Satchaholic

Re: How to use impulses

Postby Satchaholic » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:59 pm

nice to see such a quick response! lol

Alu
antispam: 6

Postby Alu » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:43 pm

I doubt that much guys use ProTools here, anyway KeFIR is a VST, there is no RTAS version, so you should try to use a VST to RTAS wrapper in order to use VSTs in ProTools
Official Site | Facebook Page
Released Plug-Ins: NRR-1 | TS-999 SubScreamer | The Anvil | SHB-1 | PTEq-1a | TSB-1 Tyrant Screamer | TPA-1 | NadIR | Emissary
Guitars: LTD Deluxe M-1000 | Ibanez MTM2 (D-Sonic + Air Norton)
Soundcard: M-Audio Profire 610
Monitors: ESI nEar 08 eXperience | AKG K141 Studio Headphones
Studio Software: Cubase 6 | Overloud BREVERB | PSP sQuad | Steven Slate Drums 3.5 Platinum | Toontrack SD2.0 | URS Channel Strip Pro | VescoFx Provoker | Voxengo Curve Eq | Voxengo Elephant 3
Studio Productions: Energy Of The Elements - Heavenly Force (EP, 2009) | Injury Broadcast - Mosh Test Dummies (EP, 2010) | Subhuman - Promo 2011 | Spreadin' Fear - Mankind (FL, 2012)

Satchaholic

Postby Satchaholic » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:51 pm

ah thanks for clearing that up for me. I mean I just kind of got a bunch of this stuff thrown at me. Protools is such a big program that it sometimes is overwhelming. Especially when im basically using it as a practice amp. haha

SteppenWolf32

Postby SteppenWolf32 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:21 pm

Ok this may be considered somewhat of a bump, but what exactly is RIR? That is something exclusive to Revalver, am I right? I basically read through the entire thread and all of this information has me feeling kind of light headed. I'm not sure I fully understand. So, if I had Revalver and Amplitube Metal, I can essentially open ATmetal WITHIN Revalver? And once I have done that, I can then disable the cab/load my impulse all still within revalver? Also, where do you get these impulses from? And finally, are there different impulses specific to different effects? (reverb impulse? EQ impulse). I'm still not really sure what exactly the impulse is doing to the signal. Put it in kindergarten terms for me.

Thank you for all the information provided thus far, as well as your time spent helping all of us otherwise oblivious persons :D

SteppenWolf32

Postby SteppenWolf32 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:12 pm

Ah I think I've figured it out. Reaper is heaven sent <3. Anyway I downloaded some of Brohymn's impulse wavs and was messing around with them, the Mesa ones in particular. Its pretty cool what these little things can do. Opens up a whole 'nother door to an entirely new kind of "tone land". For those who maybe are having trouble with figuring this stuff out or have given up, I have posted 2 little comparison mp3s on esnips. That way you can hear the difference and see if its something worth spending time trying to get working (I would say it was time well spent for me).

Anyway, thanks again, to these forums in general. Tone would be so boring without them!

Forum link: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=6256

alexv3

Postby alexv3 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:42 pm

ahh Im new to this world of impulses but I was intrigued to try it, but im not sure if I did it properly. I use a pod xt live connected to the pc via USB and I bypassed the cabinet simulation on that, I did a short recording clip on cubase and checked how it sounded- fizzy and harsh. So i loaded the brohyme's orange 2 impulse which seeemed to be quite popular.Set the mix to 100 % and left the gain and length at the current values, I then played it back. It sounded different definetly, it cured the fizzyness and distortion, but I felt that the sound was being blanketed or drowned out a bit.
I turned the cab simulation on my pod xt live again and did the same recording as I usually would without impulses. This time there were more high frequencies and a little bit more gain than I would like but the tone sounded more alive, its hard to describe but I hope you know what I mean.
I did try other impulses but the result was similar

So basically I liked the way the impulse reduces the fizzyness and set the gain just right but it didnt sound lively enough as opposed to the usual sound. Does anyone have an idea what I might be doing wrong?
Last edited by alexv3 on Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pickasso

Postby Pickasso » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:34 pm

Alexv3,

What program are you using as an impulse loader? It sounds like you are using podfarm or gearbox as your ampsim.

alexv3

Postby alexv3 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:07 pm

Thanks for responding!

