to allow the Bass and Treble EQ be switchable between Shelving with a definable center and Q, and Parametric within a defined bandwidth (say 90hz to 300hz for the bass, and from 3500hz to 7000hz for the treble); the midrange should be Parametric as well. This will allow users to tune the EQ of the amp much more specifically, and aid GREATLY in emulating existing amps as tone stack behavior can be more realistically achieved this way.

I would consider adding another parametric strip to your Cabinet Sim, as well; right now it allows you to shape the tone, but not to really sculpt it, but adding another band would probably make that possible. Even though your non-IR cabinet sim is one of the best non-IR, relatively non-complex cabinet sims I've ever used, if I may be frank I still think that it is the weakest element in getting a realistic tone simply because though the filtration does cut down the frequencies not present in a real guitar amp and cabinet system, the subtle interferences, resonances, and modulation of a real cabinet are poorly captured in any non-convolution based system that isn't extremely sophisticated. Your approach is very effective for getting a "DI box" tone that you can tune any way you like, but it needs to become more sophisticated if users are to be able to use it as the primary cabinet simulation for distribution of GUTS files (and I think that should be your goal, as it removes any problems associated with asking people to use separate cabinet sims - I love IRs and will continue to use them in my studio, mind you, but part of the draw of this software is that it allows you to virtually tune your own amp sound that anyone can then have, and that means the cabinet needs to be distributable as well). So spend some time refining the cabinet sim if you can, maybe compare how it sounds to how IRs sound... The big thing that I've noticed if I were to critique it broadly is that the midrange is very uncolored with Cabinet Shaper, while the midrange with a real cabinet or an IR is extremely colored. It's one of the defining elements of the sound. I think this is a result of using low- and highpass filters to narrow the frequencies down - that will get rid of the hash that makes the amp sim sound nothing like a real amp, but it does not go the distance to making it sound authentic on its own.

You've got a High Amp and a Low Amp, very handy functions for dialing in the exact amount of tight-versus-loose gain you want there... How about a Mid Amp for further tuning?

If I were you I would think about removing the Chorus and replacing it with a standard Chorus; its operation reminds me of another plugin you made, I think you know which one, and it's pretty freaky; people looking for chorus might not really know what to do with it :lol:

I'm sure I'll have more suggestions going forward. I encourage other testers to take some time and do what I'm doing here - don't pull any punches, Ken is a big boy and he can take critique, it's like miracle grow to the guy and you'll see the product blossom and become lush before your very eyes if you take the time to give Ken feedback!
My guitar gear review blog - Guitar hardware and software reviews and discussion for the modern musician.

Ken McLaren
antispam: 0

Postby Ken McLaren » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:03 am

Agreed as always Man, I love your thoughts on things great insight as always. The IR thing as you know I am not that well versed in, I have a routine for Cab shaper that uses IR, But to be completely honest with you I don't really know what it is supposed to feel/sound like so I can't say whether its any good or not. The 4th strip isalready added in the Cab Shaper. I was going to add IR as an option as well.

Thinking about it. There was another thread here on GAM where a guy wanted to use IR'S for pickups, I left him a message saying that I would like to be involved in that and would create a software to wrap the IR's they are creating. I was hoping to hear back from him I never did. This was another area I wanted to also make for the upgrade the ability to shape the sound as it comes into the signal path of the amp. So yes you got crappy pickups, no big deal I take a reading of what they are sending, compare that to what DUNCAN would send and apply frequency boosts and cuts, voila, you now are playing duncan pickups.. This is very easy to do. I would also spin that technology off as its own separate VST pickup emulator. There is a post on KVR from me where I also outlined some areas that will be improved. First is the scaling. I have made things too high in output. Gain does'nt need to be at 50000, likewise the bass treb and mid don't need settings of three. All of the eq setions are basically VCA's(for those of you who don't know this term, it stands for Voltage Controlled Amplifier), these will add more power into the signal which brings you closer to clip. Its one thing for me to work at .2 and .012 max settings, but to the general public, I think it gives them a feeling that things should be turned up, so what happens is they trun it up and get clip.
Then they feel like they did not succeed at creating an amp, then failure then, I hate this stupid thing.
In no uncertain terms, It is my job to Empower the people who use my software, and in that regard, I may have failed with this first release. We'll know better when we start hearing more GUT files. The Gut files btw serve another purpose for me. I can use them to judge whether people are getting what I am doing, it allows me a way of seeing whether they are getting the Gui or not. Just by the way in which an amp sounds you can tell a lot. Yours are getting better btw Agreed. The first ones were really good but these last ones are just great.

