How to use impulses

Speaker Cabinet Impulses
MetalmcBeef
antispam: 6

Re: How to use impulses

Postby MetalmcBeef » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:37 pm

Ask and ye shall recieve, good sir!
I got impulses to sound good when using LePou's plugins (I saw you guys raving over it on this forum last night!), which made me very happy. However they seem to crash Sonar whenever I want to do something like, say, clone a track or even SAVE, so that's a problem as well :o

I'm thinking of switching to Reaper since I hear so many good things about it from so many people, but I figured I might as well upload this stuff and see if any of you brilliant folk know how to MAKE THIS WORK. Also, you may want to turn your volume down a bit. This gets really ugly about halfway through.

I used fearcomplexmetal's Amplitube preset at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3202762/themetal.at3p (for comparison purposes). First regularily through Amplitube, and then in the second half of the sound-clip, with the cab bypassed and KeFIR activated with a GuitarHack impulse at 100% Mix.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alu

Postby Alu » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:08 pm

Sounds clearly like KeFIR is not processing the signal, also, the stereo image gets weird at the same time, which leads me to think it is a routing issue (wrong processing mode and wrong channel selection).

Put your amp sim on a MONO track and KeFIR too. Also, I don't remember, but KeFIR should have a 1 channel and a 2 channels (stereo) version, you should use the 1 channel version since the track is mono.
In case you only have the 2 channels version, switch the "L" button ON and see what happens.

If you still have issues and can't figure out the problem, consider switching to Voxengo Boogex, I'll tell you how to set it up to get the most transparent sound possible (although it's written on the first post of this thread).

Also, on Amplitube, instead of switch the Bypass ON on the cabinet section, select "Cabinet Global Bypass" on the preferences panel. I don't remember very well, but a user said once that the Bypass button on the cabinet section is not completely transparent. I've never verified though.

Let me know.
Official Site | Facebook Page
Released Plug-Ins: NRR-1 | TS-999 SubScreamer | The Anvil | SHB-1 | PTEq-1a | TSB-1 Tyrant Screamer | TPA-1 | NadIR | Emissary
Guitars: LTD Deluxe M-1000 | Ibanez MTM2 (D-Sonic + Air Norton)
Soundcard: M-Audio Profire 610
Monitors: ESI nEar 08 eXperience | AKG K141 Studio Headphones
Studio Software: Cubase 6 | Overloud BREVERB | PSP sQuad | Steven Slate Drums 3.5 Platinum | Toontrack SD2.0 | URS Channel Strip Pro | VescoFx Provoker | Voxengo Curve Eq | Voxengo Elephant 3
Studio Productions: Energy Of The Elements - Heavenly Force (EP, 2009) | Injury Broadcast - Mosh Test Dummies (EP, 2010) | Subhuman - Promo 2011 | Spreadin' Fear - Mankind (FL, 2012)

MetalmcBeef

Postby MetalmcBeef » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:02 pm

Thanks Alu! It still doesn't work, BUT - interestingly enough, I did get it to work with LeCab. Not entirely sure why, but I am quite pleased that it turned out like that. That just leaves the problem of Sonar crashing everytime I try to do anything with LePou's stuff involved, hahah. Reaper surely doesn't have that problem, does it?

zigna

Postby zigna » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:10 pm

I'm searching for a MAC plugin that can manage 2 or more cabinet impulses simultaneously.
What have I to buy? I know there's plenty of these plugins for PC...But I'm on MAC, and I need to mix 2 or more cabinet impulses, 'cause I noticed that it really improves the tone of the amp sim.

strangedogs
antispam: 0

Postby strangedogs » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:21 am

I use Macs too - good luck... if LePou will port his LeCab2 over to Mac we'll have one then.
"well boys there's 1 more thing you're gonna need to make it in Rock & Roll besides all those Guitars and Amps and Drums and stuff - it's called A SONG..."

saslam101

Postby saslam101 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:58 pm

Hello, quick question:

I downloaded keFIR..... But I can't get it to open in FL Studio 9...... :( Any suggestions?

pillboxhat

Postby pillboxhat » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:29 am

I've been reading a lot about impulses but I've only listened to examples involving high gain (metal) amps. Are impulses not as impactful on other amps? That probably sounds redundant since GR 4 and AT3 have good clean amps to begin with. Thanks in advance.

pillboxhat

Postby pillboxhat » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:12 am

pillboxhat wrote:I've been reading a lot about impulses but I've only listened to examples involving high gain (metal) amps. Are impulses not as impactful on other amps? That probably sounds redundant since GR 4 and AT3 have good clean amps to begin with. Thanks in advance.

2nd time's a charm ..

justinpartridge

Re: How to use impulses - mac osx Logic 8

Postby justinpartridge » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:26 am

Ok I was looking everywhere for an easy to use HOW to and so after months of trying to figure it out and get it working it turned out SUPER easy!

Here is a step by step which any one should be able to follow....