Yes im using gearbox for the ampsim and im using KeFIR to load the impulses, I also tried Boogex but I get the same results.

Pickasso

Postby Pickasso » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:09 pm

Hello Alexv3,

You might not be doing anything wrong! The cab impulses in gearbox are good, hard to beat. I don't have an xt, I have the toneport gx, so there could be some difference there, but here is a quick test I did:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/1156da5c-867c-43e7-b698-4a0c28ea69cb/Gearbox-test-2
Left side= Gearbox w/cab
Right side= Gearbox no cab, Boogex with orange 2 imp, then IVb Laney impulse

One thing you might try (if you haven't) in Boogex: move the sliders in the graphical display! Just moving the green one to the right a little sometimes does the trick. (you can hear it moving in the test file-right channel) Kefir is more limited in that respect. (no tone controls)
If you're interested I attached the gearbox preset & the impulse I made (below)

And there's more hope. Check these other FREE programs out:
Our Cabinet http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3756&hilit=our+cabinet
Excellent- lot's of tweaking possible.

Soon to be released LeCab: http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6209&hilit=lecab
Check it out when it's released! Should be great.

Acmebargig's cab enhancer: http://www.acmebargig.com/cabenhancer/
Very cool stuff at that site.

Good Luck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

alexv3

Postby alexv3 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:58 pm

Hey Pickasso, thanks alot for responding.

I enjoyed your demo and the tone was really good, Yes I think the the problem was within the impulse itself, I guess i'm just not a fan of the orange 2 cab, ill try out the laney and see what happens, and the OUR cabinet impulse loader aswell and do some tweaking. I tried loading your tone but it didnt work for me, I guesss its not supported with pod xt live but don't worry its fine.

Once again thanks alot

Rez_brp

Postby Rez_brp » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:06 pm

Good thread!

I tried impulse cab sims a while back and was not sold at all but reading through this lot has made me think again. Something to try over the weekend! Thanks guys.... :D

Cormega

Postby Cormega » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:20 pm

Yeah Alu, Great Thread! I've never taking the time to learn and experiment with IRs, but after reading your OP, I sat down and figured it out. I've drank the kool-aid, I am forever a fan of IRs.
I used Perfect Space (cause it came with Sonar) and I figured it should be amazing right? Nothing but lag, and I didn't like the tone I was getting, so I try KeFir and WOW!!! Incredible tone, Zero Lag!! Thanks again Alu :arrow:

deeman

Postby deeman » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:26 pm

How about a guide in Voxengo Prestine Space?

/Deeman

OderWat

Postby OderWat » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:13 am

@Alu: The OP could be a bit updated :)

Esp. the "First of all, the only amp sim that actually supports external impulses is Revalver MKII." (and there is MKIII too) ...

Thats not true anymore as "Overloud TH1" (dunno if Triode also) has an (dual) impulse loader for external impulses and you definitely should mention LePou's ampsims and LeCab ...

You can also list how to switch of the cabs in POD Farm (plugin) as this is easily possible too.

- Hans

TwitchyTriggeR

Postby TwitchyTriggeR » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:26 pm

noob issue

how the hell do i open KeFIR?

MetalGod

Postby MetalGod » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:25 pm

like any other plugin/insert/fx/I don't know how else to call it
depending on which DAW you're using.
the same way you open your amp sim plugin, just bypass (or close/remove) the cab and load KeFIR in the next fx slot under.
dude, read the tutorial!!! :)

robertkoa

Postby robertkoa » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:09 pm

Thanks for info- I now use a POD XT JUST for the cab sims and use both an ADA MP1 and H@K tube guitar preamp so I don't need amp modeling- ONLY Cab modeling or Cab Impulses- when I actually start recording- how much better will the newer software Impulses be compared to the POD XT cabs?( surprisingly -with a good guitar tube preamp the POD XT cabs are capable of album quality tones-).

kimthebutcher

Postby kimthebutcher » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:43 am

Hi all,

Just wondering, i've been messing with the Catharsis (beautiful!!) impulse files for a few days now, attempting to replicate some of the killer tones you guys posted around this site, and my rigs sound SHITE in comparison. I've noticed a couple of guys have posted details on using more than one impulse for a track, but when i do this, either as an insert on a track (for instance, loading a second example of s-preshigh through Boogex), i just get a "re-cabbed" tone (hard to explain, but basically no tonality at all). By no means am i an engineer, but i'm really interested in this and wish to start work on some songs to upload to my site...

