Head Case wide spread testing thread

AcmeBarGig Plugins
Ken McLaren
antispam: 0

Head Case wide spread testing thread

Postby Ken McLaren » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:55 am

May 16 2012 UPDATE:
This is an update that answers the wobbly Filtercabinets error that had been reported. It also deals with Volume differences between the suite and Head Case builder.

If you already have head case lite 1.53 installed, then all you need to do is copy the two DLL files cotained in the UPDATE A Rar to the head case folder.

The path will be something like.
[Your vst folder]/AcmeBarGig/HeadCase
Your folder is the name of the folder where you installed head case.

If you have not installed Head Case LITE 1.53 Yet, then you must run this installer first, and then copy the contents of update A following the above steps.

Head Case LITE 1.53 installer.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7630363/Releases/HeadCase/LITE/HeadCase%20LITE%201.53.zip

Head Case LITE 1.53 UPDATE A
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7630363/Releases/HeadCase/LITE/HeadCase%20LITE%20153%20UpdateA.rar
If you have any troub;le, just leave a mesage

------------------------------------------------------

Well, as they say about children, sooner or later you gotta let them go. haha So here is Head case lite. This is the 30 day trial that will be released as a demonstration of head case. This is a limited version of head case in that it only contains the suite and the builder, it does not contain any of the other single VST plugs that the "Complete" version does. I'll start another thread that explains the difference in better detail later. For now I really just want to concentrate on getting head case on as many systems as possible to see what type of pitfalls/errors may come up.

I know that a lot of you don't like reading, so in future there will be videos done that will explain all known aspects of head case. Some things it does we just simply cannot explain without researching your exact settings. It has some very complex interactions and the number of options/settings makes it impossible to be able to comment with without researching it. Even then we may have it wrong. So if you ask a question like how do I get a sound like amp X? My reply will be, go out and buy amp X haha. Head case is not a modeler in the classic sense. Although some would like to call it a waveshaper, that would also be incorrect. It is not a wavershaper in the classic sense either.

READ THIS PLEASE
For you to get the most out of this, please take a few minutes and read what I have here.

Installing HC (Head Case)..
If you are expecting to simply copy a DLL to a folder and have it run, then you will be disappointed. Head Case MUST be installed. The installation program creates supporting files and folders that head case relies on. If they are not there, then it will not run properly.

-The installation program will ask you to select a folder to install to. This should be your VST plugins folder. The HC install program will ALWAYS add a folder called AcmeBarGig to the folder you select. The AcmeBarGig folder is part of the program and must be there.

-You will be asked whether to create a desktop icon for installing heads. Although you don't have to, it would be easier if you did because our documentation assumes that you have this shortcut.

-If you have any other ABG head case apps, like iFace OR Head Case complete installed, then you need to ensure that you install to a different path.So when asked, simply add a folder name to the install to path, the installer will then use that and Append \AcmeBarGig to it.

Safety
-Although we are pretty much finished with development, just to be safe, you should make a backup copy of the AcmeBarGig folder before installing if you have any other Head case apps installed.

This version does not come with any heads installed, so upon rnning it, you may be met with a blank head. Thats ok, you just need to install some heads. There is a list of heads that you can download and install at your leisure..

Installing a head
First a little background...
In head case builder, once you have designed your fantabulous, ultra cool head you can make a distribution of that head so that you can share it with others. Under file operations in the Head Case Builder you'll find a Make button. That button runs an external program that gathers all your head settings, graphics, and custom curves. It then compresses them inside a JPG graphics file. That graphics file can be placed on a forum where others can download it.

Here is an actual amp file.
This file contains all of the required elements to install the Guillotine head into your head case just by dropping it onto the Install Head Icon.

To install these files, typically you would download an image like the above and save it to your local hard drive. You can then either drag and drop the image onto the install head icon on your desktop, or you can run the install head program directly from your start menu.

