Linux. How it works.

Digital audio workstation is a dedicated subforum for newbies to receive helpful support. ( Cubase , Sonar, Logic Pro, Pro Tools, Samplitude, Digital Performer, Garageband ... )
rusk
antispam: 6

Re: Linux. How it works.

Postby rusk » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:22 am

I wasn't even able to get to a phase where I was able to download or install anything.

You have a LiveCD. This is a fully functional OS with network drivers. You're able to boot in recovery console terminal emulation with working network, where you can reinstall anything you want with couple simple commands.

apt-get purge package_name
apt-get install package_name

These two commands will completely reinstall package_name with default settings. The main meta-package which get you window-manager is ubuntu-desktop.

If you've experimented with kernel and got a terminal promt instead of xorg login screen, you're allways able lo load previus kernel from GRUB menu. Simple press SHIFT on startup to load GRUB.

Then, if you've installed /home on a separate partition (like d: drive on windows), you're allways able to reinstall Linux from LiveCD again without data loss.

hal rockwell

Postby hal rockwell » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:27 pm

Don't get me wrong, rusk. I do want to thank you for all your help, but lately I've started working long hours and decided to give up on experimenting with Linux. I just don't have anymore time to spare. I'll stick to Windows 7 for the time being. I guess it's the only way I'll get anything done now.

rusk

Postby rusk » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:32 pm

Your thanks are more needed for Linux community to help them make the product better.

Linux is great OS. Linux starts and works with default settings, right? You're does something with it and Linux becomes unbootable (probably you simply doesn't knew how to boot in). So why you tell others that Linux is bad? It isn't truth.

And I probably know how you has got unbootable Linux. You have nVidia and you has tryed to install realtime kernel, right?

hal rockwell

Postby hal rockwell » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:13 am

No, I tried to install Compiz. I have a friend who is god gifted programmer and can handle computers better than anyone else I know. When I told him that I'm going to install Linux on my PC, he was the one that speaking against it. All the bad things I said about Linux, he said first, and I wouldn't believe him and told him that I still want to try. I'm open to new things and ready to try them out. Maybe we'll speak again in 2013, when a new LTS version of Ubuntu will be released.

rusk

Postby rusk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:59 am

Hmm... No need to INSTALL compiz in current Ubuntu LTS. It can be enabled in System -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Visual Effects by clicking the Extra bubble.

That's it!

You can install compiz-config settings manager. It's GUI for ajusting visual effects. It can be installed in Sinaptic package manager or with simple shell command typed in terminal:

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

Then if you want transparent window frames you can install emerald and download any theme from gnome-look.org and import themes into Emerald theme manager.

You can try this distro: http://ultimateedition.info/ it starts live from DVD by default with compiz fusion enabled. It's the same distribution as Ubuntu, but with extended software list installed by default. No need any changes after boot from DVD.

slowpick

Postby slowpick » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:14 am

hal rockwell wrote:No, I tried to install Compiz. I have a friend who is god gifted programmer and can handle computers better than anyone else I know. When I told him that I'm going to install Linux on my PC, he was the one that speaking against it. All the bad things I said about Linux, he said first, and I wouldn't believe him and told him that I still want to try. I'm open to new things and ready to try them out. Maybe we'll speak again in 2013, when a new LTS version of Ubuntu will be released.

Hal, and lurkers,
Lone ranger always rides off cliff in the darkness, join a solid linux forum and ask xyz before ride off in sunset.
New linux version are trainwreck, an ubuntu specialty. Save for beta-testers. avoid at all costs
Your soundcard must be linux comaptible, google, then linux forum
Your videocard should be last years nvidia, google, then linux forum.
Usbstick installs, google linux gparted to partition/format, and then google ext3 ext4 filesystems.

Ubuntu Studio 8.04 stable, best Ubuntu to record out of box, even from live CD
Mint 10 polished and elegant ubuntu derivative, good to add audio apps
AV Linux polished fast media linux, ready to record
KX Studio solid author, it works, he broke his laptop recently, so work slowed at the worst time.
PCLinuxOS uses fast bfs scheduler in new kernels, most stable easiest linux? Probably. 7 versions, from mini to full-monte

Puppy Linux Macpup 520 best one to start with a clean slate, add just what you need. (Not mac-as-in-apple)

rusk

Postby rusk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:16 am

And you know, your friend isn't real programmer. Real programmers know the truth. C (and C++ later) was designed as programming language for UNIX operation system first and any UNIX operation system is programmer friendly by default. Windows and any closed or partially described API from microsoft are programmers REAL PAIN, the source of day-by-day struggle against bugs, perfomance and security issues stupid patform restrictions etc... As web programmer I cannot talk about Internet Explorer (any version of that piece of shit) without Saint Anger...
Last edited by rusk on Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

slowpick

Postby slowpick » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:25 am

rusk wrote:Your thanks are more needed for Linux community to help them make the product better.