Is it really that big a deal sending a signal to 2 impulse files?? Will that help with me getting a nice, definitive metal tone?? If so - how are you loading these impulses to a track?? i have tried using ONLY TSS+SoloC as insert effects, then seding the track to ONE group track that has ONE impulse, then likewise with a second impulse file - the below song are from my best efforts!
I'm using Cubase SX3 with SD2, Trillian as a bass sim....

My latest song, "Hell is Other People" is available at http://www.reverbnation.com/tortoisecult - but you will see what i mean about the tone....it sounds like plastic (despite my best recording/mixing efforts)

My mixes are coming out terrible! Anything i lay on my mixed SD2 rig (metal foundry now that i have it!!!) sounds like shit, no definition, no depth, no warmth.

I wanna sound like you guys - fucking pro!!!

i know i will get a cool response cos this site KICKS ARSE!!

Peace and brutal technical death metal

hardwire666

Postby hardwire666 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:19 pm

I checked out "Hell is other People" and it Doesn't sound bad. I think the over all tone's are there it just needs that polish. Get your levels under control. Your rhythm guitars are WAY to loud, and drowned out the rest of the instruments. They could also use some EQ, and compression. There was a lot of resonance in the low end on some of the palm mutes. I would work on correcting that.

For the drums the kick, snare, and toms are to far back int the mix. Meaning they are to quiet, and don't have enough presence in the song. This might also be solved by lowering the rhythm guitars as well.

I like the tone though, good job.
"...it will be so dirty that if we move in next door to you, your lawn will die." ~Lemmy

kimthebutcher

Postby kimthebutcher » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:20 am

Hey - thanks man! Thanks for checking the tune out, and your cool feedback!

I've actually started the project again, last night was remixing the drums at a bit of a lower level so i have some more headroom to "breathe", tonight the bass and some backing axe tracks i think....

I've started using the 8505 in the signal chain also - it seems to give me a little more definition and kinda cleans the gain on the channel too, so we'll see how we go with some quad-tracking!

Looking back at the project, i actually did most of my mixing in the master bus with T-Racks3!! Once i had bypassed that the mix was horrible!

Metal Foundry is really hard to mix though as you get a good level mix and it just peaks the whole time, so hard to use as a "baseline" if that makes sense - i am a total amateur however..

Thanks so much for the input and feedback Hardwire - truly appreciated mate

Kim

phampharm

Postby phampharm » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:53 pm

Hi guys, anyone here know how to get it to work with Amplitube Metal? Also, I can't afford buy any DAW right now so does anyone know of any free ones i can use to load the impulses. I currently have one right now called Cantibile Lite and the Voxengo Boogex vst. I also downloaded an impulse pack from Alu. This is where I am stuck i can't seem to get anything to work.

Thanks in advance.

kimthebutcher

Postby kimthebutcher » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:34 am

Hi phampharm,

Mate, i've been using KeFIR lately - it sounds really nice with the right impulses, and you can add another instance after the first in your signal chain, and mix between the 2 (i'm really amateur but i have got some nice sounds with this tool)..Search here in the forums for KeFIR and you'll find heaps of cool info from members..

Boogex is pretty good, but i found it a little hard to get right..
Recabinet is pretty good also, and i think you can demo it...
There's also a impulse loader from LePou i think, can't think of what it's called too (maybe LeCAB, something like that), but i may be wrong...

Good luck dude!
Kim

markyt1977

Postby markyt1977 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:56 pm

Hope this helps some people out
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kimthebutcher

Postby kimthebutcher » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:47 pm

Great post markyt1977 - thanks for the help dude and for clarifying my post a little :P

Rock and roll all!!

markyt1977

Postby markyt1977 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:21 pm

well I have to say these impulses have improved all the amp sims I've tried, even my amplitube 2 live which was horrible sounding to me

does anyone have a suggestion of a good clean sound imp, I have bunches to sort through

Return to “Speaker Cabinet Impulses”