Re: Head Case wide spread testing thread

Postby Ken McLaren » Wed May 16, 2012 6:25 am

No worries

dfg2
antispam: 6

Postby dfg2 » Wed May 16, 2012 11:28 am

Hi,

I found a small bug. The Head Installer interface allows you to select more than one head at a time for (bulk) installation but causes a run-time-error if you try to.

Ken McLaren
antispam: 0

Postby Ken McLaren » Wed May 16, 2012 12:45 pm

Awesome man.. Thanks, I'll deal with that.. :)
How are you making out with it?

If you find anything confusing feel free to ask..

Leirbagpdl

Postby Leirbagpdl » Wed May 16, 2012 4:12 pm

found another small bug: X label parameter in the the presence for the clean channel do not have consistent sliding , even with the shift key pressed.

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Wed May 16, 2012 4:41 pm

Leirbagpdl wrote:found another small bug: X label parameter in the the presence for the clean channel do not have consistent sliding , even with the shift key pressed.

I'll check it.. Can you elaborate a little more though, so I know what I'm looking for.. :)
Thanks

Leirbagpdl

Postby Leirbagpdl » Wed May 16, 2012 6:20 pm

Here:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Thu May 17, 2012 12:35 am

Excellent info, I know exactly what you mean now..
Thanks

bajm6277

Postby bajm6277 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:55 am

That update seems to have fixed the bug with the filter cabs but it feels like something in the sound has been lost. I know the volume jumps down a lot with the update but even when I bring the volume back up to try to match the older version it doesn't sound quite the same? Maybe I'm adjusting the wrong volume?

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Fri May 18, 2012 12:22 pm

What type of difference do you hear?

bajm6277

Postby bajm6277 » Sun May 20, 2012 1:44 pm

It's hard to compare the updated with the original because I have to keep shutting down reaper copying the files in then opening it again which takes a while but I think the update makes the sound a little duller like someone putting a blanket over the cab. I reduce the EQ blend to get my sound back because I have the EQ mids scooped. You'd really need to test them side by side to tell if there is actually a difference.

Vasyl Mishchenko

Postby Vasyl Mishchenko » Sun May 20, 2012 1:55 pm

I have to agree with bajm, I can hear the difference which I can't explain...

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Sun May 20, 2012 5:35 pm

OK.. I'll look at it.. But, here's the other question.. Is the sound better or worse overall. Different may not mean worse, and the same may not be better. I just want to make sure that we are open to the possibility that its better if it is..

bajm6277

Postby bajm6277 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:06 pm

Got a chance to compare the two & found that they seem to be very similar. The problem was I just wasn't increasing the master & output level enough on the updated version. To get the same sound I had to put the output from about 8 o'clock to max & the master from 2.5 to 8.00! This leaves you with very little head room but maybe it's better for my ears. I also notice that when i load a preset then load the same enclosure speaker cabinet in filter cabs it can sound very different? It would be nice to see values under all knobs when adjusting them to see real values & scrolling with the mouse wheel for fine tuning would be nice also. Just some suggestions.

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Mon May 21, 2012 6:26 pm

OK... thanks man... :)

So, we need to work on the output level matching between the suite and the builder.

atalwar

Postby atalwar » Mon May 21, 2012 8:47 pm

Nah, I think he's comparing between old suite lite and new suite lite. We Did Match the builder and new suite levels few days back (added multiplier of 1.6 to builder but a multiplier of 1.5 would be exact). so perhaps need reports on that comparison/difference.
Once a Head Case, Always HeadCase.

Current Gear:
Guitars: PRS Singlecut Korina (SD JB set), Ibanez S470 (SD Distortion set),Pimped up Squier CV 60's Strat/BPNCS, Epiphone Acoustic,Aria Jazz Bass,

Amps/Pedals: VHT Special 6 Ultra Stack ,BlackStar 1HR Amp, SD Twin Tube, Catlinbeard DLS MKIII, Roland Cube 30x, Zoom G1Xon MultiFx, NUX OD-2 Overdrive, NUX EQ-7, Korg Exp2 Pedal, Roland DP10 pedal,

Keys: Korg Pa600 Arranger Keyboard, Korg Kronos 2 61 Key Workstation,Samson Graphite 49 Midi controller.

Recording: Shure Beta58, SM57, Nova Condenser Mic, Presonus Eris E5 Monitors,Steinberg UR44, Yamaha MG10XU Mixer, Behringer Ultra G DI100,,Paradigm Reference Speakers.
....not nuff time.

bajm6277

Postby bajm6277 » Mon May 21, 2012 11:19 pm

Yes I was comparing between old suite lite and new suite lite.

Misticmyst73

Postby Misticmyst73 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:24 am

I installed the headcase in my presounus studio one pro DAW..For some reason when I click on the Learn adio button,I get a pop then I get no sound..Now after i boot up my DAW I get the same poping sound when I boot up a song that has it installed and then no sound..Just wondering if anyone else has this happening? Other wise when it works it sounds freaking awesome..Thanks..

