How to use impulses

Speaker Cabinet Impulses
kimthebutcher
antispam: 6

Re: How to use impulses

Postby kimthebutcher » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:37 am

dude, in my opnion the catharsis impulses are excellent - i always use them, they're super-tasty for high-gain stuff

i think poidaboys ENGL ones are pretty tight too mate

cheers,
KimtheButcher
Last edited by kimthebutcher on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

dani1978

Postby dani1978 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:27 am

After some hours spend reading and searching in the forums...i'm still not able to use this in ableton live.I ve made it to work with VstHost program....and cantabile ...Using guitar rig 4 and amplitube 3 ..but im struggling how to use it in ableton.I wuold really appreciate any hint .And i wuold say ....that I ve discovered another real nice thing with this impulse thing.Thanks a lot plps.U are opening a new door in my tone creation.Thank U very much.

neiko

Postby neiko » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:01 pm

That post was just what I needed, answered all my questions. Thanks Alu!

Sp1ke

Postby Sp1ke » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:27 am

Hi! newbie here :D

I find these impulses very cool... But I can't get them to work.. I'm using AT 3 with Audition. I've turned off the cabs in AT 3, then loaded KeFIR, turn up the mix to 100% and I'm still getting a non distorted/poor sound. I've tried with a Slipknot impulse and a SOAD one that I've found here.

Any help?

Darkmind

Postby Darkmind » Wed May 19, 2010 11:01 am

Sp1ke wrote:Hi! newbie here :D

I find these impulses very cool... But I can't get them to work.. I'm using AT 3 with Audition. I've turned off the cabs in AT 3, then loaded KeFIR, turn up the mix to 100% and I'm still getting a non distorted/poor sound. I've tried with a Slipknot impulse and a SOAD one that I've found here.

Any help?

Hi!
Stupid question: Are you sure you did not turn off the amp sim of your AT3 but only the cab?
if not, try this chain: forget AT3 (just for identifying your problem), try a free amp sim like LePou's ones + keFIR then
Composer and musician of Drey: http://www.drey-official.com

strangedogs
antispam: 0

Postby strangedogs » Wed May 19, 2010 4:39 pm

Yeah your doing something wrong Sp1ke - make sure KEFIR is after the amp sim and get some decent impulses:

here's a bunch of impulses I've collected for a year or so:

http://www.megaupload-not-allowed.com/?d=QN9U5YIT

use the LOUDER ones to start with - lots of good ones in there - also the JJ ones are good too
"well boys there's 1 more thing you're gonna need to make it in Rock & Roll besides all those Guitars and Amps and Drums and stuff - it's called A SONG..."

alex-sonic

Postby alex-sonic » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:53 am

Hi!
this is the first time i post here, i don't really know where i can ask my question so i do it here.
I'm newbie to make music with a computer.
Here is my problem:in fact i can't get any decent sound so maybe i'm doing something wrong but i don't know what.
I read a lot on this forum but i can't find any answer so some help could be great.

I have a jackson with emg 81+85, and a pod UX2.
I use ableton.

I have guitar ==> pod UX 2 ==> Pod farm noise gate ==> Tube screameer (tss or the ts by pod farm) ==> revalver with a peavey 6505+ with an AILD pack on GAM(or nick crow 6505) ==> lepou cab or revalver impulses loader with a 57 axis (found in an As I Lay Dying pack on GAM)

What can i get is an ugly sound whereas when i hear the sound he makes it is awesome :(
I hope someone will help me!

Alex

immortalx

Postby immortalx » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:56 pm

Keep your chain as it is but don't use podfarm. You can use a vst noise gate, or the one in Revalver witch is fine.
Make sure that you use the bypass feature of the pod as you don't want it to emulate anything. Just a good clean signal. Also check your meters for clipping.

alex-sonic

Postby alex-sonic » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:25 pm

1) How i can use the noise gate in revalver?
When i try to use it, there is a lot of noise whereas the pod farm one seems to be good but maybe i'm wrong!
Is there any other vst i can use?

2)Can you tell me how i have to use the bypass? And what is it because i see this word everywhere in this forum but don't really understand it :s
The meters are the things on my ux2? I also don't really know how to use it :s

I also read to cut some frequencies but i don't know what vst i have to use, where i have to put it in my set-up and of course how to use it.

immortalx

Postby immortalx » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:54 pm

1) There's a learn button on the noise gate that takes care of this. Adjust knobs to taste.
2) I don't own a pod but i'm sure i've read somewhere that the tuner mode IS the bypass mode. You have to check your manual for this. And yep, check those meters in your pod while strumming loud, so that you have a "hot" signal. If the "clip" led turns on, adjust the level just a hair down.

For cutting frequencies : Many freeware EQ vsts can do the job (I use the one included in Reaper). But you got to do some reading first here ;) That's because there's no rule of thumb. If you just wanna shred alone you can use a low pass/high pass to remove unwanted frequencies, but that doesn't mean anything when you mix with other instruments. It's way more complicated and it's a whole new topic for discussion.

alex-sonic

Postby alex-sonic » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:46 pm

I succeed in usinf the noise gate, in fact i had to down the output sound then i adjust the learn button.
It alos down the vu-meters of my POD.

