Guide to Tone (yeah right...) Pt 1

Beginners is a dedicated subforum for newbies to receive helpful support.
joaquinotero
antispam: 6

Re: Guide to Tone (yeah right...) Pt 1

Postby joaquinotero » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:57 am

Ive noticed that environment plays a very important role to get a great tone. I recently switched to Linux and played through windows vst (wine) and I found that tone is miles away ahead compared to what I was getting under windows.

slowpick

Postby slowpick » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:04 pm

for a test, have duplicate projects/settings in reaper win/lin, and insert a percussion
media file, and render its output in each setup, then do a detailed
.wav analysis of the results. Import both into audacity, note the gain amounts
needed to normalize each file. They should differ by some margin, if you can hear that
one is better . Zoom in on a beat and compare the detail as the beat tails off.

etc etc with spectral, or other tools, other types of sound :)

you can also record the guitar sitting idle, with a noisy amp-sim patch,
duplicate settings all around, and analyze the noise floor in both setups.

joaquinotero

Postby joaquinotero » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:12 am

EasySleazy wrote:Except for the gain of the dry signal, it's tone that plays a major part. If it is bassy, then it is most likely that you'll be having a hard time taming the low end of the amp sims (it won't sound brutal in a good way, but it will sound muddy/thumping/boomy/undefined...all the bad stuff). Generally a balanced dry signal is preferred.

Assumption: You'll need a clean (gain-wise) and balanced (tone-wise) dry signal in order to get good sounds from amp sims.

That´s a big problem for me; I´ve recently read that using a buffer pedal could restore high end freqs in a signal chain when pedalboards are used; ¿A buffer pedal could help with my Lexicon Omega Interface?. Suposedly, my L.Omega has a HiZ input (theoretycally, adequate for guitar), but I hear how other amp presets has presence and brillance while my overall sound is muddy with the same presets.

eriklima

Postby eriklima » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:07 pm

For me, it was a bad idea to use my own small amplifier (Low gain and no overdrive boost) only to increase the volume to send the singal my direct box and then to my audio interface. The result was terrible!

So I decided to plug my guitar to leave the amplifier off and use this chain:

Guitar -> Direct Box -> Audio interface -> Digital audio workstation (Reaper, Pro Tools, Cubase, etc.) -> plugins

Another thing that help me improve my sound a little bit is to install apropriate drivers. ASIO4All works fine on my M-Audio Fast Track II audio interface and now I can use Amplitube 3 as a stand alone application.

fckykchy

Postby fckykchy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:17 am

hello at last i just installed my guitar rig ..
its my first time here..
my electric guitar has big feedbacks..
i need to palm all my string everytime ..
but there are still minimal noise...like hummmm...like bzzzz....
is there a way to remove this in guitar rig?

and sorry im not really expert in repairing guitar..
or can u give me some basic ideas how fix feedbacks
on my electric guitar..

thanks in advance!!!!.... :alien:

fckykchy

Postby fckykchy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:16 pm

now my guitar is fine now on GR...
i used the preset "GOD..."
when i do a palm mute chug strum..
the effect is not quite chuggy..

question: whats the best amp preset like Metallica, etc..?

well anyways here is my first attempt..
i used the preset"GOD ..."
http://soundcloud.com/fckykchy/hearts-b ... shit-intro

hope u can give me some better tips...

jtop8

Postby jtop8 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:16 pm

I dont think this is whats reccomended on here but i use Anvil as a preamp into Amplitube. Ill go into amplitube with pretty good distortion going and it makes amplitube alot more mnanagable as far as signal and it is crushing sound with some of the hi gains.

jorismak

Postby jorismak » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:03 am

Remember that every plugin has their own definition of "what a good incoming signal" is.
Amplitube for instance likes it as hot as possible.

If I peak close to 0 dBfs, amplitube's input level meter only hits to about 33% or something.
So that means if your signal is lower, you have the effect of trying to play with your volume control on the guitar at 75% or even lower.

After your signal is in your computer (digitized, on a track, whatever) and it's not peaking, from then on it's OK to boost it cleanly in volume before hitting an amp(sim) until you think it sounds good. Since DAW's operate in floating-point you can safely boost to _over_ 0 dbFs (there's no real clipping in floating point) with a simple volume plugin, or a free plugin ment for guitar-signal-boosting like AXP's CharBooster (that also has a function to apply subtle EQ on your DI guitar signal, like rolling of the bass a bit to get a more tighter distortion).

Putting a tubescreamer plugin in front with the level maxed out has the same effect ofcourse, but there are options that don't affect the tone (or put Anvil in it's clean channel in front to _Really_ color the sound of your guitar).

I toyed around with a DI recorded on my computer _together_ with the same take going into my cheap real JCA22h tube head. With Amplitube (with a JCA20h model and a JCA100h model, same preamp circuits) I tried to get the same tone, and I found out that with the gain on the same setting Amplitube required a good +/-8 to 9 db boost on the guitar signal (it was averaging at -12 dbFS RMS) to get the same level of gain as my real amp with the dials in the same position.
So I interpreted that as '+/- -3 dbFS RMS' into Amplitube in the digital world resembles roughly my Seymour Duncan Custom pickup in my cheap Epiphone Les Paul in the real world.

LePou's Lecto requires far less a hot (digital) input signal, it crunches / gains up way easier, but that also could be because of the amp model of course (I have no real Rectifier to compare it with :)).

eriklima

Postby eriklima » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:11 pm

In Amplitube, if you have a high volume input signal coming from your guitar or even your analogic guitar pedal BEFORE Amplitube, you need to use low Amplitube levels to achieve a good sound with some dynamic range.

Return to “Beginners”