Linux. How it works.

Digital audio workstation is a dedicated subforum for newbies to receive helpful support. ( Cubase , Sonar, Logic Pro, Pro Tools, Samplitude, Digital Performer, Garageband ... )
rusk
antispam: 6

Re: Linux. How it works.

Postby rusk » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:28 am

BTW latest reports about next Ubuntu LTS release testing are very optimistic. In couple months we'll have new stable Long Term Support OS.

jannytra

Postby jannytra » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:22 pm

Hello, I am also looking forward to Ubuntu 12.04, especially because it is going to be supported for incredible 5 years.

I myself tried to build music based Ubuntu using KXStudio repositories, but I ended up reinstalling my Ubuntu - because the upgrade process dragged in too much unwanted stuff and I did not like my Ubuntu anymore. But I am going to install another Ubuntu only for music work and I will again use KXStudio repositories, because it seems really nice, a lot of work has been done there :)

I will report back when I get it running :)

joaquinotero

Postby joaquinotero » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:38 am

rusk wrote:No need any downloads in Linux! No installers! Just run Ubuntu software center, find needed application and click "Install". That's it!

You have a big bunch of software out of the box. Ubuntu repositoryes contains more then 250GB of software. All you have to do is find software in software center and install it with one magic click. You even have metapackages, which will install all needed software automatically. For example you can install ubuntustudio-audio and ubuntustudio-audio-plugins. These packages will install all audio software automatically. If you want more, learn a little about repositoryes and add to sources list kxstudio repositoryes. This way you will have most up to date audio software and plugins.

Your soundcard driver instructions is here

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index. ... or-Lexicon

But first try to install ubuntustudio-audio and try to run jack. I think your sondcard should work out of the box.

Thanks a lot for your reply Rusk; yes, i found the software center, and now i'm struggling to run jack server, until now it's been a lost war. (its always the same to configure jack?), I've read many articles from ubuntu pages and followed step by step their instructions but nothing has happened. (its worth to mention that until now I havent connected the lexicon, I just made attemtps to run jack for record/playback with the sound chipset of my PC's mainboard).

I'm getting a message, its asking for change/add a line in a file from the "etc" folder, but this file is protected; there's no way to edit it, so I cant add the lines that jack message requires.

¿should I ask help for the people from ubuntu? ¿do you know someone/some page to contact at ubuntu?

Thanks a lot for your very valuable help.

joaquinotero

Postby joaquinotero » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:01 am

This is what I get from jack:

22:16:36.101 Patchbay deactivated.
22:16:36.549 Statistics reset.
22:16:36.618 ALSA connection graph change.
22:16:37.279 ALSA connection change.
22:17:08.855 ALSA connection change.
22:19:12.242 Startup script...
22:19:12.243 artsshell -q terminate
sh: artsshell: not found
22:19:12.647 Startup script terminated with exit status=32512.
22:19:12.648 JACK is starting...
22:19:12.649 /usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -r44100 -p1024 -n2 -D -Chw:0 -Phw:0 -Xseq -zr
jackd 0.118.0
Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
JACK is running in realtime mode, but you are not allowed to use realtime scheduling.
Please check your /etc/security/limits.conf for the following lines
and correct/add them:
@audio - rtprio 100
@audio - nice -10
After applying these changes, please re-login in order for them to take effect.
You don't appear to have a sane system configuration. It is very likely that you
encounter xruns. Please apply all the above mentioned changes and start jack again!
22:19:12.723 JACK was started with PID=1343.
22:19:12.759 JACK was stopped with exit status=255.
22:19:12.761 Post-shutdown script...
22:19:12.762 killall jackd
jackd: no process found
22:19:13.203 Post-shutdown script terminated with exit status=256.
22:19:14.899 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks for your attentions.

rusk

Postby rusk » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:51 am

But I am going to install another Ubuntu only for music work and I will again use KXStudio repositories, because it seems really nice, a lot of work has been done there

They promiced compatibility with 12.04. Old kxstudio iso was highly dependent of KDE. New Cadence tool is much more useful for studio enviroinment then ubuntustudio controls.

joaquinotero wrote:This is what I get from jack:

I hope someone can help me.

Look here: http://ardour.org/node/1449
All guys reported that it's just works without any issues.
All administrative tasks you can make with sudo. So if file is protected you should open it with sudo. Type in terminal:

sudo gedit /etc/path/to/protected/file

then type password of currently logged in user (it will not show nothing when you typing, just type your password then press Enter).

