AcmeBarGig Software Experimental Cyan

AcmeBarGig Plugins
homerzeppelin

Re: AcmeBarGig Software Release Thread

Postby homerzeppelin » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:23 pm

I like this idea. I'm in for the beta testing.

RunBeerRun

Postby RunBeerRun » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:40 pm

These are awesome, nice Synthmaker plugs. They handle external distortions well, I can't stand amp sims where distortions just saturate it.

emanresuym
antispam: 6

Postby emanresuym » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:43 pm

thank you.this is a great idea you have here.

Agreed

Postby Agreed » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:49 pm

RunBeerRun wrote:These are awesome, nice Synthmaker plugs. They handle external distortions well, I can't stand amp sims where distortions just saturate it.

Ken, could you speak a bit on your programming process? I'm not sure if I represented you correctly over at KVR, I said that I thought these are hand-coded but RBR here says they use Synthmaker knobs and preset manager. I don't want to be spreading inaccuracies, could you clear that up for me please?
My guitar gear review blog - Guitar hardware and software reviews and discussion for the modern musician.

dickiefunk

Postby dickiefunk » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:07 pm

Looking forward to trying this out! Sign me up for any beta testing!

Don Tonberry

Postby Don Tonberry » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:26 pm

Nice work on this, I'll try it when I have time today

Laguna Rising

Postby Laguna Rising » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:35 pm

Cool ! I look forward to try it in the basement 8)

Cheers

zeoy

Postby zeoy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:52 pm

Thanx for that Mr BarGig! Looks great. I'll check how it sounds and report back very soon.

Masr74

Postby Masr74 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:54 pm

Thanks for the generous offer; I am just going to test it. It looks great. Lets see how it sounds.
Marek

mullet888

Postby mullet888 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:12 pm

Cheers.. looking forward to checking this out.. :D

Ken McLaren
antispam: 0

Postby Ken McLaren » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:39 pm

Hi guys, Wow great! Glad to see you guys are likeing our efforts. And Nikko, whats to be said about his skins? He has done a great job! Agreed check your mailbox..
KM

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:46 pm

Tink, Yeah I'm hoping we can create a thread for sharing Gut files, I should have done that already. But great Idea Someone should do that...
Ken

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:53 pm

Thanks RBR, yep, without the ASM though it would'nt be worth the overhead. It was an experiment, and for the most part I'm happy with it. I think I'll stay the course.

KM

Agreed

Postby Agreed » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:12 pm

Here's what I just made to move the ball down the field :)

Agreed's Modern Hi-Gain and Agreed's Modern Hi-Gain 2 (what did you expect from me, cleans? :lol: )

With these, I was going for a straight-forward, modern high-gain tone. Lots of bandwidth, lots of distortion, a balance of low end, midrange, and highs. The difference between 1 and 2 is that I tuned 1 to have a slightly less forward midrange and a more bottom-resonant cabinet, so it's got a lot of "thud" to it that some metal players will like. Version 2 has a punchier midrange and a more refined, less thumping low end, as well as a modified treble profile. Between the two of these you should be able to get a metal tone you enjoy, and maybe it'll help some newcomers understand a little bit more about the software.

Agreed's Modern Hi-Gain GUTs file
Agreed's Modern Hi-Gain 2 GUTS file

Clip with Agreed's Modern Hi-Gain One
My guitar gear review blog - Guitar hardware and software reviews and discussion for the modern musician.

Robitaille20

Postby Robitaille20 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:28 pm

You guys are killing me here! I just want to go home and try this! It can't be said enough...thanks so much for the MORE than generous offer to the people here!

Masr74

Postby Masr74 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:42 pm

I tested this in Reaper on my PC and it is really very unique amp sim. Its tweakability is really incredible.

As to the sound, I found some strange stereo floating when using presets with chorus. While majority of the tones sounded as if from the middle, one of the tones suddenly jumped aside in the stereo field. You can even bend the string playing that particular problematic note and you will hear how the stereo image slowly changes. This problematic notes differ from preset to preset. It is difficult for me to describe this in English. If it is not clear enough I could record an example and post it here. Could this be a result of stereo chorus applied on a mono track? Should I rather use this sim on stereo tracks? Or is this just some kind of bug?

