Head Case wide spread testing thread

AcmeBarGig Plugins
atalwar
antispam: 0

Re: Head Case wide spread testing thread

Postby atalwar » Wed May 02, 2012 5:12 pm

Ken,Mastermind,
I was able to download and install the engl head (in lite)
from the mediafire-not-allowed link as posted above.
i'll try it out for tone later tonight.
Once a Head Case, Always HeadCase.

Current Gear:
Guitars: PRS Singlecut Korina (SD JB set), Ibanez S470 (SD Distortion set),Pimped up Squier CV 60's Strat/BPNCS, Epiphone Acoustic,Aria Jazz Bass,

Amps/Pedals: VHT Special 6 Ultra Stack ,BlackStar 1HR Amp, SD Twin Tube, Catlinbeard DLS MKIII, Roland Cube 30x, Zoom G1Xon MultiFx, NUX OD-2 Overdrive, NUX EQ-7, Korg Exp2 Pedal, Roland DP10 pedal,

Keys: Korg Pa600 Arranger Keyboard, Korg Kronos 2 61 Key Workstation,Samson Graphite 49 Midi controller.

Recording: Shure Beta58, SM57, Nova Condenser Mic, Presonus Eris E5 Monitors,Steinberg UR44, Yamaha MG10XU Mixer, Behringer Ultra G DI100,,Paradigm Reference Speakers.
....not nuff time.

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Wed May 02, 2012 5:20 pm

Yep I got it too but I cannot test it right now because I am trying to get my new monitors setup. For some reason my new monitor drivers are not liking the creative drivers? As a result of loosing my left vision I was finding it hard to read the screen so I went nuts and bought two 40 inch monitors! I have had that song, "I can see clearly now the rain has gone" playin in my head ever since.. haha :)

The head looks gret BTW Mastermind. This is a great opportunity for us to point out some design tips and such with you.
I missed your question about the manual...
You know as we moved forward with the development the manual just kept getting bigger and bigger until we finally decided that a 1000 page manual was not going to help at all. So instead what we're going to do is create videos for it. What we can do in a 2 minute video would take like 30 pages of text. Once we have the Asylum finished (Head Case's Home) we'll post the videos there. In the mean time we wanted to do this test without a manual to see if people could get through the Builder without a manual. So far so good, although there are for sure a lot of questions. Feel free to ask and we'll try to answer as best we can.,.

Here is a Video for Head Case complete and File operations
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7630363/Releases/HeadCase/AsylumVideos/FileOps.mp4
In the above video we used head case complete not the lite version which you have from this thread. The difference in file operations is that you can have Head Categories in the HC complete version (we tested up to 7000). You can also have 7000 heads per category. We only tested up to 7000 heads, but they are just files so its unknown how many you can actually have...? Thats pretty much based on what your system can handle. Either way, I doubt anyone will reach that amount..

This is a video that discusses the input level setting.(Extremely important!)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7630363/Releases/HeadCase/AsylumVideos/InputSettings.mp4
In this video we once again used head case complete, but we used the stand alone EXE for the builder. We did this because the stand alone has some extended properties that don't appear in the VST version. In the VST version you do not have to set the driver, so just ignore the part about selecting the driver and the input ports. You are only interested in the blue button settings.

sjc
antispam: 6

Postby sjc » Wed May 02, 2012 7:27 pm

Mastermind, I was able to dl the head & get it installed no probs. I've never played through an Engl but your head seems to have the brute force they are known for :)

I played around for a bit. Had to lower the bass quite a bit to get a sound I thought would work well in a mix...bet then again I have to do that with my heads to. I usually get the head sounding how I would like it live then eq the low out when mixing. That's just how I do it and that certainly doesn't mean it right lol... You did a good job of getting a lot of gain without a lot of noise, something I struggle with. Thanks for posting it.

~scott

Vasyl Mishchenko

Postby Vasyl Mishchenko » Wed May 02, 2012 7:44 pm

Thanx, mastermind! Your head sounds great to me (rather ENGLish (not English :) ) in terms of resemblance). How about a Bogner Uberschall? You made a pretty good one for Vandal as I remember. Anyways, thanx again.

mastermindjacquard

Postby mastermindjacquard » Wed May 02, 2012 10:29 pm

(How about a Bogner Uberschall? You made a pretty good one for Vandal as I remember. Anyways, thanx again.)

sure no prob |\m/ my goal is to make like a 100 amp database for headcase! (im serious not being sarcastic) (no really)
i wanna try doing fortin mods to marshalls in there too maybe voodoo make a list of the amps you think for a open source amp database

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Thu May 03, 2012 1:07 am

Well we're here to support whgatever it is you want to do. I'm sure Dalton and Ampskindesigns.com will help out as well..

bajm6277

Postby bajm6277 » Thu May 03, 2012 1:30 am

Every so often a deep gurgling sound occurs but goes away once i change filter cab? By the way the Fireball 100 sounds great.

