Cubase and "LeCab" automations

Digital audio workstation is a dedicated subforum for newbies to receive helpful support. ( Cubase , Sonar, Logic Pro, Pro Tools, Samplitude, Digital Performer, Garageband ... )
wishmaster
antispam: 6

Cubase and "LeCab" automations

Postby wishmaster » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:25 am

Hello...

Was just checkin out a lots of different IR's to this great LeCab made out of Poulin-guy.
Weeee! Yaaay!. Great sound.

Routing: Guitar->DI-box->Marshall JMP-1->Firepod->Cubase eq's (1khz&2khz -15dbs)->Lecab->Europower (cubase EQ -7db at 2khz. and lowpass at 180khz).

.... but ... is there any automation-compatibilities exisiting for changing different IR's ?

- I know there's the usual things named beneath the "automation"-menu - but how to change the "IR .WAV's?
- I see there is something called "unknown" in the automation menu with this VST plugin. What is this?
I'd very much like to automate these IR plugings inside the Pouin Lecab VST to enhance the sound to the band I am playing to.

Info for use:
I have compiled a huge project in Cubase 5 - both consisting of lots of .MID (converted from guitarpro) incl synths, vox, bass, drums - all with VSTi and lots of other "separate tracks/master tracks" with total playing time for 4.5 hrs incl video (.XViD) of the accurate guitarpro...
I have been using "Jmp-1" (with midi automation) and "Amplitube (to add extra thickness and sharpness for a good amp-sound with cubase automation) until now...

I feel that the Lecal along with Jmp1 is doing quite the good job. But I need to automate the different IR files... Anyone have a clue?

Pickasso

Re: Cubase and "LeCab" automations

Postby Pickasso » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:55 am

I don't know about leCab, but have done automation with Nadir. It's pretty basic, just works between the 2 cabs you have loaded in dual mono mode, and then automate the 'balance' knob which is like a blend. All the way to the right= right cab, all the way left = left cab. So, yeah it's just the 2 cabs, but it works!
I think even if you could figure out how to actually change the cab which is loaded with automation so it loads a different cab, you'd likely hear a click or other noise every time it loads a cab.

What kind of D.I. box are you using in your setup?

jorismak

Postby jorismak » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:02 am

Don't think it's even possible to automate things with filenames or something like that.
Switching things on or off is basically how far it goes.

Lecab2 is ancient now, and not the most stable so I would suggest switching to NadIR or something like that anyway for life use. And automating it to toggle between two cabs is easy enough.

Programs like Ableton and (cheaper) Cantabile are more aimed at live use and have things like 'set lists' where a whole different plugin configuration is loaded after a certain song ends etc.. Isn't that more what you're after?

wishmaster

Postby wishmaster » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:03 am

Pickasso: I'm using a Behringer Tube Ultragain with 2 outputs
Jack - directly to JMP further into Firepod
and XLR directly into my Firepod.

This gives me 2 streams, one totally clean (which I use VST plugin), and one scrambled with Jmp-1 sound.... ;-)

Jorismak:
Hm... Maybe I didn't dig into it deeply enough...? I'll make sure to check them out! :-) After holiday though....

Thanks to you guys for lots of good information.

Xupito

Postby Xupito » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:23 pm

jorismak wrote:Don't think it's even possible to automate things with filenames or something like that.
Switching things on or off is basically how far it goes.

Just like he says. Automation of one parameter can only have 256 possibilities at max, one byte.

The closest thing I can think of is using RedWirez MixIR2 (cheap but commercial). It has a limit, but you can load many impulses with a single instance and switch between them with automation.

Ironically, the free convolver cab sim that can load more impulses is precisely LeCab. As Jorismak says NadIR is more advanced technically but it can load only one impulse per side (or one left/right combination, two in dual mono mode), while LeCab can load three (or four, I don't remember).

Perhaps would be better loading one NadIR instance per IR (or left/right IR combination) and switching (bypassing) between them. But this method could consume much more CPU. I'm not sure, but it's possible that, VST3 aside, bypassing a VST plugin doesn't turn off its CPU usage. I don't remember but for sure many people here know this important detail.

Hope it helps.
Sorry for my English. I'm working on it.

jorismak

Postby jorismak » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:59 am

Bypassing a VST plugin _will_ stop it from calculating stuff.

Feeding it silence will not stop it from consuming CPU, turning it off (IN YOUR DAW, not the plugin itself) will skip any cpu usage.

In Reaper, muting a track will disable any calculations on it (so you free up cpu). What I have is multiple tracks with different amp sims, all record-armed and playing live.. only they are all muted but one. And with a midi-footswitch I mute and unmute different channels.

I basically use it to switch between fender-clean with spring reverb and subtle tape-delay, pretty dry rhythm with tube-screamer in front as boost, and lead tone with tube screamer actually turned up, bass dialed down in the amp and adding a big digital ping-pong delay with hall-reverb. Clean, Rhythm, Lead.

You can also have one track on which you put the amp sim, but _not_ the cabinet emulation. You route the output of this track to two busses / other tracks. On those tracks you have different kind of cab-emulation with effects as you desire. Use automation to mute and unmute those two tracks. The amp sim will always be running in its own track so it's always 'working' (no pops and plops and stuff) but you basically switch cab configuration with the push of a button.

soulkeeper1234

Postby soulkeeper1234 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:37 am

Thanks to you guys for lots of good information.
gclub download

Return to “Digital audio workstation (DAW)”