Linux is great OS. Linux starts and works with default settings, right? You're does something with it and Linux becomes unbootable (probably you simply doesn't knew how to boot in). So why you tell others that Linux is bad? It isn't truth.

And I probably know how you has got unbootable Linux. You have nVidia and you has tryed to install realtime kernel, right?

Your name 'rusk' came up in unrelated google search, you said Amplitube Custom Shop is working in wine? Which wine, kernel, browser, windowmanager, and linux distro? (the 4:45 birds were singing, hope I read correctly :wink: )

rusk

Postby rusk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:39 am

Your videocard should be last years nvidia, google, then linux forum.

I have Ubuntu installed on Intel GMA950, VIA Unichrome IGP and nVidia old mx440. Compiz and Emerald works properly elsewhere. Try Windows7 on these graphic adapters and you'll see how piece of shit looks like ;-)

(may be GMA950 is win7 compatibile, not tryed).

Your name 'rusk' came up in unrelated google search, you said Amplitube Custom Shop is working in wine? Which wine, kernel, browser, windowmanager, and linux distro? (the 4:45 birds were singing, hope I read correctly :wink: )

Yes. Amplitube Custom Shop works (it's a tool for downloading trials). But Amplitube3 Free itself - doesn't. I don't need Custom Shop tool without app itself.

BTW I have working Amplitube X-GEAR, previous freebie from IK Multimedia.

The OS is Ubuntu 10.10 but with all audio related software from kxstudio PPAs and lowlatency 2.6.38 kernel from abogany PPA.. Wine version is 1.3.9 with IE stuff installed with winetricks. WM is Gnome + Compiz + Emerald.

Birds here where singed ten hours ago. I'm in Moldova, GMT+2 timezone.
Last edited by rusk on Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rusk

Postby rusk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:03 pm

slowpick, if you're interested, please add your suggestion here and call your friends that use Linux for guitar processing.

http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13501

The problem looks like Amplitube does some checks at startup and exits imediately for unknown reasons. FST tells about SIGUSR1 system call before plugin initialising begins...

slowpick

Postby slowpick » Sun May 01, 2011 8:58 am

rusk wrote:slowpick, if you're interested, please add your suggestion here and call your friends that use Linux for guitar processing.

http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13501

The problem looks like Amplitube does some checks at startup and exits imediately for unknown reasons. FST tells about SIGUSR1 system call before plugin initialising begins...

I use Cantabile12lite 1.2 and wineasio to load amplitube Hendrix, Metal, and Fender versions, when I want to create thunder and lightning, it only holds 4 plugins (its the free version limit)but cpu is maxed out by then on the old pc. But the dogs run and hide, and the old deaf cats fur starts falling off :lol: Women have diverse responses :roll: such creatures as they be. Standalone versions start with wine name.exe Love the Hendrix rotary speaker and tremolo making tornadoes out of Metal and Fender sounds :shock:
For more normal things, the SoloC Fullstack is my favorite ampsim, with rakarrack to give it all sort of fx. Guitarix looks sounds good, but more for people who understand how to use all the knobs, IRs, and settings. Too deep for me.
I now also officially know where Moldova is, how I would love to be a world traveler! Saw some great recipes for
your local foods, not a wise choice of browsing to look at tasty meals before breakfast :wink:

rusk

Postby rusk » Mon May 02, 2011 8:24 am

Try IR.LV2, the best convolution reverb ever!

I agree, there's a lot of free vst's that works in Linux. The new one TSE X50 works fine and it's a greatest hit of software ampsims for now.

Nevermind where Moldova is. It's still a part of Soviet Union Empire. May be the uglyest part. But you're right, the foods and especially vines are great here.
Last edited by rusk on Tue May 03, 2011 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

slowpick

Postby slowpick » Mon May 02, 2011 4:43 pm

I tried the TSE-X50, and TS808, I think the boys invented some new dsp loudgorithm :lol:
Knocked two legs off the corner spider with the first strum :shock:
Now its a Leg 6 Spider :wink:

slowpick

Postby slowpick » Thu May 05, 2011 6:47 pm

http://www.bodhilinux.com/

This is a small barebones linux,with fast E17 desktop, good to add only what you need and want, for a fast
and efficient OS. iso is less than 400 meg, can install to usbstick, or run in ram
from the cd, ignoring your hard-disks if desired. It can access the vast debian and ubuntu
software collections, as well as PPAs (specialty collections).

rusk

Postby rusk » Sun May 08, 2011 9:43 am

http://gnuguitarinux.sourceforge.net/

Linux distribution for guitarists.

thiagocosta85

Postby thiagocosta85 » Tue May 31, 2011 1:39 am

I have guitar rig running on Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy x86 with wine, (required some system32 files to be copyed from a genuine win XP install) No asio required.

