How to use impulses

Speaker Cabinet Impulses
Alu
antispam: 6

Re: How to use impulses

Postby Alu » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:07 pm

Of course it is possible!
GR3 must have an impedance load emulation, so, theorically, it should be the best solution...
I didn't know about this when I wrote the arcticle, so...
Try both and use what sounds best to your ears!
Official Site | Facebook Page
Released Plug-Ins: NRR-1 | TS-999 SubScreamer | The Anvil | SHB-1 | PTEq-1a | TSB-1 Tyrant Screamer | TPA-1 | NadIR | Emissary
Guitars: LTD Deluxe M-1000 | Ibanez MTM2 (D-Sonic + Air Norton)
Soundcard: M-Audio Profire 610
Monitors: ESI nEar 08 eXperience | AKG K141 Studio Headphones
Studio Software: Cubase 6 | Overloud BREVERB | PSP sQuad | Steven Slate Drums 3.5 Platinum | Toontrack SD2.0 | URS Channel Strip Pro | VescoFx Provoker | Voxengo Curve Eq | Voxengo Elephant 3
Studio Productions: Energy Of The Elements - Heavenly Force (EP, 2009) | Injury Broadcast - Mosh Test Dummies (EP, 2010) | Subhuman - Promo 2011 | Spreadin' Fear - Mankind (FL, 2012)

micciomiao

Postby micciomiao » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:18 pm

Thanks man.. maybe i can trust my ears :) it seems more powerful to me this way

alex103188

Postby alex103188 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:25 am

so I just got GR3 and am using it with GarageBand on a macbook pro...

I just have a couple questions about this since I just picked up on impulses.

Are they basically a way to get a better tone than what GR3 can simulate or something? And is an extra program running at the same time?

Also, is it doable to record into Garageband while still using the impulse w/ GR3??

I apologize for the noooobish questions man, I'm just getting into the whole direct input recording methods ever since I got this macbook and would like to get some solid metal tones! GR3 doesn't exactly have the greatest. but then again I've really only made a chain with the distortion/head/amp so far..

alex103188

Postby alex103188 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:46 am

alex103188 wrote:so I just got GR3 and am using it with GarageBand on a macbook pro...

I just have a couple questions about this since I just picked up on impulses.

Are they basically a way to get a better tone than what GR3 can simulate or something? And is an extra program running at the same time?

Also, is it doable to record into Garageband while still using the impulse w/ GR3??

I apologize for the noooobish questions man, I'm just getting into the whole direct input recording methods ever since I got this macbook and would like to get some solid metal tones! GR3 doesn't exactly have the greatest. but then again I've really only made a chain with the distortion/head/amp so far..

I just realized that garageband doesn't support VSTs.... Probably will be switching to Pro Tools.

guitarob
antispam: 0

Postby guitarob » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:07 pm

I was wondering if any of the waves plugins (IR-1, IR-360, etc) can be used to load speaker cabinet impulses? i think those plugins are mainly used for reverbation but who knows
LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Fender Standard Telecaster
Italia Mondial
Squier Standard Jazz bass
Alesis DM5 Pro Kit
Behringer FCB1010
Line 6 Toneport KB37 / Lexicon Alpha USB

Aphyreal

Postby Aphyreal » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:00 am

alex103188 wrote:so I just got GR3 and am using it with GarageBand on a macbook pro...

I'm using Amplitube Live/Metal in garageband. There is a freeware audiounit, called LAConvolver, which allows you to use impulses in garageband: http://audio.lernvall.com/

Load LAConvolver in the slot beneath GR3, that should do the trick (I guess).

BTW: I'm trying to get a good tone, too. Harder than I thought... damn that noise in the gain sounds of Amplitube :evil:

Ghost219

Postby Ghost219 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:46 am

first time post and complete idiot noob here. how do i use this with Guitar Rig 3 exactly? i've no idea how to load the .dll file into it. i have an idea with guitar rig INSIDE sonar 8 producer... could someone please help?

Baz

Postby Baz » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:26 am

so you use this live?

junk_man32

Postby junk_man32 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:44 pm

Baz wrote:so you use this live?

how do i play guitar rig live in my daw, it doesnt seem to be picking up the guitar signals, i have all the correct audio settings and everything. as a standalone it works, but as a vst it is being very stupid!

rezidue

Postby rezidue » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:17 pm

junk_man32 wrote:

how do i play guitar rig live in my daw, it doesnt seem to be picking up the guitar signals, i have all the correct audio settings and everything. as a standalone it works, but as a vst it is being very stupid!

You need to route the input your guitar is on through the VST plugin. Which host are you using? If you are looking in guitar rig and show no input at all when you hit a note my bet is that the input channel isn't setup properly for that effect. You really should be able to monitor your line in directly on the channel even without guitar rig chained. I'm probably confusing you more so if you mention the host it will be easier to point you in the right direction.

junk_man32

Postby junk_man32 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:58 pm

rezidue wrote:
junk_man32 wrote:

You need to route the input your guitar is on through the VST plugin. Which host are you using? If you are looking in guitar rig and show no input at all when you hit a note my bet is that the input channel isn't setup properly for that effect. You really should be able to monitor your line in directly on the channel even without guitar rig chained. I'm probably confusing you more so if you mention the host it will be easier to point you in the right direction.

acid pro im using, i hate ableton live (currently using it cuz it workss with guitar rig), ableton takes up too much cpu and the interface is weird, i wanna use acid cuz i like the interface much better!

rezidue

Postby rezidue » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:09 pm

junk_man32 wrote:acid pro im using, i hate ableton live (currently using it cuz it workss with guitar rig), ableton takes up too much cpu and the interface is weird, i wanna use acid cuz i like the interface much better!