Here is how to install a head in three steps. Note however, categories only apply to head case complete. Head case lite does not have this abiity.
1)
You can simply download a head image by right clicking it and selecting save as. (Save it to a known place on your HDD)

Particulars..
If you have dropped a file onto the install head icon then this step does not need to be performed. If you open the install head utility from the start menu, or by double clicking the desktop icon, step 1 has to be done. This allows you to select the file you want to install.

2) Where is the head to be installed to? (dioes not apply to head case LITE)
This is where you select what category (folder) to install the head to. It will default to the first category in the list. If you add or remove categories, they will also be represented in the category list.

3) This installs the head into the chosen category. Head case lite always installs to HeadCaseLite Category.

Selecting a head in head case..
1) This button shows ther File Operations screen. This is where heads are loaded, saved, and where distributions are made.

2) This is the file type selector. Heads that are installed will show up when you select "Installed Head". For heads that have not been made into distributions yet, they are considered as templates. So the next logical question is, why is there a difference, why not just have them all the same. This is so that you can work on a head without overwriting the original. Head Case builder only saves as templates which keeps the original downloaded head intact. You may want to refer back to it again later.

Snapshots...(SNAPSHOTS HAVE BEEN REMOVED IN VERSION 1.51 UNTIL AFTER THE OFFICIAL RELEASE. Look for them in around version 1.6)
The third selection on the list is snapshots. Snapshots are sequentially saved head templates. So as you are working, you come across a sound you like, you can save a snapshot of it which stores the head at that stage of development. When you save a snap shot of the head again, it saves the head at the new stage in development. They are stored as Snapshot 1, Snapshot 2, etc. Here is where it can get a little confusing. A folder is created for evey head you take a snapshot of. So if you were working on HonkenII, A folder called HonkenII would be created and all snapshots of HonkenII would be stored there. When you want to load a snapshot, a listing of all the snapshot folders appears under the snapshot button. When you click one of those folders, the snapshot files appear in the file list. This is essentially the same as choosing a category, which we'll talk about now.

Selecting a category..(Only applies to Head Case complete, head case lite does not have a category option)
#3 is the file list display. This is where you select a file to load. Directly above the file list roughly in the center is the category drop down selector. If you installed a head into American Style for example, then you select the American Style category, and the installed heads button. Voila, the head you installed is in the list.

All the category selector does is change the folder thats being displayed in the file list, all the buttons do is change the filetype thats being displayed. This is exactly the same mechanism as snapshots. The list that appears on the bottom of the snapshots button(when its pressed), is just a list of folders where you have taken snapshots of heads. The snapshot folders are named after the head. I could have moved that mechanism to the Category drop down, but I didn't for two reasons. First is I think it would get pretty confusing, second and most important is the number of folders that would have to be displayed in the drop down could be too many. Which brings me to #4

#4 is are page sliders. If you have too many heads or snapshot folders to be displayed on one page, then you can navigate to the next page by sliding this..

WARNING:
Be careful with external equipment levels with head case as it might cause volume spikes. This should only apply to making changes in the builder, but, this is a test, so be careful in the suite as well. Head Case always turns on its limiter when you load a head or preset to attempt a safegard against volume spikes, but the best safety measure is for you to make sure external equiipment levels are low to begin with.. Just be careful as you assume all the risks...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7630363/Releases/HeadCase/LITE/HeadCase%20LITE%201.53.zip

Here are some heads for you to install, and I'm pretty sure there will be other users sharing their creations as well.
MAHAKALI example recorded by yours truly..
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7630363/ForTT/BhangraThingMaster.mp3

Quarter Example recorded by yours truly..Only the clean guitar is using Quarter, the dirty guitar is using Skull Job.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7630363/ForTT/PouletAMastered.mp3

Guillotine example recorded by yours truly..
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7630363/ForTT/Cyclops3Master.mp3

