Guide to Tone Pt 4 "Trans Amp and Treble Booster"

Beginners is a dedicated subforum for newbies to receive helpful support.
EasySleazy
antispam: 0

Guide to Tone Pt 4 "Trans Amp and Treble Booster"

Postby EasySleazy » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:41 pm

As always, load the between0 impulse in Boogex (or Pristine Space or Revalver, or any other plug in that supports impulses), load the Gratifier amp will all settings flat (that means all knobs at 12 o'clock) and the Noise Reduction component before the Gratifier with the "Release" knob at 250ms and the threshold at 11 o'clock. If you are using Boogex, remember to set the knobs as told in the previous part.

"Trans Amp"

A good distortion stomp, delivers a little weird/different distortion, better used with the CLEAN channel of the Gratifier. Right now you have the Gratifier and a noise gate loaded in the preset. Put the transamp between the two (after the noise gate and before the gratifier amp).
In the extended control panel of the transamp (shown by pressing the "+" buttom situated on the transamp), turn off the "Cab&Mic" function. Adjust all the knobs of the transamp at 12 o'clock, except the AMP control which is far right, and turned to "Calif". It should sound something like this

http://www.esnips.com/doc/4a15d7d1-ce6b ... Transamp-1

Take your time to play with the knobs (you'll notice that mostly the bass and treble knobs make a difference). I usually leave the trans amp with flat settings, maybe a little more "Drive" and the Amp turned to "Calif".
It's mostly the amp that you have to tweak with the trans amp.

To spare you from the blah blah blah, you'll find a quick preset with the transamp at the bottom of the page. Due to the fact that my chain delivers a little boomy initial clean signal, I put an Equalizer Shelving component before everything (but after the Noise Reduction component) to give clarity to the tone.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/679606a9-eb1d ... Transamp-2

If you feel the preset is a little scooped (this means the mids of the amp are lower than "usual"), turn the mids up a little. You can also turn up the gain of the amp, it will give you more mids (sounds strange but it works)!

http://www.esnips.com/doc/a4a6a9f5-32cc ... amp-3-MIDS

"Treble Booster"

This one is simple to use and very effective. It boosts the treble of the Gratifier in a good way, and it gives a chug to the tone. Set the grat at neutral settings, put the Noise Reduction before the grat, and the treble booster between the two.

Set the "boost" knob between 8-9 approximately, and the Bright knob at 12 o'clock. Here is a sample:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/e6f588c8-480d ... -booster-1

Boosting the Bright switch more, will give you more chug. Here is another sample with the same settings as before, but with different settings on the grat.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/679606a9-eb1d ... Transamp-2

and another one

http://www.esnips.com/doc/a279a082-7475 ... (2-guitars)

The demon distortion and the Metal zone, are pedals that I haven't used much, so I can't give any advice on how to use them. They are complex little suckers and kinda difficult to handle correctly.

Currently I'm using only the treble booster for my clips, doing adjustments to the Gratifier and sometimes the treble booster. I like to keep the presets as simple as possible.

EDIT: Forgot to post the preset :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by EasySleazy on Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ffffffffff

Alu
antispam: 6

Postby Alu » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:53 pm

Man, really, you're doing a great work! Respect dude! I guess this takes a lot of time so I guess you're enjoing it, right?
I love this community, a lot of kind great users!

About that "more gain = more mids" I think it'is a bit strange... seems like the gain is attenuating the sound... so I would suggest to don't cut the gain too much (like in the real amps)

That Transamp 2 kicks so much ass!

Thanx man!

\m/
Official Site | Facebook Page
Released Plug-Ins: NRR-1 | TS-999 SubScreamer | The Anvil | SHB-1 | PTEq-1a | TSB-1 Tyrant Screamer | TPA-1 | NadIR | Emissary
Guitars: LTD Deluxe M-1000 | Ibanez MTM2 (D-Sonic + Air Norton)
Soundcard: M-Audio Profire 610
Monitors: ESI nEar 08 eXperience | AKG K141 Studio Headphones
Studio Software: Cubase 6 | Overloud BREVERB | PSP sQuad | Steven Slate Drums 3.5 Platinum | Toontrack SD2.0 | URS Channel Strip Pro | VescoFx Provoker | Voxengo Curve Eq | Voxengo Elephant 3
Studio Productions: Energy Of The Elements - Heavenly Force (EP, 2009) | Injury Broadcast - Mosh Test Dummies (EP, 2010) | Subhuman - Promo 2011 | Spreadin' Fear - Mankind (FL, 2012)

iMpulZ!

