Can someone recommend a good bass guitar VST?

Digital audio workstation is a dedicated subforum for newbies to receive helpful support. ( Cubase , Sonar, Logic Pro, Pro Tools, Samplitude, Digital Performer, Garageband ... )
wulliethehat
antispam: 6

Re: Can someone recommend a good bass guitar VST?

Postby wulliethehat » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:46 pm

I use Amplitube Fender...gives me some nice tones which you can modify as well to your personal sound requirements.....Hope this helps a bit........Wulls

Duh !...ignore this ....use it for a real bass guitar.......not midi......sorry m8.......
RAW TALENT IS THE BEST TALENT....RAW MUSIC IS THE GREATEST GIFT

http://www.myspace.com/wulliethehat

Peppered

Postby Peppered » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:08 pm

I have had good results with Wagner Mk2 Sharp. I think you can find it free still. You just need to put a noise gate in front of it (GGate is free), and cab simulation (IR) at the end. I recommend Voxengo Boogex vst.

Check KVR and do a search, it'll pop up.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=223322&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
simpleVSTs.blogspot.com
"... like black hockey players, I am different." - sage francis

MetalGod

Postby MetalGod » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:27 pm

No, that's an amp sim, not a vsti.

Try DSK Bassz. It's free, small, and sounds ok. Not as good as some bigger vstis, but it's the best free one I think.
Play with the sustain and release controls a little.
I use it with a bass amp sim and IRs after. I like using it with Amplitube Fender's Bassman 300, Studio Devil VBA or Ronald Passion Bass Preamp (free).
NOTE: Some of the bass models in DSK Bassz need to be transposed an octave higher to get them to play the notes, and some don't. So, if you hear the notes, you're fine. If not, put a MIDI transpose plugin before the VSTi. Every DAW has one.

So, the chain...
- transpose (+ 11 semitones) (if needed)
- DSK Bassz
- amp sim
- IR cabinet
- compressor (if you want to)

DSK Bassz: http://rekkerd.org/?dl=668 (free)
Ronald Passion Bass Preamp: http://rekkerd.org/?dl=742 (free)
IRs: get them from the forum here (I recommend the Fender Bassman IR)
* Load them with LeCab (free) or KeFIR (free) or something.
Bootsy Density MKII: http://go2.wordpress.com/?id=725X1342&s ... _2.0.2.rar (free)

Jackill88

Postby Jackill88 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:39 am

Look in google with "Revitar 2.0". As for me, it is great light-weight guitar/bass guitar vsti sim (I'd download it, size approx. 2 MB). :arrow:

eriklima

Postby eriklima » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:34 pm

Broomstick Bass worked well for me. Could be a little hard to configure it properley, but when works fine, I can even import MIDI files I create on TuxGuitar and use it on Broomstick Bass using Reaper as daw.

haidar

Postby haidar » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:03 pm

Cakewalk studio instrument 1.0 :)

cs87

Postby cs87 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:19 pm

You should give a bass amp effect to a program like BooBass in FL Studio. There are some tones in Guitar Rig, Amplitude etc. It gives good and realistic sounds.
Please support me by downloading my song, it is free

http://adf.ly/1YK7kj

http://bc.vc/d0nOOF

mastermindjacquard

Postby mastermindjacquard » Tue May 20, 2014 7:15 pm

ignite amps vst for free

and bass grinder audio assault for cheap price

jorismak

Postby jorismak » Tue May 20, 2014 11:02 pm

if it is going from midi to bass tone (or bass di track) I've used Trillian at work (new name of Trilogy).
But yeah, you just can't (most of the time) put a guitar-pro midi track into a bass-midi-VSTi. You require extra notes / settings to specify the articulations, otherwise it will sound like a machine.

But, to be honest, configuring Trillian correctly can get you a long way (automatic up/down pick strumming for example helps a lot).

At home - without a bass guitar - I use the 'record your regular guitar DI then pitch-shift it an octave down' method. Reaper's built in pitch-shifting is just awesome, and you have load of options to preserve certain formants which you can use to make sure certain parts of your tone come true. Problem is that a regular-guitar-downtuned-afterwards is still not the same as a real bass guitar, and while tracking it you won't hear the pitch-shifting.

doing the pitch-shifting without latency sounds horrible most of the time. So I'm listening to my regular 6-string while 'tracking bass', which isn't the best thing but it works. So tracking it once and then pitch-shifting it (bounce it) gives you a pretty good (but not perfect) bass-DI. It will sound better / more human than most bass-midi-VSTi's, I'm pretty sure.
What you do with that DI, that's up to you :P.