Skull Job R1 used only on the solo for this track. This was a stem that was Mixed by Dalton. Unfortunately I don't know who the artist is right now but I will find out in order to give them credit for this great piece. I believe Dalton used his Detonator Amp on this track as well(Detonator is aso a head case head).
Anyways, I only recorded the solo using Skull Job at around 1:27
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7630363/ForTT/TestTrackSoloJam.mp3

So right click on any of these images and save them to your hard drive in a known spot. Then following the head installation instructions above.
There is 10 more heads by Rock Axe available here
http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=16130

For support, some of you might find it easier to use Face book, we have a dedicated head case group there.
There is usually someone online there that can answer your questions immediately through the face book chat utility..

UPDATE MAY 06 2012
I thought bthat you guys might want to give these a run as well. These are the stand alone executables for head case lite. Note however, they are not officially supported from us(ABG)...
Just copy these into the same folder as the head case builder and head case suite DLL files..
It will be
[Your Selected install folder]/Acmebargig/HeadCase
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7630363/Releases/HeadCase/WideSpreadTesting/HeadCaseLITEexes.rar
Enjoy..

There is one notable error that is holding up our official release. When using Filter cabs, some have reported a what they call a wobbly noise. That is low in volume and frequewncy and builds in volume. Please let me know if you get that and what your steps were to get it.

Thank you for your time and interest
-Ken
Last edited by Ken McLaren on Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:57 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Ken McLaren

Re: Head Case wide spread testing thread

Postby Ken McLaren » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:38 am

Thanks Dalton, also who made that stem that I used as a demo for Skull Job.. I need to give them credit..

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:24 am

Thanks Dalton..
This is the latest mix of that track
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7630363/ForTT/FTCAMasterC.mp3
Guitars were brought up a little more in the mix. Speaking of that, it was recorded with a head I have not quite finished building in head case called Toxin. As soon as I have it done though I'll post it. The other thing I wanted to mention was the wah type effect used was the Naus Filter set on peak..

Leirbagpdl
antispam: 6

Postby Leirbagpdl » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:09 pm

I'm really speechless. That sounds and looks amazing. I would like to congratulate you for completing this mission. The Headcase has virtually all the features guitarists dreamed of.
I'm still testing this version. My machine is a Intel i5 6gbram, 1THd windows 7 home basic. Using the Reaper DAW. I use the card on-board audio, yet.
No problem so far, only the "Head installer" does not show that category to choose the folder to be installed (the number "2" in blue) (Am I doing something wrong in installation?)
(pic attached 1)

The second issue is that is only accepted five Heads at a time. Skins replace each other as I install, leaving only 5 or 10 instead of by hand and the other 4 Dalton. (pics 2 &3)Although they are apparently all installed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leirbagpdl

Postby Leirbagpdl » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:32 pm

Thanks for the reply dalton. I was so excited and rushed in testing, that 'I have not read the previous explanations right hahahaha My bad :oops:

thank you very much

Cheers

Edit:

By the way: could you repost the packs of this tread? http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=13728 If you couldn't thats ok also

Cheers again
=)

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:24 pm

Leirbagpdl, thanks for testing man.. I see Dalton has pretty much answered your questions, thanks Dalton :)
Yes HC Lite version allows for 5 installed heads, and 5 custom heads and does not support categories...

atalwar

Postby atalwar » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:59 pm

Just Awesome,

I hope to tweak few of my old heads and release them out here in couple of days. i gotta set em up around same ballpark volume wise as ken's heads.
Once a Head Case, Always HeadCase.

Current Gear:
Guitars: PRS Singlecut Korina (SD JB set), Ibanez S470 (SD Distortion set),Pimped up Squier CV 60's Strat/BPNCS, Epiphone Acoustic,Aria Jazz Bass,

Amps/Pedals: VHT Special 6 Ultra Stack ,BlackStar 1HR Amp, SD Twin Tube, Catlinbeard DLS MKIII, Roland Cube 30x, Zoom G1Xon MultiFx, NUX OD-2 Overdrive, NUX EQ-7, Korg Exp2 Pedal, Roland DP10 pedal,

Keys: Korg Pa600 Arranger Keyboard, Korg Kronos 2 61 Key Workstation,Samson Graphite 49 Midi controller.

