Old ABG plugins still rule.

AcmeBarGig Plugins
Spacemouton
antispam: 6

Old ABG plugins still rule.

Postby Spacemouton » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:41 am

I don't come often to this forum anymore. Because I have grown tired of all the fuss about who's got the most non-linear distortion, about how ampsims are useless compared to the real deal, the tube amps with their true organic warmth, and so on.
Most of us get lost in considerations of which we do not understand the fundamentals.

I propose that for an instant we come back to what matters, the sound.
Let us use our ears, and hear how irrelevant the race to "the best ampsim ever" is to producing a good track.
I am not saying people like Ken, Lepou or Alu should stop aiming at new horizons and improving their models. Nevertheless all of this is not a purpose in itself for us musicians. Amps are a tool, a tool through which we can express ourselves to make art. And while tools come and go, the art remains. You love your favourite albums because of the songs, not because of that vintage Marshall or whatever was used.

To support my point, here is a track using the Preampus Metal C15, and while it might not be the masterpiece of the century, I think it achieves a sound that is on par with what people expect from a good metal amp-recording. It serves the song.
https://soundcloud.com/megaptere/lacher-prise

Cheers

Ken McLaren
antispam: 0

Re: Old ABG plugins still rule.

Postby Ken McLaren » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:26 pm

I agree, but I also want to add that Head Case was designed so that the (virtual) amp itself also becomes part of the artistic expression, more so than just eq/gain adjustment that you have with the "models". (Head Case heads by design cannot be classified as a models.)

wakeguitar

Postby wakeguitar » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:31 am

I must say that I agree and that I hope Ken and the community can get some sort of free webhosting or something like that done which also allows for donation/payment.

I am really curious as to the next product/update coming.

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:10 pm

Well, before I had to take my hiatus,(A break to get my health in order), I wanted to expand the products to include a live amp. That is still the plan. However there has been a couple of modifications to that plan. First is to answer the question why digital amps, including sims, virtual amps, and DSP based hardware are harder to hear than a standard amp when using them in a band setting. Once we have a handle on that, then I want to build the software in such a way that it fully supports Windows XP.

The idea is simple, a lot of people have old laptops that would make great live rigs if we could get the performance from the software. Cost might be about 20 USD.

That would be a great project for me to ease my way back into working...

mr-es335

Postby mr-es335 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:34 pm

Ken,
Well, before I had to take my hiatus,(A break to get my health in order)...
...Well, I sincerely hope that you are doing well and life is improving for you?

I wanted to expand the products to include a live amp...why digital amps, including sims, virtual amps, and DSP based hardware are harder to hear than a standard amp when using them in a band setting.
...Very true...and interesting!

Once we have a handle on that, then I want to build the software in such a way that it fully supports Windows XP.
...Ken, I use a piece of software called Software Audio Console http://www.softwareaudioconsole.com - and it is truly a great piece of software - especially for use in live performance and works just great under Windows XP - which I currently use and love with an IBM T500.

The point is, you "idea" is perfectly valid. How about a non-metal amp for us older folks - who are geared more towards the blues/jazz genres?

Thank you, Ken!
mr_es335

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:30 pm

mr-es335 wrote:Ken,
Well, before I had to take my hiatus,(A break to get my health in order)...
...Well, I sincerely hope that you are doing well and life is improving for you?

I wanted to expand the products to include a live amp...why digital amps, including sims, virtual amps, and DSP based hardware are harder to hear than a standard amp when using them in a band setting.
...Very true...and interesting!

Once we have a handle on that, then I want to build the software in such a way that it fully supports Windows XP.
...Ken, I use a piece of software called Software Audio Console http://www.softwareaudioconsole.com - and it is truly a great piece of software - especially for use in live performance and works just great under Windows XP - which I currently use and love with an IBM T500.

The point is, you "idea" is perfectly valid. How about a non-metal amp for us older folks - who are geared more towards the blues/jazz genres?

Thank you, Ken!

Yes for sure we'll be doing some older "warm tube" sounding type amps.. Well, let me rephrase that, we'll be attempting to do some "Warm" tube type amps. In my opinion, that is the hardest tone and dynamic to get on computer.. Anyone can make a metal amp, in fact you don't even need to code to make metal amp, you can make one from existing effects and filters.. I'll check the software out you mentioned as well..

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:26 am

Space,

You nailed the truth, rubber to the road. Only exception I take to your post is that "old" is relative. If state of the art was created several years ago, and is still state of the art, not old. You and me at least got enough of an ear to evaluate truth. Cheers to you my friend in digital combat.

Holy Allah, playing along drunk to some ancient mp3. HeadCase howl and scream is unparalled. Nothing remotely is in the same league.

So many good sims and distorts out there. Even the old IK Amplitube 2 is cool. S-Gear, Guitar Rig even, freeware bandits. So many.

Good units but have never captured what Ken achieved.

Damnable grief for me is that HeadCase never got off the commercial ground the way it should have happened.

Still remember and respect the balls to the wall crank out Ken was doing in the earlier days. Incredible plugs for free, but at a health crisis for the dev.

HeadCase still rules the digital universe. There are some close seconds, but only one HeadCase.

Ken mentioning a new software. Can't understand a word of what is happening, but it gots to be great if Ken is at the helm.