I've broken this into 3 steps, simple as A.B.C:
A. installing the impulse loader
B. installing the impulses
C. using the impulses

Section A>
1. Goto: http://audio.lernvall.com/ and download LAConvolver.
Or just click this: http://download.cnet.com/LAConvolver/3000-2170_4-142315.html?tag=mncol;1

2. open your finder. open the following folder: /library/audio/Plug-Ins/Components

3. Unzip the LAconvolver .zip file you downloaded and open the folder. right click and copy the file name: LAConvolver.component

4. Paste this file in to your: /library/audio/Plug-Ins/Components folder as in step 2.

5. That's it! The impulse loader is installed. On opening logic (or your DAW) IT SHOULD AUTO FIND on startup.

Section B - Downloading and installing impulses

For this step you can install these free impulses from Alu. http://relivethefuture.com/music/patche%20...%20pulses.rar
1.Download and unzip
2.open the folders and you will see .wav files. These are the impulses (in case you did not know already)
3.Choose a folder for all your impulses. I made a new folder called impulses and put it in /library/audio/impulses.
you can put it on your desktop if you like or in your documents folder anywhere where you know where they will live. Because you need to know th location when you load them in your DAW (this case being Logic.
4. Copy the .wav impulses in to your new folder.
5. That's it... easy right! download, unzip, copy, paste to your own folder, that's it!

Section C- Using impulses!
Again I'm using Logic here on Mac. I've tried it in logic 8 9 and 9express. It would work the same or similar in most DAWS
1. Open Logic
2. create your a new track for your guitar
3. click the tracks 'inserts button and Load your favorite guitar plug in. in this case say eg amplitube3 (just because this needs an extra step, so it's a good example.)
4. Find your sound and Bypass the built in speaker emulator.
4.bMany do not have speaker emulators so you may net need to do this step.
**Now your in familiar territory right?**Now to load the impulses
5.[b] click the tracks second [b]inserts button (below the first, now you have 2 inserts)
6. Scroll down and select: Audio units->LAConvoler
7. Next open LAConvolver insert, and in the bottom right of the window you'll click the choose button
8. now fronm the pop up finder window locate the folder you saved your impulse files to and select one of the .wav files.
9. Depending on the guitar plug in you've selected, it will be either mono or stereo output. you'll either choose a single impulse file for mono or you'll choose on for L and one for R for stereo. (yes you can choose2 different impulses. one for each channel! cool!)

your set You should now hear your loaded impulses LIVE AND LOUD!

hope this helps many who are new or struggling!

I myself have been Blown Away by impulses! I couldn't live without them!

justinpartridge

Postby justinpartridge » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:03 am

zigna wrote:I'm searching for a MAC plugin that can manage 2 or more cabinet impulses simultaneously.
What have I to buy? I know there's plenty of these plugins for PC...But I'm on MAC, and I need to mix 2 or more cabinet impulses, 'cause I noticed that it really improves the tone of the amp sim.

Use this!
http://audio.lernvall.com/

you can load a Left and Right cab. But only if your sim is outputting stereo

pillboxhat

Postby pillboxhat » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:20 am

justinpartridge wrote:Ok I was looking everywhere for an easy to use HOW to and so after months of trying to figure it out and get it working it turned out SUPER easy!

Here is a step by step which any one should be able to follow....

I've broken this into 3 steps, simple as A.B.C:
A. installing the impulse loader
B. installing the impulses
C. using the impulses

Section A>
1. Goto: http://audio.lernvall.com/ and download LAConvolver.
Or just click this: http://download.cnet.com/LAConvolver/3000-2170_4-142315.html?tag=mncol;1

2. open your finder. open the following folder: /library/audio/Plug-Ins/Components

3. Unzip the LAconvolver .zip file you downloaded and open the folder. right click and copy the file name: LAConvolver.component

4. Paste this file in to your: /library/audio/Plug-Ins/Components folder as in step 2.

5. That's it! The impulse loader is installed. On opening logic (or your DAW) IT SHOULD AUTO FIND on startup.

Section B - Downloading and installing impulses

For this step you can install these free impulses from Alu. http://relivethefuture.com/music/patche%20...%20pulses.rar
1.Download and unzip
2.open the folders and you will see .wav files. These are the impulses (in case you did not know already)
3.Choose a folder for all your impulses. I made a new folder called impulses and put it in /library/audio/impulses.
you can put it on your desktop if you like or in your documents folder anywhere where you know where they will live. Because you need to know th location when you load them in your DAW (this case being Logic.
4. Copy the .wav impulses in to your new folder.
5. That's it... easy right! download, unzip, copy, paste to your own folder, that's it!

