EvolutionCabs, 4 free new programs for nebula

Nebula - Speaker Cabinet Simulation programs
FF666
antispam: 0

EvolutionCabs, 4 free new programs for nebula

Postby FF666 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:35 pm

I have called this little proyect EvolutionCabs. Just 4 different amps and only one mic position at the sweet spot of the cab. It took me a lot of time getting good results and I'm not the best at miking amps, so to avoid phase problems or bad sounding programs I decided to use only what I thought at that moment was the best mic position.
Read the welcome and quick guide to understand the programs, and for your protection, USE A LIMITER in the master. Inputs in nebula above -8db could cause huge abnormal noises.
If you like these programs, recommend to your friends.
At the moment I have no more free time to make new programs. Maybe in distant future...

http://evolutioncabs.wordpress.com/
Toc Toc, There's someone there??

jorismak
antispam: 6

Re: EvolutionCabs, 4 free new programs for nebula

Postby jorismak » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:17 pm

Ohhh, you got a Diezel 4x12. Want to check them out badly, but it has got to wait till tomorrow I'm afraid.

FF666

Postby FF666 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:13 pm

Ok tell me if they work when you test 'em.
One guy with Osx says nebula crashes at start.
I've only tested 'em in windows xp.

jorismak

Postby jorismak » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:43 am

Had a quick noodle on them, so far not a single crash or something.
Windows 8.1 x64, Reaper x64, Nebula 3 1.3.679 x64

First, initial impressions are very good. All very usable right out of the box.
I do seem to have the impression that the bass-y frequencies are having trouble coming out, a bit distorted maybe even.
What poweramp did you use and was it set very clean? I have the feeling you cranked it :).

Everything else comes through very clear though. Like I said, impressive tones IMHO specially for a single mic.

Other questions though: Why did you put the 'DRIVE' control back on a few of them? That slider controls _artificial_ harmonies, not input or output drive or something. So what you're doing with turning it back is reducing the harmonic-distortion that is captured (and Nebula's trademark) and in an unnatural way. I seem to like it more with it set death center at 0 to just get whatever you captured.

I put the input-pad (somewhere in the edit section of the program) a bit lower (like -3 db) to capture the lower dynamics you included, and increase the output-pad a bit to compensate.

PS: Just played with the neck pickup some more, and there bass seems to be OK. Maybe I just gotta get used to your mic positions.. let me play some more. But it works and sounds good right out of the box!

FF666

Postby FF666 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:04 pm

Ok I'm glad you like 'em.
The poweramp was from a 5150, and it was at very loud volume, that could be the reason of the distorted low frequencies.
About the drive knob I have noticed that when you raise it, the low frequencies and distortion raise too. That's why I turned it a bit back to my personal taste. But use it the way you like. Just use a highpass filter about 60-100hz and problem solved.

jorismak

Postby jorismak » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:20 pm

you can see the 'drive' control as an artifical 'saturation' control. It captures what harmonics gets added, and then overdoes (or underdoes) that. That's why raising it will add nasty distortion most of the times, it tries to create harmonic-distortion that isn't there in the original capture.

Btw, what version of NAT and Nebula did you use? Modern captures have controls like 'g-drive' (linked input-gain / output-gain control) and have the attack/release stuff hidden (since it doesn't do what most people expect and generally should never be touched :)).

I have a cheap 2x12 v30 (ch) cab, and a clone sm57 and a real sm57 (and a clone e609). And I really have problems with getting something into the (real) sm57 that doesn't seem to start distorting on the bass Only thing that really seems to work is lowering volume. And since the cab is sitting in my (lively) living room, raising the volume too much causes a lot of reflections to happen, boosting nasty freq's and cancelling out nice ones :). So the best results I got with creating ir's / nebula-cabs for myself is by doing it at lower volume. I think (but no proof) that since you can't capture poweramp-distortion and compression anyway in an IR, it's more useful to have your poweramp set as clean and open as possible when capturing the stuff. You're using a real poweramp(sim) later with the IR/nebula-cab anyway.

FF666

Postby FF666 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:20 pm

Ok, after years using nebula I have never worried about the drive knob, mainly because I use nebula for equalizers and the times I have moved the knob I felt that nothing happened :lol:

The last time I updated nebula was about 4 months ago. I have updated today to test my programs with the latest version. I'll investigate about that g-drive control for future samplings. At the moment all seems the same, can't find it.

About my programs, I sampled the cabs in a rehearsal room shared for a few local bands. It's very well treated to not disturb the neighborhood, so I removed the drum kit from the room and turned up the volume with no fear. :cheers:

folcochofo

Postby folcochofo » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:43 am

Cool, I will surely try this ones! Thanks a lot for the effort. :cheers:

jorismak

Postby jorismak » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:47 pm

G-drive control is like a 'linked input/output' control.
Turning it up 6db has the effect of cranking the input-gain on nebula by 6gb, but the output by -6db.
In other words, you can drive the captured profile harder without actually changing the volume.

Drive it to hard and things will f*ck up, drive it too low and you get no extra dynamics and might as well used a simple IR :).
Basically, it's a tool to make gain-staging easier.

You have to patch the g-drive control into a Nebula program, it isn't there by default if you create something with NAT3.

First, make a backup of your programs (.n2p / .n2v file) of course :).
Then, open up NAT3. You don't have to load a session into it.

In the left pane, go to 'List' (in the Editor section), click Add and add your .n2p file. Then hit the 'Patch' button, select the attached .xml file and apply the 'patch'. You will now have a g-drive control in the program if it worked.