Love to all you guys,

John k

atalwar

Postby atalwar » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:10 am

JohnK wrote:playing along drunk to some ancient mp3. HeadCase howl and scream is unparalled. Nothing remotely is in the same league.

:cheers: :lol:
Once a Head Case, Always HeadCase.

Current Gear:
Guitars: PRS Singlecut Korina (SD JB set), Ibanez S470 (SD Distortion set),Pimped up Squier CV 60's Strat/BPNCS, Epiphone Acoustic,Aria Jazz Bass,

Amps/Pedals: VHT Special 6 Ultra Stack ,BlackStar 1HR Amp, SD Twin Tube, Catlinbeard DLS MKIII, Roland Cube 30x, Zoom G1Xon MultiFx, NUX OD-2 Overdrive, NUX EQ-7, Korg Exp2 Pedal, Roland DP10 pedal,

Keys: Korg Pa600 Arranger Keyboard, Korg Kronos 2 61 Key Workstation,Samson Graphite 49 Midi controller.

Recording: Shure Beta58, SM57, Nova Condenser Mic, Presonus Eris E5 Monitors,Steinberg UR44, Yamaha MG10XU Mixer, Behringer Ultra G DI100,,Paradigm Reference Speakers.
....not nuff time.

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:39 am

Just had a guy over to jam. Has a pervasive network of high end hardware and software. Way more than I could afford. Established Mac studio and a professional guitarist.

Plugged in his beautiful elite Ibanez hollow body in Reaper over here. Sustain and recoil through HeadCase was mind blowing to the guy. Just one more testimony from the wilderness that HeaCase rules.

John

Vasyl Mishchenko

Postby Vasyl Mishchenko » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:40 am

Amit I really like your signature :wink:
JohnK HeadCase is one of my faves of all time, we're all in the same boat, it truly delivers in tons :cheers:

dennyps4

Postby dennyps4 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:27 pm

Well said Space, Just use the tools and make music, stop fussing over what is what and why. If it sounds good, it is good.
I know Ken will be back when he feels the time is right. Then we will have another spell of excitement and interest. For now, write something! I only come here to see if Ken is back, lol. 8)

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:13 am

Broken record from way out here. Same suks your breath down moment with HeadCase.

Got my earplugs in to preserve what left of the sense. Thrashing away at hi volume and going thru the litany of amp sims and distortion suites.

Shit... S-Gear, AmpLion, Amplitube, Guitar Rig, Kuassa stuff, freeware sims, Revalver, Pod Farm, Devil Pro whatever it is. Then all the demos like the OverLoud thing and so many others. Even my love afair with the fine fine Plug&Mix stomps.

Ain't nothing that can recreate the howling recoil and sustain of HeadCase.

This one broke the mold and ain't going to go nowhere obsolete in our limited life spans.

Incredible piece of software engineering.

If Ken never delivers another version of anything, HeadCase is so far above the mark it may never be met, or realized by the digital community that it set a new standard.

Thanks Ken, incredible sounds.

John

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:49 am

Started working on Head Case 2.. :)

So.. As promised..
All versions between 1.54 up to 2.0 are now freeware. Version 2 when available, will be the same price as 1.54.. Its a long way off to release yet, but the interesting news is this..
Head Case 2.0 will be available in 32 bit and 64 bit Native VST, and AU (Yes MAC) to follow.. :cheers:

Version 1.54 was an important release in that it showed us features that did not work, or get used. So over the next little while there will be updates to it to remove unused features, as well as adding some new promised features.

Slicklickz

Postby Slicklickz » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:05 pm

Ken McLaren wrote:Started working on Head Case 2.. :)

So.. As promised..
All versions between 1.54 up to 2.0 are now freeware. Version 2 when available, will be the same price as 1.54.. Its a long way off to release yet, but the interesting news is this..
Head Case 2.0 will be available in 32 bit and 64 bit Native VST, and AU (Yes MAC) to follow.. :cheers:

Version 1.54 was an important release in that it showed us features that did not work, or get used. So over the next little while there will be updates to it to remove unused features, as well as adding some new promised features.

This is the best news so far this year.My only question so far is will the Mac version be AU only or will there be a Mac VST?Thanks Ken.

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:27 am

I'm 99% sure we'll be doing both.

Slicklickz

Postby Slicklickz » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:57 am

Ken McLaren wrote:I'm 99% sure we'll be doing both.

Thanks Ken,I don't really use Logic much these days so I only really care about the VST.

Savage1969

Postby Savage1969 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:54 pm

Mr. McLaren, as soon as you mentioned 64bit, anything you do is sold. Count me in, take my money. Thanks again for all you've done and do, sincerely.

Grem

Postby Grem » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:22 pm

JohnK wrote:
This one broke the mold and ain't going to go nowhere obsolete in our limited life spans.

Incredible piece of software engineering.

If Ken never delivers another version of anything, HeadCase is so far above the mark it may never be met, or realized by the digital community that it set a new standard.

Thanks Ken, incredible sounds.

John

Yep. You said it very well John.

Thanks Ken.
Love ya man!! : )
Answer The Call
While You Still Hear It All
Cause Nobody Will If You Won't. DT

gremsongs.com

Return to “AcmeBarGig Plugins”