Recording: Shure Beta58, SM57, Nova Condenser Mic, Presonus Eris E5 Monitors,Steinberg UR44, Yamaha MG10XU Mixer, Behringer Ultra G DI100,,Paradigm Reference Speakers.
....not nuff time.

ballstix

Postby ballstix » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:04 pm

I can't seem to install any heads. When I double-click or drag a .jpg onto the "install head" icon, it looks like something is going to happen but nothing does. On Windows 7 x64.

Leirbagpdl

Postby Leirbagpdl » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:15 pm

Ken McLaren wrote:Leirbagpdl, thanks for testing man.. I see Dalton has pretty much answered your questions, thanks Dalton :)
Yes HC Lite version allows for 5 installed heads, and 5 custom heads and does not support categories...

Yeah it makes sense now!!!! I'm kind of slow/lazy :oops: kkkkk :lol:
Thanks man
congratulations and success
=)

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:49 pm

ballstix wrote:I can't seem to install any heads. When I double-click or drag a .jpg onto the "install head" icon, it looks like something is going to happen but nothing does. On Windows 7 x64.

Windows 7 will ask you for administrator confirmation. Actually Windows 7 32 does that too. Just look for that window and click ok..

Let us know if that was the issue. We should probably add that to the instructions above as well.

The other issue that we have around installing heads is one of language. The 32 bit install file does not handle extended characters sets properly yet. The good news is Vicsnest has found a work around to that, I'll message him on facebook and see if he can come around and explain that work around..

For the sake of it as well, try just running the install head program and using select head button on the left to select the JPG.

Vasyl Mishchenko

Postby Vasyl Mishchenko » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:03 pm

Oh, my! Man, I'm short of words! That's like having wild and primitive and at the same time sophisticated and delicate sex after a year of restriction :D Ken, please enlist those Shred and Marvel heads here, would you?
I'm totally rocking out :)

sjc

Postby sjc » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:22 pm

Here's a head that I made as a template. Right click, save as, and drag the image file to the install head icon. Use it, improve it, reskin it... have at it and post the results :)

SJC Template 1-2.Freud.Jpg

Here is a short clip of the head in action.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22162209/SJC%20 ... mo%201.mp3

Enjoy HeadCase guys, it's a treat!

~scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vasyl Mishchenko

Postby Vasyl Mishchenko » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:37 pm

Thanks, Scott! Your heads are a treat, too, just like any of those by Glenn, Amit or Richard. Now it's time to dive into Head Case! :)

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:43 pm

Yeah I need to get to building them, I have a bunch more here too, but they were all made for version 1.50 and they are not compatible with version 1.53. I need to get to them some time later. I also have the upgrades for Supersound 1972, We have a gold Supersound 1976, and a chrome supersound 1977..

You should make some heads tetra...Just play around in the builder changing settings. You'll be surprised at how simple that is. As a matter of fact, most of our time was spent in the builder on the interface making it easy to work with. It is designed for you to make a head based on what you hear and every control is a slider. Speaking of that I should post some info on how to use the controls in the builder..

Ken McLaren

Postby Ken McLaren » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:45 pm

Awesome Scott.. :)

sjc

Postby sjc » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:46 pm

Thanks Tetra., and yes those guys are awesome when it comes to making heads! Head Master Ken has turned us into his minions lol.

~scott

sjc

Postby sjc » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:47 pm

Thanks Ken. :D

ballstix

Postby ballstix » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:56 pm

Ken McLaren wrote:
ballstix wrote:I can't seem to install any heads. When I double-click or drag a .jpg onto the "install head" icon, it looks like something is going to happen but nothing does. On Windows 7 x64.