I didn't test any EQ but my sound is better right now.
I continue to use the metalcore settings here viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6397

I seems to have less distorsion so i tried to adjust the knobs pre gain but i have too much bass :s but i think i'm on a better way ^^
I'll try again and again ^^

alex-sonic

Postby alex-sonic » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:46 pm

And i have a question, maybe stupid but can i use a NS-2 for a noise gate?

openmind1984

Postby openmind1984 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:33 am

hey people, ... I m new to this fantastic forum, a lot of good information here.... so, I have a question , I ve been recording guitars for a year, I m workin as a session guitar player, so I don´t use to use simulations, I just record with mics etc .... BUT now I start workin in my homestudio, si I can´t record the guitar load.... you know what I mean, I try TH1, guitar rig, amplitube, and yeah, they re nice but, I will love to try impulses responses with my real heads.... but, I think I cant connect my line out of my head without conect the head to the cab too, I dont wanna frie my heads :P .... so, the sound will come from my cabinet and my computer ? .... then the problem is still there, I dont wanna use my cab, only the head.... so, I connect the line out to my audio interface and then load the IR ?¿? .... will my amp be safe without a cab ?¿? ... thx people

Alu

Postby Alu » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:04 am

If your amp has a tube power amp, a load (cab or dummy load) must always be connected.
Official Site | Facebook Page
Released Plug-Ins: NRR-1 | TS-999 SubScreamer | The Anvil | SHB-1 | PTEq-1a | TSB-1 Tyrant Screamer | TPA-1 | NadIR | Emissary
Guitars: LTD Deluxe M-1000 | Ibanez MTM2 (D-Sonic + Air Norton)
Soundcard: M-Audio Profire 610
Monitors: ESI nEar 08 eXperience | AKG K141 Studio Headphones
Studio Software: Cubase 6 | Overloud BREVERB | PSP sQuad | Steven Slate Drums 3.5 Platinum | Toontrack SD2.0 | URS Channel Strip Pro | VescoFx Provoker | Voxengo Curve Eq | Voxengo Elephant 3
Studio Productions: Energy Of The Elements - Heavenly Force (EP, 2009) | Injury Broadcast - Mosh Test Dummies (EP, 2010) | Subhuman - Promo 2011 | Spreadin' Fear - Mankind (FL, 2012)

openmind1984

Postby openmind1984 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:19 pm

so... it´s not possible to record my head sound, and only hear it thru monitors and not thru a cab ?¿? .... must be some way to get it ...

Alu

Postby Alu » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:53 pm

The only way is to buy or build yourself a dummy load.
You can find some schematics on the Aiken Amps site.
Released Plug-Ins: NRR-1 | TS-999 SubScreamer | The Anvil | SHB-1 | PTEq-1a | TSB-1 Tyrant Screamer | TPA-1 | NadIR | Emissary
Studio Software: Cubase 6 | Overloud BREVERB | PSP sQuad | Steven Slate Drums 3.5 Platinum | Toontrack SD2.0 | URS Channel Strip Pro | VescoFx Provoker | Voxengo Curve Eq | Voxengo Elephant 3
Studio Productions: Energy Of The Elements - Heavenly Force (EP, 2009) | Injury Broadcast - Mosh Test Dummies (EP, 2010) | Subhuman - Promo 2011 | Spreadin' Fear - Mankind (FL, 2012)

josephtillman

Postby josephtillman » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:57 pm

I need some help downloading the Voxengo program. First of all, is it even possible to use it on Mac? Because it says it's for windows even though I just downloaded it and opened it fine. It just has a .dll file and I'm not sure where to put it! Help!?

josephtillman

Postby josephtillman » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:19 pm

Nevermind guys, found a program for Mac called "LAconvolver" Gonna see if it will work. I'm new to all of this :P

strangedogs

Postby strangedogs » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:06 pm

LAconvolver works great - I use it and Logic's Space Designer for my impulses. DLL files are for Windows only.
"well boys there's 1 more thing you're gonna need to make it in Rock & Roll besides all those Guitars and Amps and Drums and stuff - it's called A SONG..."

josephtillman

Postby josephtillman » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:33 pm

What does Logic's Space Designer do?

marduk111

Postby marduk111 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:41 pm

i just followed this and the beginners guide 2, and tried to use impulse for the first time, but i found when i had it loaded that the sound got extremely quiet, and if i bypassed it it went back to normal. im not sure where i went wrong

im using cubase LE and guitar rig 4 and VoxengoBoogex

any thought what i may have done wrong?

MetalmcBeef

Postby MetalmcBeef » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:26 pm

For whatever reason I can't seem to get this to work properly. I'm using Sonar 8 on Windows 7 with Amplitube 3 and the KeFIR plugin. Amplitube is chained AHEAD of the impulse loader, and the cab is switched to bybass, but all I get is a really high treble grainy/fuzzy sound that sounds like the cheapest and tiniest little combo amp you ever heard with all the knobs turned up to 11.

Any ideas as to what's causing this? It's really quite terrible! Should I be trying another impulse-loader, and in that case, do you have any particular programs (even ones I have to pay for) that you can recommend?

Alu

Postby Alu » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:30 pm

Try LePou LeCab (remember to switch the power button to ON, as it's OFF by default).

About your issue, are you setting the Mix control to 100% in KeFir? Try to increase the Length too, even at full.

Posting your settings would help.

MetalmcBeef

Postby MetalmcBeef » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:19 pm

Alu -- Yeah it's on 100%

I'm running my in-signal through a Presonus Firebox. Beyond that the settings themselves in Amplitube don't seem to make too much of a difference, which kind of miffs me.
I tried using the PerfectSpace plugin on Sonar to run the impulses through, and that made things sound a fair bit better, but still nowhere near the level of quality from the example video(s).
Do you reckon it might be DAW related?
If so, do you have any to recommend? Perhaps some Amp simulators as well? Like just something that I could use as a sort of benchmark to hear where the problem lies.

Alu

Postby Alu » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:08 am

Again, post a sample... :)

Post a screenshot of your DAW routing and plugins settings.

Return to “Speaker Cabinet Impulses”