Please help!

General Discussion about Guitar Amp modelers
jobe13
antispam: 6

Please help!

Postby jobe13 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:41 pm

One problem I've been having is regardless of the amp, the settings, the guitar, or even the amp sim itself (I used to use Amplitude 3, but now use BIAS FX), my tone always sounds the same. It has such a muddy, tube-like sound as opposed to a crisp, solid state sound that I'm going for. I don't want razor sharp, a'la Pantera, but a well-defined crispness. But as I said, the tone is always very "tube-ish". I'm not sure if my set up isn't routed correctly, although I've watched many videos on installation and have followed them to the letter. Any advice is appreciated.

MMJ

Re: Please help!

Postby MMJ » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:02 pm

what does your guitar plugged into your daw with nothing else added sound like? is it same problem?
if so, what pickups you have in it stock ones?
if not what settings you normally use? where is your peaks hit on the db meter of just the guitar in daw no plugins?
what technique are you using with the pick? (the way hold it and strike the string?)

ariajazz

Postby ariajazz » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:36 am

As MMJ says, there are many many factors in getting the right tone ot of amp sims... What do you mean by "too tubish tone"?

jobe13

Postby jobe13 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:44 am

I've watched many videos in which guitarists will use an amp sim and get a great tone. An example of what sound I would like to have is Adam Dutkiewicz from Killswitch Engage, in particular the As Daylight Dies - era. But no matter which plugin I use (I have Guitar Rig, Amplitube 3, but am currently using BIAS FX), my sound isn't as crisp as what I would like. It's muddier. And what I mean by "tuby" sound is along with the muddy-like tone, it's like my gain isn't fully engaged. It's almost bluesy, not metal, which is what I'm going for here. I've been hearing a lot about impulses, but I'm completely lost on that subject. Aren't those included with my amp sims? How would I even use them?

jorismak

Postby jorismak » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:34 am

I don't think impulses will fix your problem. They can help in nailing a tone, but it sounds like you have a general problem :).

Your problem maybe not enough treble / highs, or if you're not getting enough gain / saturation you might have an input signal that's too low.

It can also be the general high-gain-sound issue of too much bass going into the amp sim (this is why most people run a tube-screamer in front of the amp sim -> it boosts the signal and removes some of the bass going in, which means cleaner tighter distortion coming out of the amp. Adam D uses a Maxon OD808 (and has used it since forever) in front of his amps... and he said the amp itself doesn't really matter. 'any good high gain tube amp will do' :).

That being said, some amps need some treble and / or presence to get roaring (treble control acts as a volume control for the EQ stage in most amps so it actually is a bit like a gain control as well as treble). But then the sound can get very fizzy real fast, so people don't dare to turn it higher.

Setting the treble a bit higher but taming the highs / fizz with mic / cab / impulse or EQ can get you a better (or at least different) result than making the amp to odark. Up to your taste of course.

jobe13

Postby jobe13 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:36 am

Thank you. I'll definitely give it a shot.

jorismak

Postby jorismak » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:46 am

oh, and I forget the most important thing of all:

If you have doubts about your DI signal and / or what you're getting out of it: post files / audio files / samples, so we can check.

MMJ

Postby MMJ » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:04 am

you want decent hi-z and then your hardest strums get almost to say -1db on master fader when in daw but no fx loaded on guitar signal (dry tone)

in my experience only found high end interfaces actually give behavior and tone that would be going into an amp. what you get on cheap interfaces is the interaction of your signal is weak and off balance not at all like the signal going into a real amp .

Practice with dry clean tone everyday to sound good with actual gain that is the secret to playing technique. after all your pick interaction with the string is what gives the specific tone you are asking about when all other problems are eliminated.

voog46385

Postby voog46385 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:49 am

Thanks to my knowledge, it's the most wonderful.gclub

Return to “General Discussion”