Another issue, for better performance a lot of audio apps uses realtime option. To use this setting you have to install realtime or lowlatency kernel and add user to audio group with permissions to change process priority. Try to google about realtime kernels, it worked out of the box for me after installing ubuntustudio-audio package in lucid lynx. Now I use liquorix ultrafast kernel with zen patches.

http://liquorix.net/

Don't forget to reboot after changing kernel ;-)
With any rt kernel you can enable rt option in jack and set priority (i usually set to 70%).

rusk

Postby rusk » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:56 am

Your jack log says you have no permissions to use rt kernel. You should instal any realtime kernel AND configure realtime access:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ubunt ... plications
Last edited by rusk on Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

rusk

Postby rusk » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:12 am

do you know someone/some page to contact at ubuntu?

Most wonderful feature you have using Open Source software is the ability to interact with developers face to face. Try IRC channels #ardour, #kxstudio, they allways reply to questions when they are online.

Ubuntu studio forum is here http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.ph ... 0302&f=335
And falk-tx (kxstudio developer) is here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1670196

Feel free to ask, they aren't restricted by corporate terms and usually reply to questions.

rusk

Postby rusk » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:44 am

I have found a nice new linuxaudio blog.
http://linuxhomerecording.blogspot.com/

It contains all things you need to learn about music production in Linux.

joaquinotero

Postby joaquinotero » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:53 pm

Hey Rusk; I would like to thank you for taking time to help me. Tonight i will try to follow your advices. Thanks again.

joaquinotero

Postby joaquinotero » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:32 am

Hi Rusk, I have news. I've uninstalled Ubuntu10.04, then downloaded tango studio and everything seems to be OK now. jack is running and I've been able to connect my Lexicon Omega and get it working. (at least that's what it seems)

Just a question, I didnt installed any driver, jack recognized the Lexicon Omega once it was connected. ¿does it means that I dont have to reinstall drivers from the page that you linked?

A similar behaviour is at Windows; the system recognizes the device without any driver (just as any USB flash memory) but the manual says that drivers must be installed for get the Lexicon Omega working properly.

Thanks for your help.

rusk

Postby rusk » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:18 am

You're already has proper driver installed when you posted jack log. The problem was in realtime permissions. The only thing that tango studio did for you is set realtime permissions. I've told you, that your soundcard should work out of the box. Then yes, you don't need additional drivers.

Other way to get things worked was to disable realtime checkboxes in JACK configuration. It should work fine on modern PC.

jannytra

Postby jannytra » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:52 pm

Hi Rusk, I'd like to ask for an advice. I am still playing with KXStudio built on Ubuntu 10.04 32bit. I am playing drums here in hydrogen, which works great. I got Ardour running but I still have to learn how to work with it. The only thing which is bothering me are Windows VST Plugins.

I use GGate, TSE808, mostly Le456 and LeCab. I create a ladish studio and add these plugs. I create settings for them and save those settings to festige folder under name e.g. Fada_to_Black-GGate etc. and in properties of that plug I enter path to these settings. But my studios keep crashing, although sometimes they load without problems. I could not find solution to this. The only "studio", which is working, it a tuning studio with GGate and GTune, where I tune my guitar. Any ideas? :(

rusk

Postby rusk » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:35 am

If you're familiar with linux you can try to grep syslog or dmesg for errors right after crash. Try to set more jack buffer size and less rt priority (if you use rt kernel). Then look for using native linux plugins instead of VST. For example I'm absolutely happy with IR.LV2 impulse loader after LeCab. LeCab caused extreme CPU loads for me. IR.LV2 you can use inside ardour. U can also find some noise gate plugins inside ardour. Then take a look at DSSI-VST bridge.

sudo apt-get install dssi-vst

(you're allready have it installed if you're using FeSTige). DSSI-VST adds all vst plugins to ardour plugin selection list. They are loaded with ardour default GUI, so it means you will not load GUI with wine. Most plugins are usefull this way.

Problems may appear in graphic user interface, it depends of your GPU and wine version. At least I never meet crashes using TSE plugins loaded with fst (FeSTige).

jannytra

Postby jannytra » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:48 pm

Nope, I am not that familiar with Linux yet, quite a newbie :( But what you say about GUI seems reasonable - I am using Ubuntu 10.04, so there are old graphic drivers and maybe packages are not that maintained anymore. And also - I am not using rt kernel, just the generic one - the lowlatency one refused to compiles wlan and gpu drivers :)

I will try the dssi-vst bridge as you suggest and also I am looking towards Ubuntu 12.04, I am already testing it in VirtualBox to get used to it :)

Thank you for your time :)

rusk

Postby rusk » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:32 pm

I mean wine caused desktop crashes sometimes and i noticed those crashes was related to drawing windows GUI.