My go-to bass-mixing is to have three tracks. One is the bass-DI with an bass-amp VST + bass-cab IR on it (SVT cab from RedWirez pack, SHB - right? - free bass amp from Ignite Amps is my go-to choice for amp). This is the meat of the tone. If you want dirt in your bass-track, don't do it here, or do it very subtle.
The 2nd track is what i do to make sure the bass stays clear. I compress the bass-DI so it sounds good on its own. Then I put an EQ on it that cuts everything _above_ 250hz +/-. So you will only keep the lower bass and sub frequencies. Mix this in very subtle, just enough to make sure the bass stays clear. It's then OK to dial in a bass-tone in the amp(sim) that has a bit less bass but more clarity, the compressed-and-low-passed-DI track will provide the bass 'feel' and sub while staying perfectly clear (mixes nicely with the drums, kinda important).
The 3rd track I use as dirt track. I run the bass-DI track through a free bass-VST that emulates the Sansamp-bass-DI thingie. It's free from TSE Audio (called B.O.D. I think). Dial in a lot of dirt, low on bass and high on mids and presence. If needed use a saturation plugin afterwards to get a bit more dirt.
Mix those three tracks to your taste (and if you want a clean bass line, don't use the 3rd dirt track :P).

I've been thinking about getting a cheap Squier P-bass or something to lay down bass tracks, but since I'm working more on my own guitar playing I don't find it worth it (for me) at this time. But I think the feel of the thicker strings and actually hearing the correct low notes will make it easier to play bass. Cause playing my strat as if it's a bass is trickier than I thought, I keep wanting to go fast, make a rhythm that makes me heard and is apart from the drums (instead of falling in line with the drummer :P) or make chords and stuff :P.

Brother Charles

Postby Brother Charles » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:20 am

I really like Amplitube's Ampeg SVT set. I bought while it was offered for a 50% off sale last year.
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite
"Supporting and promoting independent audio software developers."

naike

Postby naike » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:40 pm

I also export my bass as midi from guitar pro and I'm looking for options to get it to sound good.

mastermindjacquard

Postby mastermindjacquard » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:52 pm

overloud's bass vst is the shiznit

TBlanner

Postby TBlanner » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:22 am

I love the bass in Independence Free

cs87

Postby cs87 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:10 pm

I think Spectrasonics Trilian is the best but of course there are many programs (plug-ins, libraries etc.) which are also very cool.
Please support me by downloading my song, it is free

http://adf.ly/1YK7kj

http://bc.vc/d0nOOF

Xupito

Postby Xupito » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:42 pm

vicnest wrote:-12 is too much for clear transpose plugins
and the sound lack of punch

Scrbee Black Bass DI: very realistic kontakt instrument with scripts
but only one bass with lots of possibilities.
It need some bass programming (like drum programming) to sound right

Boomstick bass for quicker solution

I think this is the best answer because I assume that the opener does rock/metal music. Even if not, the title says bass guitar. That means a sampled one if we want realism. You can emulate (in fact, create) all sort of things with a synth bass, but you can't emulate a pal mute or a long slide when it comes to a guitar bass, you have to sample them. Just like with electric guitars. As the mate says you've to stick with one model. There are many of them the following ones would be representative:
- ScarBee, Prominy SR5 and other Kontakt top electric basses: high level in all: quality, versatility, price, complexity, resource usage
- Shredagge Bass Kontakt: medium level
- BoomStick bass: low level, but still good if you don't need complex articulations
Sorry for my English. I'm working on it.

Alexhangman

Postby Alexhangman » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:59 pm

I would recommend this - Ample Sound Jazz Bass (finger and picked) and Precision Bass (finger).
Gibson Les Paul Classic '97 (Alnico II Pro)
Marshall 2555SL Jubilee '96
Marshall JMP '79 (#34/#36)
Orange Tiny Terror
Dunlop Talkbox, Dunlop Crybaby

Xupito

Postby Xupito » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:11 am

Alexhangman wrote:I would recommend this - Ample Sound Jazz Bass (finger and picked) and Precision Bass (finger).

What's your opinion about Ample Sound electric guitars and basses? I known like many that they do very good acoustic guitars but I'm not sure about the electric ones.
Sorry for my English. I'm working on it.

chrisdodge

Postby chrisdodge » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:51 pm

+1 for Ample bass VSTi ... And they include a guitar pro tab player that takes care about articulation !!!

TheMarkness

Postby TheMarkness » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:35 pm

Well before I started using sample libraries I used DSK's BassZ.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9JiQst6vgc

Specifically the precision bass.
You put that thing through FreeAmp3 and Kefir and it'll sound quite convincing next to guitars!

Return to “Digital audio workstation (DAW)”