Postby iMpulZ! » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:54 pm

Awsome
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser Daimond Series EMG 81/85
ESP M-II (No, I don't have it.. YET! I'm almost there)
ESP/LTD B-105
Randall RX75DG2
M-Audio JamLab

EasySleazy

Postby EasySleazy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:42 am

Thanks for the comments ppl! It doesn't take that much time. Actually it was a good chance to try other distortion stomps too!
The basic thing, is to keep all setings at 12 o'clock at first, whatever component you are using, and then fool around a little with the knobs. It's much easier this way (instead of just loading the factory settings of each component).
The next part will be difficult (and crucial). It'll be about equalizers! I may need some help/feedback with that one!
ffffffffff

Alu

Postby Alu » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:05 am

I'll try to help man!
But we have to say that eq is more a subjective argument...

Keep it up!
Official Site | Facebook Page
Released Plug-Ins: NRR-1 | TS-999 SubScreamer | The Anvil | SHB-1 | PTEq-1a | TSB-1 Tyrant Screamer | TPA-1 | NadIR | Emissary
Guitars: LTD Deluxe M-1000 | Ibanez MTM2 (D-Sonic + Air Norton)
Soundcard: M-Audio Profire 610
Monitors: ESI nEar 08 eXperience | AKG K141 Studio Headphones
Studio Software: Cubase 6 | Overloud BREVERB | PSP sQuad | Steven Slate Drums 3.5 Platinum | Toontrack SD2.0 | URS Channel Strip Pro | VescoFx Provoker | Voxengo Curve Eq | Voxengo Elephant 3
Studio Productions: Energy Of The Elements - Heavenly Force (EP, 2009) | Injury Broadcast - Mosh Test Dummies (EP, 2010) | Subhuman - Promo 2011 | Spreadin' Fear - Mankind (FL, 2012)

iMpulZ!

Postby iMpulZ! » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:15 am

EQ depends of peoples' 'taste'.. so that is going to be the toughest part, but it will be interesting for me, cuz i'm getting started on the production techniques.
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser Daimond Series EMG 81/85
ESP M-II (No, I don't have it.. YET! I'm almost there)
ESP/LTD B-105
Randall RX75DG2
M-Audio JamLab

HeadMusic

Postby HeadMusic » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:01 pm

Great write-ups Easy! And I have to say these forums are a refreshing change from others forums I've participated in. Everyone here so far seems eager to help and able to convey information without being glib.

Anyway, I thought I would include an article I found regarding the art of EQ that has a helpful chart at the bottom regarding various instruments and their general characteristics EQ-wise that I find helpful and use often. Of course, each guitar is different, so these are merely guidelines, but they get you off to a good start.

http://www.ethanwiner.com/equalizers.html
"Yes, so it was, everything came back, which had not been suffered and solved up to its end, the same pain was suffered over and over again." - Hermann Hesse (Siddhartha)

EasySleazy

Postby EasySleazy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:07 pm

That's a very helpful article for an introduction to the basics you posted! Thanx!
ffffffffff

ARIBAI

Re: Guide to Tone Pt 4 "Trans Amp and Treble Booster"

Postby ARIBAI » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:02 pm

I noticed that too...

treble booster works REALLY NICE if you use it right before the CAB (preferably the MATCHED CAB)

I also like to use the tube compressor... to add a creamy feel to the amp (works well with the screamer)

sometimes is best to add some sustain (because distortion "drowns" so fast in amp sims) I do that with the blue stomp compressor

for reverb: I dig the SPRING one, mostly because you can set it as moderate as you like

Oh and sometimes you need just a tiny bit more (or less) on treble, presence or bass... so I stick in one or two parametic EQs at the end of the chain

keep in mind that most of the sound depends on our very personal setup
our kind of guitar, pickup, how much noicy our CPU is,
PREAMP tone and level,...etc

fulitibi

Postby fulitibi » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:15 pm

Great tutorials, and very easy! Respect!

Lyonhard

Postby Lyonhard » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:11 am

Another great tutorial! :)

ARIBAI wrote:I noticed that too...
treble booster works REALLY NICE if you use it right before the CAB (preferably the MATCHED CAB)

Yeah! I noticed that Treble booster is (IMHO) more effective if you put it after the amp, before the cab (or impulse cab).

BrutalGuitar

Postby BrutalGuitar » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:27 am

Sorry For reviving a dead post but I had to say thank you for the tutorials it helped me a lot.
I used your basic setup and Demon Distortion Before Grat on clean in Cubase with the Impulse. It improves the sound so much that I couldn't stop playing.... I love this tone so much I really could sit here an play all day. Here's an audio clip of what it come out as. I'm playing the intro riff to Behemoth "Conquer All"

[ignore the sloppiness :P]

http://www.esnips.com/doc/ff5d407d-d07a ... b/Behemoth

P.S. THANKS AGAIN!!!

markolakicevic

Postby markolakicevic » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:59 pm

NICE NICE NICE

lingsu

Postby lingsu » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:00 am

seems a little difficult, but I'll keep practice everyday, thanks to the author, you've always done the best.

Trythistwo

Postby Trythistwo » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:48 am

That's a good idea.

slot online

Return to “Beginners”