If you loaded the program, take a look at the 'DNM SEL' value that's jumping all over the place. That's the current dynamic-layer Nebula is using. When profiling the cab, it shot a bunch of sine-sweeps at the cab _at different volumes_. Depending on the strength of your input signal, he's using the response of that specific level at that time. The 'LIQDT' slider at the end controls how smooth the changes between the selected dynamic-layer are.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

folcochofo

Postby folcochofo » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:24 am

Hey man, i downloaded the programs, put them into the repository folder (n2v in vectors and n2p in progams) yet i cant see them in the nebula init. Am i Doing something wrong? It worked with the Kalthallen this way. Thanks

jorismak

Postby jorismak » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:44 am

reloaded your DAW so that nebula "get's restarted" OK?
You by any chance have made tweaks to Nebula XML files to make starting up faster? These tweaks stop the scanning for new libraries.

Also, what's your version. If you are still on 1.3.505 (shame on you, you know why) a lot of libraries will probably not work these days since they require newer versions.

folcochofo

Postby folcochofo » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:27 pm

Actually i do have the 1.3.505 version cause its the only way to test some cabs before buying it and to be honest I'm everyday more convinced that Nebula doesnt deserve to be bought, at least to use some cabs cause there are few of them and the existing ones doesnt seem to be that better of a common imp. I didnt tried the ownhammer and everybody says that are the best but for what i've seen and heard nothing out of this world. So i wanted to try yours to see if Nebula was really worth the time and money. Another thing is that anything you put in Nebula is complicated to set right and there is little support on it. No offense to anybody but i'm not diggin'it.
Thanks again for your effort. People like you are the ones that really help users and programs to grow.

jorismak

Postby jorismak » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:50 pm

In all fairness, if you can't really hear the difference between impulses and nebula cabs than nebula is of course not for you.

And don't feel bad if you can't really notice it, you're talking about extremely subtle stuff. You're not creating bad stuff by not having it. But if you're nitpicking about some small things in some plugin VSTs or impulses, than Nebula might bring it one step closer to 'the real thing'.

But for instance, you're talking about people who (claim to) hear the difference between a part recorded with an original 70's Neve 1073 pre or with a Golden Age Projects copy. Both of those are awesome... but there are differences, and people who worked with the original will notice the differences and be put off, because they expected a real Neve pre. If you're THAT picky, Nebula might be worth checking out. But it has a lot of stuff going against it, so you must really want it :).

In the world of guitar-cabs, it can preserve some of the analog magic of the mic-pre used to sampling, which an IR for sure won't. It captures harmonic build-up (resonance) a bit better and has slightly better frequency response... oh, and (depending on how the person sampled the cab) it has the capability to preserve dynamic differences. So the 'cab-emulation' can respond slightly different when feeding it a low volume signal than when feeding it a high volume signal, things IRs can't. This are things that matter to the session player who can feel them, but I don't think people will hear it in the end-result (specially with heavy poprock or heavier stuff with a lot going on).

I'm a computer geek first, so difficult to use plugins / programs are less of an issue for me. And when I started going into this stuff, you can buy expensive plugins (after you're done with the DAW-included stuff) of which opinions can be very divided... Or I buy Nebula for 80 euro's and then can be libraries for 40 euro's instead of a new EQ plugin for 150,-... and I'm pretty much assured it will be a perfect sounding library. Seemed safer to spend the money there.

1.3.505 is only available now as the pirated version. I think - but I don't know for sure - that Nebula3 Free has been updated recently to the 1.3.6xx branch.. but I think you can still only use it with programs that are made with the Free-edition of the sampler-software... So you still can't test out Ownhammer's stuff for example (well, he has regular IRs too :P) because all the commercial libraries require the commercial version of the plugin.

I'm not a Nebula fan boy trying to get people to use it, or be angry at those who don't :). I'm the first to admit that it has (a lot of) flaws, and the company is in all regards still an unorganized startup.. but (slowly) getting there. I just feel a bit better and more sure when slapping it on mixes than with other stuff, which makes me happy in my work :).

folcochofo

Postby folcochofo » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:50 am

You're totally right, I'm not saying its no good at all, I'm just saying its not for me.
And what pisses me off is that you can try the free nebula version but no one makes not even one cab for the free one (only the ones at ultmatemetal) so its time to move on...
Thanks pal and hope that this nebula stuff gets easier on us all! :cheers:

Slicklickz

Postby Slicklickz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:47 am

folcochofo wrote:You're totally right, I'm not saying its no good at all, I'm just saying its not for me.
And what pisses me off is that you can try the free nebula version but no one makes not even one cab for the free one (only the ones at ultmatemetal) so its time to move on...
Thanks pal and hope that this nebula stuff gets easier on us all! :cheers:
AE's LA610 421 4 Nebula free cab is pretty good,it pairs up well with the BBE D82 Sonic Maximizer plugin if you want to track any pinch harmonics.They're the base of my "Zakk Wylde on acid" channel strip.

FF666

Postby FF666 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:57 am

You need to update to the latest nebula version. I sampled the cabs with one of the latests versions, and if you run it with an older version won't work, or at least that's what say nebula guys.

2 New roomy programs are coming...

Edit: ...and the erectus roomy has arrived.

folcochofo

Postby folcochofo » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:54 am

I tried those of AE before, the ones for the free version but i can recall where i left them :scratch: Gotta try it again cause i have more experience now to deal with them. But lets stay with FF666 cabs in this post. Cheers to all.

FF666

Postby FF666 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:08 pm

New and more accurate programs, and I have made impulses too this time. Hope you like 'em
http://evolutioncabs.wordpress.com/2014 ... w-irs-too/

Return to “Nebula - Speaker Cabinet Simulation”