EQ's...Sliders with a knob up the top for frequency, I was thinking that may be easier to understand, to tune into your frequency. Chorus, Hmmm, I was thinking I got that one past you Agreed :) I know thats the only issue people are having. saying, hey man does that Chorus work, or I think I'm doing something wrong, I get no chorus sound. For a developer, in my opinion the worst thing that you can hear is they think they're doing something wrong. The user should always be able to turn a knob and something happens. But unfortunately The changes that happen in the signal path are not always audible until something else along the path changes. Once a user starts feeling like they are to blame for something not working you've just lost them. I studied software devlopment psych, Very interesting and important stuff. Like simple stuff, you want a user to take an action, or to strongly suggest they press a certain button, Make it green, The one you don't want them to press make it red. Simple stuff like that.

"You've got a High Amp and a Low Amp, very handy functions for dialing in the exact amount of tight-versus-loose gain you want there... How about a Mid Amp for further tuning?"
Already done as well as another filter.

Cab shaping, not sure what todo there yet. I'm gonna take a resarch day and check into IR.

The next thing I'm gonna post will probably be Pre-Ampus on acid, or Duel Gain.
But as for me , I just woke up sorry I have'nt ben around today, I planned on being here all day but as was said I had to get my dog to the vets and could'nt be here, But I figured the Beta tests were here for questions anyways, and no one, not even me really knows this stuff like you guys do. So who better to answer questions. I also worked for something like 2 days straight so I was burnt. Anyways, I don't know what the price point will be, We have to do some more foot work to make this happen but as I said I really don't want to sell anything for over $50.00 US. Its time someone came to the market with good effects and software and showed these $300-$900 morons that you don't have to sell for that price. That just greed. I only want to make a living, like everyone else, I am already rich by being able to do what I do.
People think I'm full of shit when I say that but, put yourself in my place, guitarist for 28 years, Software development for 20 years. Now decide that you want a Lexicon reverb. Build it. That simple, you are able to have any guitar amp or effect that you want, you just have to build it. So thats what I mean...

KM

smudge

Postby smudge » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:52 pm

Hi Agreed, although we are working at different ends of the sound spectrum your wish list is much the same as mine and many of the points you made are the same as I have reported back to Ken but I think you have made a much clearer summary of it all than I did. :D

smudge

Postby smudge » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:14 pm

and in that regard, I may have failed with this first release.

No way have you failed in any way Ken, this is just the beginning and can only get better, its great to get away from sims of fenders, marshalls etc and getting a sound I made and am happy with, there is a bit of a learning curve but any program like this will have. I get more of a buzz bringing in my own sounds than Tweedy or whatever on some sim.
Get the IR loader out to the testers Im sure we can soon get you up to speed on that one.
Give us a proper chorus, make sure it works in mono its the only way a lot of us work. :)

I have to say your cabshaper is the best eq type cabsim ive used and I would love to see that on the end of an IR reader.

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:53 pm

Is that Enhanced Cab Shaoper not on the server Smudge? I thought it was. I'll check and tanks man I appreciate it..
KM

angus

Postby angus » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:49 am

WOW :D Fantastic sound and you can dial in some really nice amptones. :arrow:
What about future will there be 3 products, Guts & Snap and D.I.G. or will Snap be gone or have I misunderstood something

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:33 am

Hey Angus, Guts and Snap will be staying... just not for free. DIG is another release that will take the place of Guts and Snap here. That will always be freeware, It was written for the members of GAM as they directed me on how to write it. Like what they wanted, etc. We may run another Public Beta of Guts in the next version, but nothing confirmed yet. Glad you got your copy though, and posted here, cause we'll make sure you get the upgrade... if you want it, public beta or not. Anyone who posts here will get notified where to get the next version, commmercial or not. As I said, free support and upgrades.
Thanks for posting and enjoy,

Also don't forget, if you come up with a killer amp, post it to the AcmeBarGig Gut file thread. We'd love to hear it. I, as well as a lot of the beta testers check them out and really enjoy seeing what people have come up with from our creation.