Misticmyst73

Postby Misticmyst73 » Thu May 24, 2012 3:24 am

- Dalton - wrote:
Misticmyst73 wrote:I installed the headcase in my presounus studio one pro DAW..For some reason when I click on the Learn adio button,I get a pop then I get no sound..Now after i boot up my DAW I get the same poping sound when I boot up a song that has it installed and then no sound..Just wondering if anyone else has this happening? Other wise when it works it sounds freaking awesome..Thanks..

Hey man
Check that the noise gate beside the learn function is not enabled to high

Cheers
Richard Dalton

OK I checked the gate and turned it off even..I still get a popping noise and with it installed in a song no other amp will work either...Maybe it just hates studio one stuff...any other sugestions will be welcome and Thank you Richard for trying,

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Thu May 24, 2012 5:16 pm

Misticmyst73 wrote:I installed the headcase in my presounus studio one pro DAW..For some reason when I click on the Learn adio button,I get a pop then I get no sound..Now after i boot up my DAW I get the same poping sound when I boot up a song that has it installed and then no sound..Just wondering if anyone else has this happening? Other wise when it works it sounds freaking awesome..Thanks..

Ok so, in order for us to diagnose this I want to first explain the mechanism and what its doing..

Everyone records at different input levels. The problem is that Head case reacts to input level, like a real amp does. If you drive the signal into a head, it gets more disrtorted, this is exactly the same with head case. So, we came up with the learn functions. This system reads the input level and adjusts it to what Head case wants it to be. This way when I design a head on my system, it sounds the same on yours.

So, what happens is the signal output is shut off, the signal input is adjusted up and down at this time. This takes about 8 seconds for HC to hone in on what it thinks the level should be. Once it has the level setting, it writes it to a file called read.dat. Then the audio buffer is cleared and the signal output is turned back on.
Read.Dat is just a text file and can be opened with notepad.

(The reason why we changed the extension to .dat is because some windows cleaner utils remove text files. (*.txt). Changing it to .dat stopped this from happening.)

So, what setting do you have in your read.dat file located in the AcmeBarGig/HeadCase folder.
If you have nothing, like if its 0 or just a blank entry, type 0.001 in it. and save.

Before you do any of that though, try setting the level from the head case buiilder and lets see if that helps. Manually setting the read.dat file will for sure stop the click and give you sound, but setting the right input level must be done with HC.. So you may have to run reaper or something to set the level...

Misticmyst73

Postby Misticmyst73 » Fri May 25, 2012 4:16 pm

Ken McLaren wrote:

Ok so, in order for us to diagnose this I want to first explain the mechanism and what its doing..

Everyone records at different input levels. The problem is that Head case reacts to input level, like a real amp does. If you drive the signal into a head, it gets more disrtorted, this is exactly the same with head case. So, we came up with the learn functions. This system reads the input level and adjusts it to what Head case wants it to be. This way when I design a head on my system, it sounds the same on yours.

So, what happens is the signal output is shut off, the signal input is adjusted up and down at this time. This takes about 8 seconds for HC to hone in on what it thinks the level should be. Once it has the level setting, it writes it to a file called read.dat. Then the audio buffer is cleared and the signal output is turned back on.
Read.Dat is just a text file and can be opened with notepad.

(The reason why we changed the extension to .dat is because some windows cleaner utils remove text files. (*.txt). Changing it to .dat stopped this from happening.)

So, what setting do you have in your read.dat file located in the AcmeBarGig/HeadCase folder.
If you have nothing, like if its 0 or just a blank entry, type 0.001 in it. and save.

Before you do any of that though, try setting the level from the head case buiilder and lets see if that helps. Manually setting the read.dat file will for sure stop the click and give you sound, but setting the right input level must be done with HC.. So you may have to run reaper or something to set the level...

That worked that time..I had to open my DAW twice before it took but now it works fine..Thank you so much for your time and the help..The amps sound amazing.

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Fri May 25, 2012 5:11 pm

Cool.. :)

Vasyl Mishchenko

Postby Vasyl Mishchenko » Sun May 27, 2012 6:28 am

Ken, amigo, I was just thinking that it would be very useful to have an option to use different preamps that is a different set of tubes for both channels in future updates as well as in poweramps so that one can have like two amps in one which would make HC even more versatile haha :D no matter what I'm getting more and more plunged into the builder as it's a dreamcometrue for lots of guys! I've recently got my friend acquainted with headcase espeacially the builder and those instructions on its use by you and Jac so he assumed it's really intuitive and got amazed by those heads shared here on the forum...the thing is this guys has been building and modding guitar amps for 5 years and he said it's really awesome as you can come pretty close in achieving that specific amp model sound and tonality. I have to agree though I'm no amp tech/sound engineer :) Wish you all the luck man!

Vasyl Mishchenko

Postby Vasyl Mishchenko » Sun May 27, 2012 6:43 am

P.S.: The core point of it all is you CAN get THAT sound from within your head with the Builder which I'm f......g happy about! THANK YOU Master Ken!

Return to “AcmeBarGig Plugins”