I'm a bit confused now. Are you say guitar rig works in ableton live? Is your question just how to get it working in acid? Are you running a version that supports VST? Have you been able to create an audio channel and record live from your guitar without having the vst on the channel? If you can't do that then ACID isn't setup to record from your mic inputs. I'd have to grab a copy to check out how you would do this, have you gone through the manual?

I'd also suggest checking out Reaper.

rezidue

Postby rezidue » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:10 pm

Also this is better posted in the Guitar Rig forum as your question has nothing to do with impulses and the moderators would probably appreciate it.

rezidue

Postby rezidue » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:33 am

It figures that you already had another thread going...

Maybe this thread should have everything non relevant removed and locked?

pimij26

Postby pimij26 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:50 pm

I may be way off base but has anyone tried doing this SIR http://www.knufinke.de/sir/sir1.html

It loads IR files - that is what its designed for. Not sure if it will work - but there are some amp cabinets in the IR collections already.

It works amazingly well for reverbs though - and there are some nice collections out there.

Thanks

Jim

hugoazevedo

Postby hugoazevedo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:30 am

Hi!

Quick question: Most GR3 presets I have, have other effects after the cab-sim. Am I right in thinking that to use impulses I will have to have 2 instances of GR3 (one for all sims before impulse and another for all sims after impulse) in order to keep the signal chain order, or does it not matter and I can just switch off the cabsim and plonk the impulse right after the GR3 instance?

I use Cubase 3 SX... might be relevant.

Many thanks!

Alu

Postby Alu » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:19 pm

For compressors you should load another GR instance after the cab, for ambience effects instead, you should be able to just switch the cab off without any big problem, I think...
Released Plug-Ins: NRR-1 | TS-999 SubScreamer | The Anvil | SHB-1 | PTEq-1a | TSB-1 Tyrant Screamer | TPA-1 | NadIR | Emissary
Studio Software: Cubase 6 | Overloud BREVERB | PSP sQuad | Steven Slate Drums 3.5 Platinum | Toontrack SD2.0 | URS Channel Strip Pro | VescoFx Provoker | Voxengo Curve Eq | Voxengo Elephant 3
Studio Productions: Energy Of The Elements - Heavenly Force (EP, 2009) | Injury Broadcast - Mosh Test Dummies (EP, 2010) | Subhuman - Promo 2011 | Spreadin' Fear - Mankind (FL, 2012)

hugoazevedo

Postby hugoazevedo » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:04 pm

Thanks, Alu! That's what I thought!
And thank you for the simple yet awesome tutorial!
So much half explained info out there that just assumes you've done lots of "impulsing" (I'm introducing a new term :lol: ) before you even start reading!

Anyway, gonna have a good ol' play tonight! Its gonna be huge! :D

Cheers!

maxprs

Postby maxprs » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:09 am

Hi all,
a very quick question: is it possible to use impulse response on Waves GTR3 standalone, so without a host application?
I've read somewhere that it allows to load IR's, but I can't understand how (if true)

Thanks, also for this great thread

Max

strangedogs

Postby strangedogs » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:21 am

I have the Standalone too but I don't see anywhere to load an impulse into it - you can turn the cab off or select NO CAB but nowhere to load anything. That's why I usually use it within a DAW. I know Revalver and TH1 allows you to in their standalone apps. I hardly ever run standalones as I love the ability to load impulses in all the sims I use and I have loads of great plug-ins for my DAW programs...
"well boys there's 1 more thing you're gonna need to make it in Rock & Roll besides all those Guitars and Amps and Drums and stuff - it's called A SONG..."

maxprs

Postby maxprs » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:05 am

mmmhhh... now it's clear that I can't...
What DAW is suggested, when you're looking for a simple one, possibly free and not overloading the CPU?

Thx

Max

maxprs

Postby maxprs » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:49 pm

Ok, no suggestions but I've found one.
One more question: I'm interested in trying softube amp room; I know it has mic and cab, so did anyone try to use it with IR's? I think that this is only possible if the mic and cab can be disabled, am I right?

Max

dbsub9

Postby dbsub9 » Fri May 29, 2009 6:59 pm

Please just let me know if I'm right. I'm using Revalver. Now, if I load an Impulse (petrucci lead for an example) into the RIR I'm basically just using that cab setup to use with a revalver head?

Thanks

Alu

Postby Alu » Fri May 29, 2009 7:27 pm

Yes

Satchaholic

Postby Satchaholic » Sun May 31, 2009 1:40 pm

ok Im trying to use KeFIR with Protools 7 and also with Amplitube Metal. I downloaded the setup file for KeFIR and it installed into the plugins folder.. Yet when I try to load it in protools I cant find it anywhere!! Im curious to hear what these impulses sound like but struggling in the process. Am I doing something wrong?

Return to “Speaker Cabinet Impulses”