Ownhammer nebula programs - Madness!

Nebula - Speaker Cabinet Simulation programs
greyanaroth
antispam: 0

Ownhammer nebula programs - Madness!

Postby greyanaroth » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:33 am

Did a quick sample with a prerecorded track - the track is something a friend of mine and i whipped up - sorry for the crappy played sections, they're all mine!

Guitar chain -> Schecter Blackjack C-7 tuned to drop Ab with stock JBs(need to swap these out for bareknuckles!) -> BSS AR133 DI -> Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 Mic In -> Mokafix Cream Tube -> Peavey Revalver (modded 6505 sim on the left, and modded JSX on the right) -> Ownhammer Mesa 2 nebula (forgot which one!) blended with AE's Beta 91 mesa nebula on the left, and Ownhammer Mesa 1 nebula SM7b-4 on the right -> heavy EQ, master bus compression etc!

link: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14629771/Hydro ... pulses.mp3

Drums are superior metal foundry with avatar 13" picolo snare. Bass is "fake bass" - one guitar track pitch shifted and delayed slightly with heavy processing! Lemme know if the mastering is excessive. Also, mix brickbats would be nice :-)

Basically I wanted to see how these sounded in a mix, a friend of mine had sent me samples for the impulses and I was quite impressed by those and what was on the site.

I was not prepared for the nebula madness though! That cabinet resonance and ring that has never been there in impulses just made the tracks sound alive. I didn't even care how the mic positions sounded EQ wise for a moment, I was so blown away by how real it sounded!

HOWEVER - my 0.2cents -> Some of the impulses, at least the .wav stuff, is out of time. It needs time correction, typically about 0.1-0.15 ms but it does have comb filtering(??? - that glassy sound when 2 mics are slightly out of sync with each other) artifacts. Even recabinet had this problem, despite the claims. Redwirez however is spot on - ALL the impulses are time and phase corrected and can be combined in any permutation combination. These ownhammer ones are in phase, but not in time! An update with time corrected libraries would sound great!

I still went ahead and bought all 3 412 libraries. Most of the impulses sound awesome, and I love the quality over quantity approach, and the mixnmatch impulses are good enough for me to get a full tone! Drop in a time & phase corrected beta 91 or D6 impulse in there and we're ready to roll!

Nebula 2 + ownhammer has officially cured me of my axe fx gas :-) At least for metal rhythm tones!
Last edited by greyanaroth on Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
* Schecter C-7 Blackjack with BKP Cold Sweat Bridge & stock SD Neck * Fractal Audio Axe FX Ultra * Tech 21 Sansamp PSA-1 * Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 * BSS AR133 Active DI Box * Radial X-Amp Reamping Box * Peavey Revalver mkIII.V (FOR SALE! Pls PM if interested! Going cheap!) * LePou, Ignite Amps, TSE & Nick Crow Amp Sims * Cabinet Impulses and Nebula Programs * Dual Xeon 8 Core Workstation * Macbook Pro * Cubase 5 & Logic 9 *

Coming soon: Cubase 6, Windows 7 64 bit!

KykuPL
antispam: 6

Re: Ownhammer nebula programs - Madness!

Postby KykuPL » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:59 pm

link doesn't work, check it :) I would like to listen

greyanaroth

Postby greyanaroth » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:25 am

Fixed link! Check it now!
* Schecter C-7 Blackjack with BKP Cold Sweat Bridge & stock SD Neck * Fractal Audio Axe FX Ultra * Tech 21 Sansamp PSA-1 * Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 * BSS AR133 Active DI Box * Radial X-Amp Reamping Box * Peavey Revalver mkIII.V (FOR SALE! Pls PM if interested! Going cheap!) * LePou, Ignite Amps, TSE & Nick Crow Amp Sims * Cabinet Impulses and Nebula Programs * Dual Xeon 8 Core Workstation * Macbook Pro * Cubase 5 & Logic 9 *

texisthebest

Postby texisthebest » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:31 pm

This sounds fucking good man! :twisted:
_DarkSkar_ is my new personal proyect

KykuPL

Postby KykuPL » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:25 pm

fcukin hell, sounds really good! are this ownhammer impulses that good? :)

FF666

Postby FF666 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:19 am

KykuPL wrote:fcukin hell, sounds really good! are this ownhammer impulses that good? :)

I would say no, they aren't.
The guitars in that clip, and, in general, using nebula as cab simulator, sound like if the mic was placed in the back of the cab
Toc Toc, There's someone there??

greyanaroth

Postby greyanaroth » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:51 pm

FF666 wrote:
KykuPL wrote:fcukin hell, sounds really good! are this ownhammer impulses that good? :)

I would say no, they aren't.
The guitars in that clip, and, in general, using nebula as cab simulator, sound like if the mic was placed in the back of the cab

Yeah that tone is strictly ok. I was more kicked about the cab resonance more than anything else. And it sounded different from what I usually do.

Check this out though - viewtopic.php?f=96&t=12311&start=175#p63198

I quite liked that one despite the shady overhead mix!! :D

Ascendant

Postby Ascendant » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:28 pm

I'm really impressed by the one from the NRR1 thread, the cab resonance is incredible for an impulse, but yeah the one in OP's post sounds very dark, kinda like it was mic'd from behind. I would love to see the chain used in the NRR1 + nebula example.

wakeguitar

Postby wakeguitar » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:59 pm

These cabs are the BEST!