:scratch:

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:43 pm

Agreed very cool, What kind of amp would you say this is? Very interesting, there is a kinda high end fuzz onit that is very cool. I'm gonna be curious to see where the settings are in Gut. That's gonna be cool when people start posting their gut fuiles here eh? I put a thread on here for that now too. That amp I bet the sustain is killer, you can hear it.
KM

Agreed

Postby Agreed » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:55 pm

The amps I made remind me a lot of the Peavey XXX, actually.

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:01 pm

No its not a bug, shhh don't say that too loud you'll wake them up :) The stereo chorus in Guts mdulates frequencies around the stereo spectrum. I actually was'nt gonna call that a chorus, more a stereo frequency rotator type of thing. It can put a certain frequency in a spot in the stereo spectrum.

One of the by products of it is a chorus like effect. But I did'nt want to name it something that people would'nt understand so I called it a chorus. Hope that clears things up. You may even loose the chorus alltogether when you record in Mono. Be interesting to see what happens there. Something I didn't try.

Incidentally, that effect, the "chorus" type thing, is going to be part of a mastering suite I am working on. I want to use it to allow you to pan your instruments by Frequency. Just another experiment, but may turn out to be cool. I say pan but really what I want it to do is allow you to have a greater separatation between different instruments. Which is always a problem in mixing.

The idea is this, just to go a little further. You would add this effect and send multiple tracks to it. Then each track would have a frequency knob and frequency gain +/- 30db. It would also have a pan knob. Then you would select the frequencies for each track, and then pan them wherever you want. It would also blend with a dry mix as well so it could be as subtle or as enhanced as you want.

Ken

Tink

Postby Tink » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:06 pm

Ok, I hate to be the dumb one here, but I was expecting a .dll or something that I could put in my vst folder. Can i get the 'Just for Dummies' version of how to do this?

billkuhl

Postby billkuhl » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:36 pm

Thanks for this. I'll be playing and trying to come up with some good ideas for it.

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:51 pm

Tink It is an install program. Just download and unrar and run the setup. It will ask you where your VST plugins folder is and navigate to it.

If you need more help PM me

KM

Agreed

Postby Agreed » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:25 pm

Cross-posting from Ken's new Guts Files Posting Thread, where any future GUTs files I make will go.

My last post on the topic for a little while. This is a high-gain patch I made for use with external IRs. Here, I'm using Aradaz OUR cabinet sim, with a 90/10 blend of Alu's great Mesa 1 and Noa's Soldano, sample-delay of 3 samples to focus the sound. This patch is intended to get somewhere close to a Mesa Mark III or Mark IV sound, certainly not exact but that was my goal in tweaking it and I only spent a little time on it. Please excuse the very sloppy playing on the clip, I have to get back to a paper but I wanted to show that this isn't limited to the internal cabinet sim if for some reason you find it difficult to work with, or, like me, have a huge library of IRs that you'd often prefer to use. Cabinet sims are neat but IRs are Where It's At as far as I'm concerned (not to disparage Ken's work on the cabinet shaper, it is a fine DI-style cabinet sim but IRs are very good technology)

Agreed Hi-Gain for IR (Markish) GUT file

Tink

Postby Tink » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:04 am

Maybe it's the scotch. I don't know what else to blame it on. thanks for pointing out the obvious that was right under my nose, KM.

Talk about some serious Tweakability! I'm really excited to start checking out other people's patches and see what people who actually might know what they are doing can come up with.

McLowery

Postby McLowery » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:24 am

This is a really cool thing! I've only played around with it for about an hour but I've tweaked a few patches that sounded really nice. I haven't read any of the literature that came along with it either so I am sure there's a plethora of things I don't know in it too!

I really like it being almost the whole thing one needs to use to get the right sound and is a fraction of the size of Amplitube and GR.

Return to “AcmeBarGig Plugins”