Expression Pedals and foot controllers

General Discussion about Guitar Amp modelers
AtomicDog
antispam: 6

Expression Pedals and foot controllers

Postby AtomicDog » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:52 pm

Hi everyone, just wondering, I have just installed Guitar Rig 5 for the first time and what do you use to control presets and wah? Seems like controllers and stomp type controllers for amp simulation software are seldom discussed? Is there any reason so?

Tinine
antispam: 6

Re: Expression Pedals and foot controllers

Postby Tinine » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:50 am

Hi,

I have been using GR for many years, using the Rig Kontrol 2.

They come up on Ebay from time to time (discontinued product)
There is also a "3" version with an extra two footswitches.
I read a review where the reviewer was not thrilled about the 17ms round-trip latency but as a player of 42 years and a user of modellers for the past 16 years, this has never been a problem for me.
In fact, I have quite a complex rig where I feed the Rig Kontrol outputs to the line-ins of my GNX4 (I have 7 GNX4s) and use the extremely flexible mixer feature of the GNX4 to allow me to use both the GR and GNX4.

Another nice little discovery was the used Panasonic Toughbook CF-18 off eBay. These cost thousands when new but can be had for <$200 with a fresh install of Windows. I got my first one to drag around factory floors, programming industrial controls but found, to my surprise, that the relatively puny 1.2 GHz Centrino runs GR5 very reliably (albeit NOT in HD mode).
I have since procured a backup Toughbook.
These are built to military spec and have quick-change hard drives that even have built-in heaters for use in extremely low temperatures.
Mine have fully functional touchscreens which can swivel and lie flat over the keyboard.

I love my rig and have no desire to upgrade to the newer "better sounding" products out there.

Return to “General Discussion”