IMO the latest versions are far higher quality and mixed and balanced better.

Soulintruder

Postby Soulintruder » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:30 pm

Sound tasty... :tongue: People hear must not accept these to sound as real IR impulses cause they are not.Although I agree you need to make different approach in mixing...

wakeguitar

Postby wakeguitar » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:11 pm

I had not noticed the significant updates to the OWN programs.
new nebula bundle, here:
http://www.ownhammer.com/store/index.ph ... ucts_id=90

Standard Series
412-GTR Bog 12M-RI
$25.00

Sample library using the Celestion Heritage G12M-20 speaker in the Bogner 4x12 guitar cabinet. The "RI" stands for reissue as this is a 21st century production speaker.

Platform & Format Inclusions:

Acustica Audio Nebula

Version Required: Nebula 2 & 3 (commercial version ONLY) v1.3.504 and above
File Format: Program & Vector file pairs (.n2p, .n2v)
Sample Rate: 96 kHz (Nebula can re-sample internally to other rates)
8 Kernel harmonic depth
Time and phase coherent with all other OwnHammer Nebula cab programs

Fractal Audio SysEx

File Format: Fractal Audio Axe Fx & Axe Fx II SysEx (.syx)
Axe-Fx II files display name altered to fit 32 character length and retain all pertinent information
Minimum Phase Transformed - coherently mixable with stock cabs

Kemper Profiling Amp

KPA format (.kipr) files as converted by the Kemper CabMaker application

Wave Audio

File Format: Wave Audio (.wav)
Bit Depth: 24
Channels: Mono and Stereo
Sample Rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96 kHz
Minimum Phase Transformed
Compatible with convolution reverb hosts and compatible devices (such as the Digitech GSP1101 beta firmware)

Library Features:

Primary Mic Captures

Primary mic captures (makes/models listed below) take a different approach in presentation to the standard formula. With these captures, positions are listed in a sequential numbering scheme from 1 to 9, where 1 is the brightest and 9 is the darkest with a relatively uniform transition in between. The numbers do not correlate to any measure of distance, directly or indirectly. Mic options include:

AEA R92
Audio Technica AE2500
Audix i5
Cascade Fat Head II
DPA 2011C
Earthworks TC30
Heil PR-30
Mojave MA-200
Royer R121
Sennheiser e906
Sennheiser MD421 Mk II
Shure SM57
Shure Bros. Unidyne 3 SM57
Shure SM7B

Each mic option and position is offered in 4 different voicing options. These iterations consist of variation in mic placement, mic axis angle, mic preamp, and hardware EQ treatment to suit different tone and timbre preferences for a multitude of guitar styles and requirements. Voicings are:

Balanced
Classic
Modern
Vintage

Auxiliary Mic Captures

(A) Ambient
(A) Back of Cab
(A) Far Field
(A) Floor
(A) Null to Cab
(A) Room
(B) Ambient
(B) Back of Cab
(B) Far Field
(B) Floor
(B) Null to Cab
(B) Room

Live n Loud Captures

Digital modeling sometimes can be a little too pure sounding, especially in the high frequencies, which at high decibel levels through bright playback/monitoring systems can translate to uncomfortable treble frequencies. The Live n Loud subset combats this phenomenon by offering much smoother, more rolled off sounding captures to better suit these adverse conditions. 4 different capture types each in 4 different voicings offers enough options to not get lost in the clutter for the live guitarist with a digital backline.

Studio Pro Captures

The Studio Pro captures are a mind meld collaborative effort between Kevin Rowe (OwnHammer) and world renown engineer, producer, and song writer Kato Khandwala. These cabinet capture configurations can be heard on numerous gold and platinum selling albums, and are combined with the position and voicing alterations of the OwnHammer methodology for added flavor and diversity. 5 positions in the OwnHammer brighter to darker scheme with the same 4 voicings as the Primary Captures are provided in the following manners:

Clean A
Clean B
Dirty A
Dirty B

If you've done the math, that all adds up to 612 unique captures, and with all of the various file format options totals at 6,936 cab IR files!

Additional Resources:

412-GTR Bog 12M-RI Demo
Audio Samples (Coming Soon)
PDF Manual (Coming Soon)
Speaker Cabinets F.A.Q.

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

This library is currently in an unfinished, pre-release state. What this means is this library is currently being developed, and is available as such. When new portions of the library are created, they will be added to the associated zip file to be re-downloaded.

Date Last Updated: March 1, 2013 (SEE CHANGE LOG)

Portions Currently Included:
• 2011c
• AE2500
• Auxiliary (all formats except Nebula)
• e906
• FatHead
• i5
• Live-n-Loud (all formats except Nebula)
• MA200
• MD421
• PR30
• R92
• R121
• SM57
• SM57-U3
• SM7B
• Studio-Pro
• TC30

RIchard Dalton

Postby RIchard Dalton » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:49 am

Nebs a cool Software we use it for tube preamp options in the studio 8)

Cheers
Richard Dalton
http://www.virtualampstash.com
© rooArt 360

Return to “Nebula - Speaker Cabinet Simulation”