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Thu May 03, 2012 4:28 am

Great.. That was one of the flaws I hoped to expose here on this test. It came up in testing at the beta site and I thought I fixed it because everyone stopped getting it. Good to know eitherway whether it was still there or not..
Thanks man, I'll have to revisit it..

Yes as Dalton says, send pm's and we'll try to get back to you ASAP. The other ooption as well is to try the head case group on face book for live chat..

:)

mastermindjacquard

Postby mastermindjacquard » Thu May 03, 2012 12:46 pm

(Well we're here to support whgatever it is you want to do. I'm sure Dalton and Ampskindesigns.com will help out as well..)

awesome just want to put it out that the engl skin is one of amp skins from http://www.ampskindesigns.com/
i will probably use them mostly there great work.
i have a limited understanding of this stuff to put it out there

a couple questions or possibly requests anyone out there that knows.
in builder is 2 gain stages equal to 1 tube? or 1 gain stage equal to 1 tube?
are there particular part of the curve that represent cathode resistor and cathode capacitors as for re-creations? if not can it be done?
also is there a possible grid resistor and coupling cap per stage (low high cut per stage) maybe part of the curve?
is it possible to map out dtcc curve with graphical representation of correspondence with parts?

i found a book rider, inside the vacuum tube with transfer curve plots corresponding to parts but the curve different than dtcc

thanx guys id like to create a large database of amps for headcase

2qiller2

Postby 2qiller2 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:04 pm

Hi, I've made a head for headcase, I know it sucks so hard, but it was my first try, and maybe i'll upload a better version later... Anyway, here it is. ver. 1 http://www.mediafire-not-allowed.com/i/?sf7mt7wbbvyo7bc
Last edited by 2qiller2 on Thu May 03, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Thu May 03, 2012 5:12 pm

Each curve would represent one tube, and in HC we encapsulate functions around that curve and call it a gain stage. Although you don't see it at each curve, at first glance it would seem that we are simply adding a curve and calling it a gain stage. This is not the case as there are precuts, and channel cuts as well as other properties (C-GAIN, EVEN Harmonics, Channel Max Drive, etc.) that also get applied at each curve thus making it a whole stage(not in the classic sense though)...
The Precuts in combination with the channel cuts represents any RC (resistor, capacitor) filtering that you typically see in these areas and are encaplsulated as well as other properties like max drive. We plan on extending this section in up coming versions where you can have dedicated cuts per curve as well as code the filter itself. We have not added that yet because we don't want to get too complex on our first kick at the can, but the infrastructure to do this is already in place in head case 1.53.

In practice..
You can have a two channel head where both channels have a different set of cuts, however, both channels will share the precuts and all stages will share the channel cuts.

are there particular part of the curve that represent cathode resistor and cathode capacitors as for re-creations?

I know what you are getting at here, and we have thought about this a little. There are curves that you can find that represent entire systems, not just tubes, but in this case I have not found a way to use them to represent anything in particular. Its kind of confusing to to explain, but I'll give it a shot. If you have a curve that represents an entire system, that includes cuts and you apply that curve to a HC gain stage, you would think that you could just bypass the cuts and voila your amp sounds like the curve. Wrong, because all that curve represents is a non linear behaviour. (Think of that as distortion) it does not represent tone. It represents how the signal would behave on that system with all ITS cuts applied. DTCC means Dynamic Transfer Characteristic Curve.

(Its a good job I'm not a teacher, I think I confused myself there.. haha. Maybe someone else can do a better explanation of this, feel free to.)

is it possible to map out dtcc curve with graphical representation of correspondence with parts?

I don't thin you can use the HC DTCC for too much other than to draw out a curve with its own interface. However, all you need is the data in WAVE file format. There is supposed to be a way in spice of getting it to create data plots of curves, but I have not found it yet. Truth be told I have not really been looking at how to do it either, but if you could do that and get the data in a readable ascii form, then it would be nothing to provide a conversion routine to create a curve file from it. SPICE has models of 12AX7, 12AU7, etc, all kinds of tubes and other stuff that could be used...Anyways, thats where I would start for sure..

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Thu May 03, 2012 5:19 pm

Right on 2qiller2, It installed without a hitch here... I'll have to test it out later though.

@everyone
Just for you guys to know, the head distributins are just JPEG image files so you can upload them like any other JPEG image. If you get drop box (free BTW), then you can put IMG tags around the image and people can see what your head looks like too.

sjc

Postby sjc » Thu May 03, 2012 8:08 pm

2qiller2 That's a good first try & no it doesn't suck. I played around for a few minutes and had a good crunchy tone. Keep at it, it's addicting! :D

~scott

Leirbagpdl

Postby Leirbagpdl » Thu May 03, 2012 9:23 pm

Here I send my Head. I just finish it.

I'm still learning to use Headcase. Most of the time I struggle with the volume and hiss - but I think it's more because I'm a newbie at it and have a half bad equipment. (not yet have a good interface) = \

My only doubt in the Builder is about the channel enhancement knob. What is it for? To me it seems not work. Turned to one side to another and not feel any dramatic change, or even subtle. OR have I done something wrong?