In 10.04 you can try rt kernel from kxstudio repos.

I'm also waiting 12.04 LTS. I have been tested LiveCD and want to say I love it! First so stable alfa I ever tryed. Hope they will not break it until release date.

jannytra

Postby jannytra » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:53 pm

Actually it does not crash my entire desktop, it is just Claudia that stops responding. Could be because of wine as you say. Unfortunately I do not have much time to play with it right now, my goal now is to learn recording with ardour, I want to record drums tracks I created in hydrogen.

I also like the new Ubuntu, testing beta1 here. Time to time I have some minor crashes, but overall I like it. But I think Unity will not be suitable for music, I think will give XFCE a try :)

slowpick

Postby slowpick » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:48 pm

I would split your recording, using hydrogen and festige with timemachine recorder,
for drums and ampsims,
then use ardour for mastering, multi-track, and more fx if desired.

festige needs wineasio installed, and then registered

regsvr32 wineasio.dll

Show festige where your vst folder is, menu- edit -preferences-paths

LePou plugins all work for me, and TSE, Amplitube, Guitar Rig yadayada

Install all the lv2 utilities, and slv2, zynjacku and jack-rack (rack GUIs) and fx, mda, invada, ir, calf plugins, and ladspa fx:
amb, caps, fil, mcp, omins, rev, swh, tap, vco

hydrogen kit fx:
1. go to hydrogen mixer lower right corner, click the fx button
2. on the panel that opens, click the edit button, just under the blue bar
3. the Ladspa Properties panel opens, click the select fx button
4. select from the alphabetized list (caps and tap are large groups)
5. There is a (tiny)volume/amount knob for each of the four fx, just below the big Pan knob in the mixer.
Thus each drum can have any mix of 4 possible fx

You can have more than 1 hydrogen, with different kits, drive it with
old midi drum machines etc 8)

rusk

Postby rusk » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:46 am

festige doesn't need wineasio.. wineasio bridge is designed for standalone asio applications. festige uses vestige - an open implementation of VST SDK by LMMS developers. VST SDK is an API for plugins, not audio driver.

jannytra

Postby jannytra » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:37 pm

thanks for your tips slowpick. I'm got recording working, I was recording some hydrogen stuff. Ardour is great, I really like it.

The only thing bothering me are those VST plugins. I will try what rusk advised me if I have time, but I am quite awaiting new Ubuntu 12.04, hope wine and VST plugins will be working there ok for me :)

joaquinotero

Postby joaquinotero » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:29 am

@rusk : Could you tell me please of any IR convolver VST (Windows) that run without any problem under Linux?.
Ive been using lepou´s but they has many problems when saving-importing fps state presets.
I guess that I wouldnt be using IR LV2 because Im running ubuntu-tangostudio in a live CD, it would be non-practical install the program every time I run the operating system.

Another question, I would like to try Jokosher DAW that comes with tangostudio, but it seems it has problems working under JACK environment; I downloaded the windows version too and its the same problem. It seems a extremely flexible environment, so its a pity that I cant make it work.

Also, is there any way to save the connections for any JACK session?. I have patchage preinstalled in tangostudio, but I cant find a way to save the multiple connections I did for every single session.

Two days ago, I was playing guitar through ignite software and Kefir, It was almost 1 hour since I started and suddenly my CPU shut off; the power led stayed lighted but the system went off!!!!, I notice that CPU usage was around 40% before the shutdown. DOes this anytime happened to you?.

I hope you can help me with some information.

Thanks in advance.

rusk

Postby rusk » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:27 pm

@joaquinotero, both lecab and boogex works fine for me.

Note, You can allways make your own Live CD with all your favorite apps:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=688872

BTW, kxstudio 12.04 ISO is out now. I didn't tryed yet but may be there's a Live CD option. Feel free to ask falktx here:
http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewforum.php?f=47

kxstudio have it's own session manager frontend called Claudia. It saves all jack connections and all applications sessions into one project. It is the best session manager I ever used. Most useful applications are compatibile with LADISH.

Regarding DAWs: why don't you use Ardour? Seems like we'll see final release very soon! For the moment Ardour3 is feature-frozen and allmost stable.

About CPU usage.. What CPU do you have? I didn't noticed any troubles on my mobile Intel Core2Duo T7200 2GHz. Try to minimize wine stuff in chain. Switch to IR.LV2, increase latency in JACK... Try to use lightweight desktop enviroinments. I use xfce4 for now and I'm happy! System eats 100 MB of RAM at startup! Compare it with windows!!!