Section C- Using impulses!
Again I'm using Logic here on Mac. I've tried it in logic 8 9 and 9express. It would work the same or similar in most DAWS
1. Open Logic
2. create your a new track for your guitar
3. click the tracks 'inserts button and Load your favorite guitar plug in. in this case say eg amplitube3 (just because this needs an extra step, so it's a good example.)
4. Find your sound and Bypass the built in speaker emulator.
4.bMany do not have speaker emulators so you may net need to do this step.
**Now your in familiar territory right?**Now to load the impulses
5.[b] click the tracks second [b]inserts button (below the first, now you have 2 inserts)
6. Scroll down and select: Audio units->LAConvoler
7. Next open LAConvolver insert, and in the bottom right of the window you'll click the choose button
8. now fronm the pop up finder window locate the folder you saved your impulse files to and select one of the .wav files.
9. Depending on the guitar plug in you've selected, it will be either mono or stereo output. you'll either choose a single impulse file for mono or you'll choose on for L and one for R for stereo. (yes you can choose2 different impulses. one for each channel! cool!)

your set You should now hear your loaded impulses LIVE AND LOUD!

hope this helps many who are new or struggling!

I myself have been Blown Away by impulses! I couldn't live without them!

Nice! One question though. How do you know what impulses to use with the kind of tone (high gain, low gain, clean...) you're using?

pillboxhat

Postby pillboxhat » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:41 am

pillboxhat wrote:Nice! One question though. How do you know what impulses to use with the kind of tone (high gain, low gain, clean...) you're using?

Basically, is it worth trying out impulses for anything other than a metal tone? All I hear are metal examples. What about a clean or slightly dirty blues or rock tone? I appreciate it.

zig-cat

Postby zig-cat » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:57 pm

i downloaded laConvolver and followed the instructions posted above to install it. when i fired up logic 8, this is what it told me:

"you are using incompatible audio units.

Dear Logic Pro user,
you have 1 Audio Unit(s) enabled which did not pass the Apple AU
validation. This may cause problems and can even crash Logic Pro or
lead to data loss! Please check with the manufacturer(s) for updated
versions. We recommend disabling these plug-ins in the AU Manager."

so i went into the audio manager and forced it to open with laConvolver. i tried to load it on a channel strip and logic promptly crashed. i deleted the program from my computer and downloaded it again and repeated this whole process with the same result. where have i gone wrong? thwarted at every turn? yes indeed. any help would be much appreciated.

EmperorNeo

Postby EmperorNeo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:42 am

Can the Impulses Cabinets be used with Guitar Rig 4 stand alone or only if Guitar Rig is used as a vst in a DAW?

dougmaverick

Postby dougmaverick » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:06 pm

Hello all,

Does it work with Line6 Gearbox / PodFarm ?

jojo169

Postby jojo169 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:34 pm

Hi guys,

I just begin to use TH1 with the RedWirez impulse. But I found that its really frustrating to organize the data.

When I "create new group" on TH1, it cannot be undo or deleted. Im using mac and really need your help to reorganize my IR file..

yodaman123

Postby yodaman123 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:26 am

I am so confused about all of this. I'm using guitar rig 4 and I downloaded Kefir. All there is are 3 dll files. Where do I go from there? I'd love to help myself on this one but I'm just baffled. Thanks in advance. I
EDIT: How do I load KeFIR and Guitar Rig? In what program?

agirotto

Postby agirotto » Sun May 27, 2012 4:01 am

Hey all.

Have any of you guys tried using IRs after an e-piano or organ vst?

For example, with ComboF it's a necessity (for me, of course).

Have you tried it with MrRay or MrTramp?

Wanting to compare impressions...

Thx.

Krianus

Postby Krianus » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:08 pm

Hey, was wondering whether impulses can be used with a loader after I already have a recorded mono track? and will it sound good if not pre-recorded with the impulse?

BrodieSkiddlz

Postby BrodieSkiddlz » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:45 am

Im sorry to be grave digging on this thread here... but am i really the only one that cant figure out what a .rar file is???

I keep downloading all these impulses and i keep getting rar files. what are those? i thought these were supposed to be wav files??

LightPick

Postby LightPick » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:31 pm

BrodieSkiddlz wrote:Im sorry to be grave digging on this thread here... but am i really the only one that cant figure out what a .rar file is???

I keep downloading all these impulses and i keep getting rar files. what are those? i thought these were supposed to be wav files??

.rar files are files made smaller then put into 1 file to make for easier downloading ... you need a program to Un-Rar them to make them usable again ... a very good free one is 7-Zip http://www.7-zip.org/

come in different languages to if English is not your first :)

me267501

Postby me267501 » Sat May 25, 2013 6:26 pm

Hi, I need a 64 bit impulse loader anyone know of one

RogergLewis

Postby RogergLewis » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:20 am

This may be of interest fort hose interested in pickup IR's and acoustic guitar IR's

Demo of the Impulse response Wav files from the tonefreqhz vintage quality collection.

http://tonefreqhz.bandcamp.com/album/vi ... -responses

Using Acmebargigs freeware plugin Tribe.

Download your free sample and the tribe plugin from our web site.

http://www.vikingsoundcooperative.com/tone-freqhz.html

Visit Acme Bar Gig Here.

http://www.acmebargig.com/

Both Demo guitar IR's original Guitars for sale here.
http://www.breakoutmusic.se/gitarr/elgi ... ter-salute

http://www.breakoutmusic.se/gitarr/elgi ... ndard-1974

Return to “Speaker Cabinet Impulses”