Thanks

By the way: the head needs tweaking so.... be patient and compreensive w/ me :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mastermindjacquard

Postby mastermindjacquard » Thu May 03, 2012 10:01 pm

thanx ken for that explanation you did answer what I was wondering well!

2qiller2

Postby 2qiller2 » Thu May 03, 2012 10:08 pm

sjc wrote:2qiller2 That's a good first try & no it doesn't suck. I played around for a few minutes and had a good crunchy tone. Keep at it, it's addicting! :D

~scott

Thanks Scott, I very appreciate your opinion. I'm making a new head right now, and I hope it will be better... :D
And btw, anyone knows how to bypass cabs in Suite?
e: OMG, Leirbagpdl, your head f***** rocks! :O

sjc

Postby sjc » Thu May 03, 2012 10:37 pm

There is no cab bypass in the suite but if you use Mimic you can check the box "external cabs" and you can load the speaker ir's of your choice using the ir path button. Hope that helps..

~scott

sjc

Postby sjc » Thu May 03, 2012 10:40 pm

Leirbagpdl, that head named for Chuck S. from the band Death? He used an 8100 didn't he? Very cool I'll check it out!

** edit **

Installed the head and read the about file, lol, answered my question :D Nice job for sure.

~scott

2qiller2

Postby 2qiller2 » Thu May 03, 2012 11:07 pm

Ahh, I thought I can use Poulin Lecab to load IRs. Thanks for reply Scott ;)

sjc

Postby sjc » Fri May 04, 2012 12:16 am

This is the head that the template I posted earlier in this thread came from. This is a bit smoother than the template sounds in my opinion. Check it out if yas want, and here's a preset to if anyones interested in dropping a preset in to thier preset folder and testing it. The preset should utilize Mimic cabs and how I have them set up. It would be cool for others to post some presets to just to see how others are achieving thier sounds.

preset: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22162209/New%20 ... 0Chunk.HCS

the head:
NewBreed 2-1.Freud.Jpg

~scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Fri May 04, 2012 3:41 am

Wow you guys are on fire!
I am amazed at the quality of the heads you guys are making for your first try.. Great work for sure...

parkway

Postby parkway » Fri May 04, 2012 5:47 am

like Dalton I want to thank

@mastermindjacquard
@Leirbagpdl
@sjc
@2qiller2

...for their effort and what I'm sure are very cool creations [gonna try 'em out tomorrow].

I also want to thank the other die-hards - Ken, Scott, Amit, Grem, Dalton, rockaxe and everyone else who has been on either the creative and/or contributor side of the Headcase ride [yeah...I know...I missed a couple of names].

I have really meant to spend some time creating some of my own amp heads but unfortunately 2012 has brought a number of unexpected health/business/family challenges I just couldn't blow off and they're taking up most of my time even 5 months into the year. Hopefully things will quiet down soon and I can set some time aside to take the "wheel of creativity" for a spin!
Last edited by parkway on Fri May 04, 2012 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't Tell Me I Have To Change My Meds...I Have Headcase!"

mastermindjacquard

Postby mastermindjacquard » Fri May 04, 2012 8:55 am

thanx guys i appreciate it

ken & dalton you guys did all the real work im just a ignorant guy that wants to be an amp modder

here is my preset for engl fireball 1.1
(recording edition) with cabs there pretty neutral so i use this preset to test the amps

http://www.mediafire-not-allowed.com/?bpp8t00fph7p9x7

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Fri May 04, 2012 10:27 am

I don't have the list of credits available yet for display, but since we're talking about credits, I should mention the main players here now..

For development, Dave Clark was a monster contributor to the code. He was also very active in the design of head case as well. I also want to thank Bootsy for help on the Blue Button. Re8, Troggludite, Andrew Jerrim, Malcolm Barbour, and Tzarls were all involved as well. So thanks guys.

Skin..
All the knobs panels, buttons, almost everything you see in Head case suite and the builder was done by Amit Talwar. The cabinet images, and stomps as well as the classic/vintage head skins were done by Manwel Sitoy. Dalton from Ampskins.com created skins for the 7:07 head as well as the new Toxin Head, due out probably monday.
(As a sideline, here is Toxin in action)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7630363/ForTT/FTCAMasterC.mp3

SJC, Rockaxe, Amit, Grem, have all contributed heads for the release (I hope I didn't forget anyone). Now maybe some of you can contribute heads too.. :)

Anyways I don't want there to be any mistake, there was others involved and good or bad, head case is a product of the passion from everyone on this list. It really would not have been possible without their help, guidence, and of course love of guitar and music.

Finally...
The biggest contributors to head case was the Pre-purchase group. You guys were completely amazing and kept us alive while we developed.. thanks so much for that...

Return to “AcmeBarGig Plugins”