X64-Bit versions?

AcmeBarGig Plugins
Hellraezer
antispam: 6

X64-Bit versions?

Postby Hellraezer » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:32 pm

Why can't I get a 64-bit version of AcmeBarGig's stuff? The old argument about: "just use JBridger" is getting old. I refuse to use 32-bit plugins, bridged or not. 32-bit can't process memory over 4GB, so with 32-bit plugins, you're going to run out of memory headroom and your mix and performance will suffer because of it.

PVDHP

Re: X64-Bit versions?

Postby PVDHP » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:05 pm

Can't get to it at all, seems like only 1 plugin instance can't allocate any more than of 4 gb ram, right? Head Case does not consume that much. Your 64bit DAW still uses more than 4gb anyway. So even if you have a very fat sampler which is 4gb you can run many of those! What is the deal? As many people report they don't see any performance growth using 64bit plugins.

jorismak

Postby jorismak » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:44 pm

"can't access memory over 4GB", it's actually "can't use more than 4GB"... and even then, it's often 2GB (although most x86 DAWs can use the full 4GB in 32bit, 'large address aware').

"That your performance will suffer because of it" -> why? VST processing is mostly done in 32bit floating point anyway, x86-64 or amd64 will not do much with that. Things like SSE, SSE2, AVX can help with that and those work on x86 too :).
Your performance will suffer if your DAW is running out of memory (the DAW hosts the plugins, so the memory count is per process so your DAW counts as 1, so your DAW can't access more than 4GB). If you have big samplers it can matter... I haven't used a session that uses more than 900mb at a time, but that's me.

What you mean with "running out of headroom" or "running out of memory headroom" I don't get. You want to reserve some memory or what? Memory headroom?

And the simple reason is: AcmeBarGig didn't work on his plugins for years (And maybe even in the last weeks is showing sign of life and improvements). It sounds like your whiningly waiting for some old 10 year old plugin to magically become 64bit, and I doubt you need.

I'm with you that any recently released plugin should target x64.. it's the standard these days.. but somehow thinking that old abandoned plugins suddenly get a x64 rework.. no. That's what bridging is for: Keeping old legacy plugins alive.

Grem

Postby Grem » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:17 pm

Hellraezer wrote:Why can't I get a 64-bit version of AcmeBarGig's stuff?

Because the developers never wrote a 64 bit version. End of short story.

Long story... is really too much to get into. Just be glad you do have access to what is available. :)

I can suggest that you install a 32bit copy of the DAW you use. Do your recording with Headcase in that environment. Then take the stems into the 64bit DAW.
Answer The Call
While You Still Hear It All
Cause Nobody Will If You Won't. DT

gremsongs.com

gUsTaV

Postby gUsTaV » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:19 am

Hellraezer wrote:... so with 32-bit plugins, you're going to run out of memory headroom and your mix and performance will suffer because of it.

Lol! Almost pee'd my pants when I saw that!!!

alexG

Postby alexG » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:50 pm

Most of DAWS have 64/32 Bridges for such cases. The bidge of Cubase is litle bit buggy it doesnt works correctly on win7 but it works on win10. If you want use hc for private use you can look on reaper it has 60 trials days and costs not soo much(60 $) for private use. it sheeps some fx with it. its 64/32 works fine both on win 7 and win 10.

nebdj

Postby nebdj » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:34 pm

Any serious plugin maker should really have a 64bit version of their plugin. It's been well more than a decade that we started using 64 bit systems and pretty much any computer that is still usable is 64 bit.

If your host application is 32 bit - you only get up to 4Gb of ram. Nearly not enough in many cases. It may be ok for physical modelling stuff, but anything with samples will eat more ram.

Having said that - I do have one plugin that I love and the manufacturer refuses to release a 64bit version. It's a well known company (T.C. Electronic) and even though people asked for it - they have yet to release a 64bit version. I recently stopped using it and sent a message to T.C Electronic about it.

I hear that 32 LIVES plugin is actually much better than jBridge so that may be something you could try if you really, really want to use 32bit plugins in 64bit host http://www.11dmedia.com/32-lives.html
Dj,
Gig Performer - Cross-platform plugin host for live performances
http://www.gigperformer.com

jorismak

Postby jorismak » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:04 pm

The problem is often old free plugins made in synthmaker which limits things to 32bit.
I don't know of any plugin that's new in last two years that's 32bit only. Isn't that TC thing really old as well ?

32Lives was mac only I believe.

And the problem isn't really the bridging. JBridge worked fine when I tried it. And I never found a 32bit plugin that won't run in 64bit Reaper.
The problem is that bridging doesn't get you any of the gains of 64bit :).

This all being said, I never had much issue with 32bit projects and plugins. Since most of my projects are completely recorded I don't use so much memory. I think close to 1gb is the most ram any project of mine used :).

I have more respect for people facing 64bit only plugins while on a 32bit OS. It's apparently time to upgrade in those cases.

I use epicVerb and other stuff from bootsy quite often , even today. Long live Reaper with integrated bridging I guess :).

wakeguitar

Postby wakeguitar » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:02 am

Ken, please release x64 versions of achmebargig stuff :).

thanks man

Return to “AcmeBarGig Plugins”