Also, compiz needs to be off other wise it will make it look funny...

Also, Adobe AE works on Linux / Sony Vegas, for Video edditing ( and sync) (like syncing ur guitar to ur drums)

.... I <3 Linux ..

note, I didn't get it working with Back Track, nor Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Kaola ... 7.10 Gutsy is my #1 backup. <3
http://www.youtube.com/user/guitarnewbie85?feature=mhum
You are welcome to visit my you tube channel,maybe we can share beginner's ideas because I am a beginner. I bought my guitar less than 1 month ago, but the amount of time I am spending on it is definitely helping.
http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?t=13400
Visit that thread and please share your .KSD preset with us.

slowpick

Postby slowpick » Tue May 31, 2011 5:19 am

Hi, nice to hear GR is working for you. If at some point you need more cpu, Ubuntu Studio 8.04 may have
been their best release, and includes an RT kernel, which will in effect give you a faster studio setup.
Once they hit V9, they sped up out of control, leaving an annoying wake of unfixed bugs, so other teams developed
good audio distros, to meet the need.
Cheers

rusk

Postby rusk » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:13 pm

so other teams developed
good audio distros, to meet the need.

kx-studio and remix-os are my favorite. kx-studio is full of bundeled software. remix-os is fast and elegant xfce based for best perfomance because it's comes with liquorix kernel.

RogergLewis

Postby RogergLewis » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:17 am

Greta Thread this,

I have been recording my trials and tribulations getting Linux to work on my Acer Aspire one Net book with upgrade Ram of 2GB and an external Soundblaster sound card.

I hav'de Reaper and amplitube live installed on windows 7 on this machine previously and the machine kept crashing the drives the CPU,s were running at Meltdown and playing hard and live was just not possible.

I experimented with Linux at the beginning of the year but went for the easy route with Windows 7 previously this netbook came with XP installed and I basically broke that, windows Blue screens and eventually a complete unrebootable mess. I installed windows 7 from scratch and then also with VMware had a bunch of virtual machines running inside my Imac which is 5 years old or so with one of the first intel chips used in Macs.

I use Logic in the I mac and run several of the Amplitubes especially Fender Amplitube and ARC for my hoe studio, when travelling I wanted a workable DAW on my net book and after being away from my mac for nearly 2 months I have a stable and working DAW on my Netbook.

Full story of process of Net book conversion here.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=26690&page=10

It has been a learning curve and Pulse Audio has been a difficulty which endures as to get skype working I tried a few fixes which revlve around this fix.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578

2. Ensure you have the necessary PulseAudio libraries and configuration utilities installed:
Code:

$ sudo apt-get install libasound2-plugins padevchooser libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio

3. Ensure the evil "libflashsupport" library is not installed:
Code:

$ sudo apt-get remove --purge libflashsupport flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound

Note: If you are greeted with the error "Connection failed: Connection refused", manually launch PulseAudio before opening the PulseAudio Volume Control application:
Code:

$ pulseaudio & pavucontrol

6. Ensure that your sound card's PCM mixer is not muted or set to 0% volume (this appears to be a common bug in Intrepid and Jaunty):

Code:

$ alsamixer -Dhw

Note: When the PulseAudio ALSA plugins are active, you must explicitly specify your hardware device in alsamixer (marked in blue above), otherwise it will open the PulseAudio mixer.

I have now discovered the wonderfull world of open source plug ins I have delved into it breifly in the past having read an article about the top ten amp modeling solutions but this process has led me to a different perspective as to what the Plugin world is all about and where it is happening yesterday I downloaded a fantastic TS808 plug in which I will demo at aome point but is is brilliant and has great graphics as well.

Still left with the final challenge of Getting Reaper to talk to Jackct and get my latency down Iḿ no more than a few mouse clicks away but the clicks are not obvious ones. I found a great article about setting up computers for optimal Live useage of Pluguins and Daws etc so will have another look in there. The same Article or Foru'm thread also pointed me to a lot of Plug in stuff.

Reaper also can be used in wdm or directsound modes, from its audio device preferences. Don't select jackd in winecfg when using reaper, choose alsa, and wine and wineasio should
probably both be installed by synaptic, or both compiled, but not a blend. regsvr32 wineasio.dll command must be run after installing wineasio. Wineasio must be selected in the Device preferences in Reaper, and jackd must be active...all apps run by the same user...

yada yada...no wonder analog is alive and well :)

from
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.p ... 23404.html

EXCELLENT SITE AND THREAD:
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=13204

I have been blogging my experience between the Cuckos thread and a private guitar Club forum which I am a member of as The whole Linux concept is very exciting to me and I wanted to keep track of my experience to help streamline the conversion for others.

