How to use impulses

Speaker Cabinet Impulses
Brohymn
Site Admin
antispam: 0

Re: How to use impulses

Postby Brohymn » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:03 pm

To use preamp, compressors and other impulses you need to use Tritone digital Colortone PRo. (Use it after you signal chain...You dont need to bypass anything..... its just an EQ just say....)

To speaker cabinets impulses you can use boogex.

cheers

seyd

Postby seyd » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:59 pm

Thx alot Alu, I guess I'll give impulses another go since you wrote such a nice guide =]
voxx likes tits and ass, he told me!!!11
http://www.vildhjarta.com
http://www.myspace.com/vildhjarta - my band.
http://www.myspace.com/texasholdus - sideproject.

Psyleid

Postby Psyleid » Mon May 05, 2008 12:50 pm

Thanks for writing this, helped me alot.

midKnight1

Postby midKnight1 » Fri May 09, 2008 3:19 am

Hey everyone...

I'm brand new to impulses, and I'm having a bit of trouble..

I'm currently using Sonar 7 PE, GR3, and I have both kefir and boogex, I believe I have the chain setup correctly, (I have gr3 loaded and the cab bypassed, then I have boogex after it with an impulse loaded) and when I have them both activated, I hear a terrible "fluttering" type sound when I play. If I turn off boogex and just use gr3 (either with or without the cabinet) it sounds fine.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
-thanks!
-Nick

Alu
antispam: 6

Postby Alu » Fri May 09, 2008 7:10 am

With GR3, if you use external impulses, you have to CLOSE the cab, not just switch it off, or it will still change your sound!
Btw, it's better to post a sound sample, so we can hear the problem!

Cheers
Official Site | Facebook Page
Released Plug-Ins: NRR-1 | TS-999 SubScreamer | The Anvil | SHB-1 | PTEq-1a | TSB-1 Tyrant Screamer | TPA-1 | NadIR | Emissary
Guitars: LTD Deluxe M-1000 | Ibanez MTM2 (D-Sonic + Air Norton)
Soundcard: M-Audio Profire 610
Monitors: ESI nEar 08 eXperience | AKG K141 Studio Headphones
Studio Software: Cubase 6 | Overloud BREVERB | PSP sQuad | Steven Slate Drums 3.5 Platinum | Toontrack SD2.0 | URS Channel Strip Pro | VescoFx Provoker | Voxengo Curve Eq | Voxengo Elephant 3
Studio Productions: Energy Of The Elements - Heavenly Force (EP, 2009) | Injury Broadcast - Mosh Test Dummies (EP, 2010) | Subhuman - Promo 2011 | Spreadin' Fear - Mankind (FL, 2012)

DeathDealer

Postby DeathDealer » Sat May 10, 2008 7:25 pm

Nikko wrote:you can run Wagner Sharp, or Dirthead, or Amplitube, or Guitar Rig, or whatever you want, within Revalver and utilize the impulses to get your sound live, without a DAW. :D

you know, that idea never crossed my mind...i know the feature is there, but it just never dawned upon me to use it. what a dumbass :o

i was coming here looking for a new plugin to use cause i was getting tired of loading Revalver to hog cpu only for the cab sim with another program on top in a DAW
what you gotta do is make sweet love at first, then when she least suspects it BAM!! angry sex, couple punches in the head, tug on that hair. then call it a night

janarvid

Postby janarvid » Fri May 30, 2008 1:29 pm

I use Kefir.

Some impulses has too much "silence" or latency (don't quite know how to say it) in the beginning of the impulse for realtime playing.

I have tried cutting off some silence in the beginning with a wave editor, and it seems to work.

My question is: Does anyone know how much silence there has to be in an impulse file?

Alu

Postby Alu » Fri May 30, 2008 2:17 pm

Theorically 0, you should cut the silence right where the waveform begins...
A few ms work good (from 1 to 10 for example), but different silence lenght on different impulses can easily bring on phase cancellation
Released Plug-Ins: NRR-1 | TS-999 SubScreamer | The Anvil | SHB-1 | PTEq-1a | TSB-1 Tyrant Screamer | TPA-1 | NadIR | Emissary
Studio Software: Cubase 6 | Overloud BREVERB | PSP sQuad | Steven Slate Drums 3.5 Platinum | Toontrack SD2.0 | URS Channel Strip Pro | VescoFx Provoker | Voxengo Curve Eq | Voxengo Elephant 3
Studio Productions: Energy Of The Elements - Heavenly Force (EP, 2009) | Injury Broadcast - Mosh Test Dummies (EP, 2010) | Subhuman - Promo 2011 | Spreadin' Fear - Mankind (FL, 2012)

The Unknown

Postby The Unknown » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:12 am

Alu wrote:
First of all, the only amp sim that actually supports external impulses is Revalver MKII.
So, if you want to use impulses on a standalone application, the only way is to use Revalver MKII.
Just load the RIR Module (under the cabinet section), click on "load" and then select the impulse response you want to use.

i followed what you said here but i don`t hear any sound,i did a screen recorder of my desktop you can watch the video here... http://www.screencast.com/t/R8VsWsWZ so please tell me what im doing wrong.

mauro_p

Postby mauro_p » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:57 am

Even though Alu's instructions are very precise, I'm guessing you are just not that familiar with ampsims.
Read the first post a little better. The impulse you're trying to load simulates a cabinet. Put an AMP simulation before the cabinet.