Another tip about CPU. I have fixed my laptop CPU temperature issues which caused crashes by reinstalling CPU with new thermal compound. Check CPU temperature and cooling status.

joaquinotero

Postby joaquinotero » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:11 am

@rusk, Hi mate; thanks for replying.
I think I will try to do a Live CD for an own installation.
Tango studio actually has a LOT of software that I dont need (around 8GB), thats a lot of space for my 40GB HD.
Im using wine programs (ezdrummer and festige/windows vsts). By the way, how could I switch to xface?

Would you recommend me switch to kxstudio from tangostudio? any advantage?

Ardour is OK but CPU load of ampsims is around 40-50% (at low quality) so I need a lightweight DAW. I just recently downloaded a metronome that supports jack and opted to record tracks via jackcapture utility; then I would use ardour for mixing purposes only.

I was thinking to start with a minimal CD installation and then add only the software that i really need. once I get more confident with this tasks I will wrote to you again for help.

According the web, Claudia is part of Cadence Tools and available through Kxstudio repositories; I added ppa's to software sources at Ubuntu software center but I got nothing, only kxstudio kernels appears in the list. any other way to install Claudia?

I would like to ask you about liquorix kernel. ¿will I have less latency in comparison with realtime kernel?(I switched to realtime from low latency just yesterday and I noticed a minor improvement in this issue)

Thanks again for your help rusk.
Best regards.

rusk

Postby rusk » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:31 am

Cadence tools are in this repository: http://ppa.launchpad.net/kxstudio-team/kxstudio/ubuntu
Did you added all repos? Here are all links: http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/KXStudio:Repositories

Tangostudio is a bit old. Note, kxstudio is most full and modern bunch of audio software & plugins for the moment. If you want a lightweight studio, try to install Ubuntustudio, then install kxstudio-desktop-xfce and kxstudio-meta-audio over ubuntustudio. CPU load is about latency/priority ballance. Type 'uname -a' in terminal. What kernel do you use? kxstudio have linux-realtime packages in 'kernel' repository. If you're allready using rt kernel, try to increase buffer size in JACK preferences. Up to 512 samples is enough for live playing. I use 256 samples with my CPU and it runs OK.

I tryed liquorix in lucyd linx, then while I switched to precise pangolin liquorix doesn't work for me. Didn't tryed for over 4 months or so. Now I'm using realtime-pae kernel from kxstudio.

I never noticed CPU issues using ardour itself. If you have slow CPU, you can do nothing with CPU hungry VSTs. Try to use Linux native ampsims. For example guitarix.

joaquinotero

Postby joaquinotero » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:28 am

Hi Rusk, I was moving some "knobs" on Ardour and I got reduced CPU load.
I was tracking with NickCrows 8505+Kefir.1Ch+Ardour and I had 35% of load, but then I switched Ardour to work as a Tape Machine and CPU Load reduced to 16%. Thats OK for me because this is the CPU load that I got on windows when I was working with another DAW and the same VSTs.
By the way, Im gonna try kxstudio.

StephDAVOS

Postby StephDAVOS » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:56 pm

Hi guys,

I'm new here and you should be able to read about me in the "Introduce yourself forum" soon (there seem to be some validation process going on).

Anyway, I am very interested by this very thread since this is what I'm all about lately. Running amp sims in Linux.

I actually got things up quite easily thanks to rusk advices. I installed KXStudio as suggested and was amazed my Cakewalk UA-1G USB interface worked out of the box. Linux distributions are getting better every year.

My biggest disapointment is I constently fail to run TSE 808 pedal and Simulanalog JCM900 (with GUI) plugins together in FeSTige (fst mode) without Jack going nut on XRuns. I read I'm not the only one here experiencing similar behaviour.

This is kind of a problem for me because dssi-vst mode drops LADISH support which prevents me from running studios in Claudia. Thus, I need to set everything up manually everytime in Catia which is not compatible with my plans of running this setup at live shows.

This is actually very frustrating because everything works , and more important, sounds, nearly as well as I always hoped. Would you guys be aware of any way out ?

I read Ardour (in a tape machine mode I still need to figure out) would make a great host for vst plugins through dssi. Would this actually let me store presets by some non LADISH way ? I would like to be able to send midi over as well to, ideally switch studios (like I'm used to with hardware multi-effects patches).

You must have got it, any suggestion is more than welcome !
--
StephDAVOS

Return to “Digital audio workstation (DAW)”