Windows 7 will ask you for administrator confirmation. Actually Windows 7 32 does that too. Just look for that window and click ok..

Let us know if that was the issue. We should probably add that to the instructions above as well.

The other issue that we have around installing heads is one of language. The 32 bit install file does not handle extended characters sets properly yet. The good news is Vicsnest has found a work around to that, I'll message him on facebook and see if he can come around and explain that work around..

For the sake of it as well, try just running the install head program and using select head button on the left to select the JPG.

No luck. Tried to cover every contingency (run as administrator, compatibility mode, different methods of running it) but it always just gives me the blue ring next to my mouse followed by nothing. Restarted after installing, too. Gonna try it on my laptop a little later.

sjc

Postby sjc » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:11 pm

Ballstix, have you tried turning off user account control? Should be located here in Win 7:
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts

When it's set to default it stops the install of a head and, on my pc anyway, there's a tray icon that shows up. That icon is requesting permission. Is this what you're getting?

~scott

ballstix

Postby ballstix » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:30 pm

sjc wrote:Ballstix, have you tried turning off user account control? Should be located here in Win 7:

When it's set to default it stops the install of a head and, on my pc anyway, there's a tray icon that shows up. That icon is requesting permission. Is this what you're getting?

~scott

UAC's off, no notification or anything. The head installer works without a hitch on my laptop, though. Are there any dependencies or something that might cause the installer not to run at all?

atalwar

Postby atalwar » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:43 pm

Few More Heads for the Masses: (these heads were compiled using the lite version builder)

My Heads Thread : viewtopic.php?f=92&t=16163

Current Gear:
Guitars: PRS Singlecut Korina (SD JB set), Ibanez S470 (SD Distortion set),Pimped up Squier CV 60's Strat/BPNCS, Epiphone Acoustic,Aria Jazz Bass,

Amps/Pedals: VHT Special 6 Ultra Stack ,BlackStar 1HR Amp, SD Twin Tube, Catlinbeard DLS MKIII, Roland Cube 30x, Zoom G1Xon MultiFx, NUX OD-2 Overdrive, NUX EQ-7, Korg Exp2 Pedal, Roland DP10 pedal,

Keys: Korg Pa600 Arranger Keyboard, Korg Kronos 2 61 Key Workstation,Samson Graphite 49 Midi controller.

Recording: Shure Beta58, SM57, Nova Condenser Mic, Presonus Eris E5 Monitors,Steinberg UR44, Yamaha MG10XU Mixer, Behringer Ultra G DI100,,Paradigm Reference Speakers.
....not nuff time.

atalwar

Postby atalwar » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:53 pm

ballstix wrote:
sjc wrote:Ballstix, have you tried turning off user account control? Should be located here in Win 7:

~scott

UAC's off, no notification or anything. The head installer works without a hitch on my laptop, though. Are there any dependencies or something that might cause the installer not to run at all?

My system is win7 x64 Sp1, and i don't have the issues.
See if the installhead is running in taskmanager and kill it.

Run it and wait for a minute or so to let it do it's thing, i have noted on few occasions that my antivirus takes it's sweet time with newly installed applications for the first time they are run.
also try disabling the DEP (data execution prevention) for installHead executable and any other executable in the folder. or set it for essential windows programs only. and see if that works.

Current Gear:

....not nuff time.

sjc

Postby sjc » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:02 pm

I'm on the same and don't have the issue but was trying to recreate it... Amit knows a lot more about this stuff than I do, so I'd listen to what he has to say :D I sure am curious about this.

sjc

Postby sjc » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:44 pm

Amit just saw the heads you posted, thanks man!

atalwar

Postby atalwar » Tue May 01, 2012 12:17 am

welcome scott,
just downloaded your head, will check it out in morning.

Current Gear:

....not nuff time.

Return to “AcmeBarGig Plugins”