Thnaks again,
Ken
Last edited by Ken McLaren on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Musical Gym

Postby Musical Gym » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:13 am

New here, but would like to try the free stuff.
Jim

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:17 am

Try away jim, and if you have any reccomendations, or wish list, I woud love to hear them. For sure.
Thanks for checking it out, I appreciate it.
Ken

clifton

Postby clifton » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:18 pm

Ken, I downloaded Guts today and can't wait to try it tonight, someone mentioned earlier that it will work as VST in Revalver, meaning , that it should act as a standalone when used that way. Thanks for all of the hard work and letting the community download for free. Keep up the great work. :D

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:57 pm

clifton wrote:someone mentioned earlier that it will work as VST in Revalver, meaning , that it should act as a standalone when used that way. :D

I have not tested this and would be interested in knowing how it worked out, also, there is a standalone version, We just did'nt think anyone would want it. Would you like me to add that to the setup prog?
and you're welcome, thanks for checking it out..

EDIT: I checked into this clifton, and people are reporting it does work and the CPU was as low as 8% and as high as 17% I guess thats the difference between systems.
KM
Last edited by Ken McLaren on Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

smudge

Postby smudge » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:23 pm

Have been up all night testing the new amp and to make a change from the clean stuff I normally come up with here is something a bit rocky.
Everything is from the new Dig suite and a LesPaul, nothing groundbreaking (im past that stage in life :D ) its just an example of how good this amp sounds.

http://rapidshare-not-allowed.com/files/213946928/OldRock.rar

Hope you like it, now time to hobble off to bed with my cup of coco :lol:

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:19 am

Thanks Smudge I'll check that out.
Ken

hobbes1

Postby hobbes1 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:19 am

thank you for this work you have shared with GAM!

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:06 am

No problems hobbes, are you gonna take part in the Gut file contest?
Ken

ScottRiley

Postby ScottRiley » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:10 am

Can't wait to give this a spin, gonna be at my Windows machine for the longest time in a WHILE this weekend! :lol:

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:01 am

Thanks Scott...It is a time vortex. I've been working on a standard windows package called Gut Wrench, if I ever finish it you can use it to set skins for Snap and fine tune it too. Gut wrench will also have the ability to change the signal path by bypassing certain aspects or changing the order in which they appear. The part I'm stuck on though is the interpretation and prediction of the amp from a file. I want to be able to predict attack spikes, etc. It has to be able to read the gut file and report to the user what that amp is going to do by showing graphs etc.

YES, I did have this name in mind when I named Guts.

Ken

susiwong
antispam: 6

Postby susiwong » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:17 pm

Hi Ken,
really appreciate your work !
Just downloaded the setup, will give it a spin later today.
Many thanks,
susiwong

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:26 pm

No problems susi I really appreciate you downloading it. If you have any requests for it let me know..
Ken

Agreed

Postby Agreed » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:31 am

Ken, just a point for clarity's sake:

when you talk about Guts & Snap being public beta, you should clarify that beta testers who get in on it while it's free will become fully licensed users when it's released commercially. That's very easy to understand, standard language for this sort of thing. As you've been phrasing it I could see people being confused as to exactly what's going on here (and some have, a user over at KVR declined to test because he was unhappy that he could be using it one day and the next day have to pay for it). People need to understand that part of the give-and-take of beta is that you're making them fully licensed, if NFR, users when the software goes commercial. I think this community is such that people would help you test it even if they never thought they'd get it for free when it came out - I love this place! But I think it would be good for you to make clear what the whole circumstances are, especially for new members of the community and emigres from KVR who've come over to test it out.

Excited about D.I.G.... :)
My guitar gear review blog - Guitar hardware and software reviews and discussion for the modern musician.

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:20 am

OK Everyone...What Agreed said!!

:)

Not sure how to write that, but will make sure it is done tomorrow, writing code tonight...

Thanks Man, you've been a great support through this whole process...
KM

VibeLizard

Re: AcmeBarGig Software Release DIG 1.03 Released here today

Postby VibeLizard » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:33 pm

Have not hadlots of time to play with Guts and Snap but I like what I hear and see. Seems to work great in Sonar 7 and for som reason I tried it in Fruityloops (works there also).

tekshino

Postby tekshino » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:57 pm

thanks for this awesome plugin!!
just tryed this gem.....it sounds really nice man!! :)

Junior Paiz
antispam: 6

Postby Junior Paiz » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:27 pm

Little clip using DIG (don't mind the sloppy playin' please)
Sections 1 and 3 of the clip have TSS before DIG. No post EQ.
http://www.mediafire-not-allowed.com/?3jyohngozmf

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:36 pm

You guys are welcome, and thanks for checking it out
KM

Hey Boo that was interesting, were you using the preamp or the suite, and what did you do for cabinet??
Was that Kefir? or Cab Shaper?
KM
Last edited by Ken McLaren on Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “AcmeBarGig Plugins”