Cheers :cheers:
Mauro

alkimera

Postby alkimera » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:52 pm

Hi !
Are there any programs to run the IR in Pro Tools ??? I mean, RTAS no VST. I can use the wrapper but this introduce latency
Thanks for your help !

alkimera

Postby alkimera » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:12 am

nevermind... just found a two :)

mauro_p

Postby mauro_p » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:24 am

Wich are those? It could be very useful other users.

alkimera

Postby alkimera » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:22 am

I really like TL Space .... it has a bounch of parameters to twick... is the best that I found.

Junior Paiz

Postby Junior Paiz » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:57 am

Quick question: Aradaz already has a cabinet ? it is possible to detach it's cabinet if it already has one ? Thx guys !

Alu

Postby Alu » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:02 pm

There is a switch on the right to turn off the cabinet... just try...

aaron_johnson

Postby aaron_johnson » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:12 pm

Hello everyone,

So far all of the information I've found on this board has been really helpful and I really appreciate ALU posting this tutorial!

I'm new to home recording and am using Pro Tools M-Powered w/ an M Audio 2626 Firewire interface. I've always just used Amplitube2 in the past but have never been satisfied with the sound I can get from the amp/cab sims there.

I'm a little confused about the basic use of impulses as cab sims. I understand the concept of the chain, but if I'm in Pro Tools, running Amplitube2 as my first plugin, am I just supposed to use Revalver as the second plugin in the chain? Is Revalver supported by Pro Tools? Is that all I would need, or are there other programs/plugins necessary?

Any help anyone could provide to help me understand this would be greatly appreciated.

-aaron j.

EasySleazy

Postby EasySleazy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:01 pm

Generally you can use everything, all these amp sims, just like you setup a chain with hardware stuff (real amps, real stompboxes, real cabinets etc). For example, if I'm drunk, I can set up a chain with these plug ins: TSS (tubescreamer plug in)-----> ATmetal (only the amp is on, everything else is switched off)------>Guitar Rig 2 (I have only the cab simulation on....O M G)------>Revalver III (only delay and compressor).

If you wanna use impulses you don't have to use Revalver to load them. There are many plug ins, some are free others are not, that use impulses. I use Voxengo Pristine Space (it's fucking great because you can use two or more impulses simultaneously, like using two or more different cabinets in parallel connection=good metal tone). There are others too, Kefir, Voxengo Boogex, I don't remember others.

So you put Amplitube first in the chain (the amp is on the Cab is OFF), then you load any plug in that supports impulse use after Amplitube. If you only have Revalver, put it after Ampiltube and just load the RIR module. Hit the input and output "learn" buttons to adjust your input output volume.

I don't know if Revalver is supported by Pro tools.
ffffffffff

aaron_johnson

Postby aaron_johnson » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:24 pm

Awesome, thanks!! As is probably quite evident I'm still really green at this so it's necessary to blatantly spell things out for me like this, lol. I appreciate the help!

EasySleazy wrote:Generally you can use everything, all these amp sims, just like you setup a chain with hardware stuff (real amps, real stompboxes, real cabinets etc). For example, if I'm drunk, I can set up a chain with these plug ins: TSS (tubescreamer plug in)-----> ATmetal (only the amp is on, everything else is switched off)------>Guitar Rig 2 (I have only the cab simulation on....O M G)------>Revalver III (only delay and compressor).

If you wanna use impulses you don't have to use Revalver to load them. There are many plug ins, some are free others are not, that use impulses. I use Voxengo Pristine Space (it's fucking great because you can use two or more impulses simultaneously, like using two or more different cabinets in parallel connection=good metal tone). There are others too, Kefir, Voxengo Boogex, I don't remember others.

So you put Amplitube first in the chain (the amp is on the Cab is OFF), then you load any plug in that supports impulse use after Amplitube. If you only have Revalver, put it after Ampiltube and just load the RIR module. Hit the input and output "learn" buttons to adjust your input output volume.

I don't know if Revalver is supported by Pro tools.

EasySleazy

Postby EasySleazy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:33 pm

No problem, btw the "if I'm drunk" and the "O M G" went to the fact that the Guitar Rig cab simulation is the definition of crap! :lol:
ffffffffff

John DC

Postby John DC » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:41 pm

Any impulse out there for Mac users? I'm a bit of a noob here. Thanks

majeliss

Postby majeliss » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:41 am

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you Alu.

Blessed be.

darkknight

Postby darkknight » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:07 am

this is great - this site is fantastic. what a resource.

I've got pristine space and it makes almost any amp sim sound half-decent - i've just used one of guitarhack's impulses with waves gtr on a lead outro - and it saved the day.

people who trash amp sims are ignorant - they don't realize the power of impulses.

Thanks everyone here - what a community. I'm new to guitar but i'm writing songs and I don't even own an amp. I've got cheapo ibanez and peavey guitars - they sound great thanks to this site.

THANK YOU!

grimothy

Postby grimothy » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:40 am

I'm not sure if this has been said, but I'm not seeing it, and I think I'm being incredibly dense about this. With the keFIR impulse plug-in, I have running through Ableton at the moment alongside Guitar Rig 3, what exactly .wav file am I supposed to be loading? This is the thing that's throwing me. As is evident, I know nothing about this!

*edit - no worries, I've sorted it now!

micciomiao

Postby micciomiao » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:07 pm

Hey Alu, this is Mike!

You told, that in GR3 it is best to completely remove the cabinets (not just turn them off), when using external cabinets..

To be honest i get the best sounds out of it, by just switching it off and use the impulse after it..

What do you think? is this possible?

Return to “Speaker Cabinet Impulses”