I still do not have Jack working with Reaper and suffer the latency effects of that but I am confident that I will have that cracked within the next few days.

The Linreaper installer is brilliant and the Lin reaper options loader that downloads with it took me a while to figure out.

At the moment I am using the direct sound set up and not the Wine Wineasio audio option as I can not get it hooked up with Jack as yet.

I have found that the solutions when I find them are easy to implement but the difference makes the process less intuitive for Windows uses ( those that remember and had and retain the facility for Dos, will enjoy the registry as rusk says.

I am a newly popped cherry as far as Linux goes but my experience has been very good and the system I have on this Netbook is a much better one than the windows 7 and windows XP one before it and I can do all the same things. The Native linux sound apps like guitarix and rackarack are brilliant. I am yet to teach myself how to use Ardour but it looks like it will be fun and am looking forward to playing with hydrogen.

As a non programmer but with quite a lot of experience with Logic and the commercial modelling software I have got this netbook up and running I will do a general checklist, bullet point from first to last and demo screen capture once I have the Jack issue nailed. It can be done and I would suggest patience.

I started with the new Ubuntu 11.4 then did the upgrade download through the registry for Ubuntu Studio which is brilliant and more windows like so faster for me to clic'k around in. I am now going to have a look at the upgrade to KXstudio.

My next task is to see if I can interface with my media smart server, it works with my I am at home but I have not as yet managed to log onto it which I will want to do for my Music and video film collection is on there and I need to be able to access it
which as yet I haven't managed . I'm back home to my Mac on Wednesday so should be able to get that all working of the install disc for the server which I don have with me.

I am very pleased with my new Linux based system.
A long first post Iḿ afraid but hoepfully my experience will be an encouragement and help to thiose interested in doing the Linux Thang!

rusk

Postby rusk » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:49 pm

Great post!

For the moment I removed pulseaudio from my ubuntu at all. wineasio works brilliant for all wine apps, I use it with Kontakt Player and Native Instruments Sampletank free.

joaquinotero

Postby joaquinotero » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:00 am

Hi, Ive just installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and Im downloading Rosegarden and Ardour. I hope to get them working properly, but, the first issue I have is about drivers for my lexicon omega USB interface. Could you help me how to get this drivers please?

Thanks in advance.

joaquinotero

Postby joaquinotero » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:33 am

Ive downloaded a file called jack-1.9.8.tgz. but I cant find any installer, only c++ files. ¿should I compile this files myself?

RogergLewis

Postby RogergLewis » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:50 am

Hi joaquinotero

Just to say I hope you are getting things running along sweetly.

I have been busy with my Logic based Home studio and building a guitar modeling plug in the past few months and only this past few days have been deciding whether to istall a Native Linux distro o my Mac in Boot camp I am unhappy with the performance I get with Windows 7 in VM Ware Fusion and neither VM ware or Parralels support fire wire so my MOTU traveler which does not have USB is also not useable in a virtual context. So I have concluded that for now boot camp is the best way to go ( on a windows machine booting from the different parts of a partitioned hard disc seems like the way to go.

Running one system at a time I think is actually the way to go I have tried various wrapppers Cross over Play on mac and so forth but as I am not a programmer the fixes and work arounds whilst interesting and I think in the large part workable do turn out to be the long way round in many respects.

On your Jack .tgz there are quite a few pre compiled implementations of Jack I have found personally I avoid trying to compile as I am very in experienced and I find it takes me a long time.

I downloaded jack cntrl or Jackk Pilot from here a few days ago.

http://jackosx.com/

joaquinotero

Postby joaquinotero » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:58 am

Hi Roger; thanks for your quick reply. I reviewed your link, but its destination states "a Jack audio connection kit implementation for Mac OS X...". Could this work for my ubuntu installation?.

Thanks for your help.

rusk

Postby rusk » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:25 am

No need any downloads in Linux! No installers! Just run Ubuntu software center, find needed application and click "Install". That's it!

You have a big bunch of software out of the box. Ubuntu repositoryes contains more then 250GB of software. All you have to do is find software in software center and install it with one magic click. You even have metapackages, which will install all needed software automatically. For example you can install ubuntustudio-audio and ubuntustudio-audio-plugins. These packages will install all audio software automatically. If you want more, learn a little about repositoryes and add to sources list kxstudio repositoryes. This way you will have most up to date audio software and plugins.

Your soundcard driver instructions is here

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index. ... or-Lexicon

But first try to install ubuntustudio-audio and try to run jack. I think your sondcard should work out of the box.

Return to “Digital audio workstation (DAW)”