what is this?

Speaker Cabinet Impulses
DeathDealer
antispam: 0

Re:

Postby DeathDealer » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:39 am

pappo wrote:...wow!
Tried them in revalver 2 and the pod xt ones are really a miracle!!
With a bassguy, a chorus and a delay my sound is almost identical to gilmour's one if i use the hiway 100 (hiwatt,of course) impulse.

i have the POD-xt ones also, but i don't quite understand it...there's amp models in there also, do those go through the cab module too??
what you gotta do is make sweet love at first, then when she least suspects it BAM!! angry sex, couple punches in the head, tug on that hair. then call it a night

ruisealman

Re: Re:

Postby ruisealman » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:28 pm

DeathDealer wrote:
pappo wrote:...wow!
Tried them in revalver 2 and the pod xt ones are really a miracle!!
With a bassguy, a chorus and a delay my sound is almost identical to gilmour's one if i use the hiway 100 (hiwatt,of course) impulse.

i have the POD-xt ones also, but i don't quite understand it...there's amp models in there also, do those go through the cab module too??

Dude, I'm a bit braindead today (Mondays. ARGH!!!) so I'll try to make it simple for you

Check this chain:

Guitar -> Preamp -> PowerAmp -> Impulse soft -> Output

Disable any cab sims that exist inside the chain and use only the Impulse one. Unless thats is the sound you are looking for, of course. There's no written rules on how to reach a tone. Except mines....mwhahahaha :twisted:

Hope it helps.

Hugz

DeathDealer

Re: Re:

Postby DeathDealer » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:39 pm

ruisealman wrote:Disable any cab sims that exist inside the chain and use only the Impulse one. Unless thats is the sound you are looking for, of course. There's no written rules on how to reach a tone. Except mines....mwhahahaha :twisted:

Hope it helps.

Hugz

what i mean is that the folder includes amplifier models, like the treadplate,spinalpuppet,j800,plexi
are those supposed to go through the same one the cabs do??
what you gotta do is make sweet love at first, then when she least suspects it BAM!! angry sex, couple punches in the head, tug on that hair. then call it a night

ruisealman

Re: what is this?

Postby ruisealman » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:21 pm

Hi DeathDealer,

now I understood what you were asking. Sorry. :)

Yep, if you have amp impulses they can go trough the chain like if they were a regular amp or whatever piece of equipment you are trying to replicate.
Guitar --> Impulse (Amp) -->Impulse (Cabinet) --> Output
Just keep an eye for the Impulses descriptions or use your ear.
Like someone said before placing a cabinet sim going trough another one might suck up the tone or make it shine. Depends on the approach and what you want to get. 8)

Hugz,

DeathDealer

Postby DeathDealer » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:27 pm

aight thanks

zerocrossing

Postby zerocrossing » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:55 am

Isn't Amplitube 2 already doing this with their mic modeler with it's placement?

Alu
antispam: 6

Postby Alu » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:24 am

zerocrossing wrote:Isn't Amplitube 2 already doing this with their mic modeler with it's placement?

Doing what?
Anyway AT2 impulses suck big time, expecially for a metal tone...
Official Site | Facebook Page
Released Plug-Ins: NRR-1 | TS-999 SubScreamer | The Anvil | SHB-1 | PTEq-1a | TSB-1 Tyrant Screamer | TPA-1 | NadIR | Emissary
Guitars: LTD Deluxe M-1000 | Ibanez MTM2 (D-Sonic + Air Norton)
Soundcard: M-Audio Profire 610
Monitors: ESI nEar 08 eXperience | AKG K141 Studio Headphones
Studio Software: Cubase 6 | Overloud BREVERB | PSP sQuad | Steven Slate Drums 3.5 Platinum | Toontrack SD2.0 | URS Channel Strip Pro | VescoFx Provoker | Voxengo Curve Eq | Voxengo Elephant 3
Studio Productions: Energy Of The Elements - Heavenly Force (EP, 2009) | Injury Broadcast - Mosh Test Dummies (EP, 2010) | Subhuman - Promo 2011 | Spreadin' Fear - Mankind (FL, 2012)

Kiview

Postby Kiview » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:09 pm

Somehow I can't really understand, why using impulses give you such a sound improvement.
For example, I use a Line6 Toneport (with Gearbox Software) and there you have these things like Cab Sims + Mic Sim and Mic positioning as well.
Now, somehow they must have calculated theses sims, or not?
And do these sims tread the sound in such da different way, that you get such a different result?

Or is it perhaps, because these user made impulses have more "dirt" in the sound and the factory made ones are more sterile?

I simply can't figure it out :o
Warhammer - Death Doom Brigade
Minjar - Black Heavy Metal

mauro_p

Postby mauro_p » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:28 pm

It's ok, your question is totally understandable.
"The" thing is not the fact you're using the impulse "technology", it's using good impulses.
Line 6, Amplitube, Guitar Rig, etc., use cabinet modeling technology, sometimes impulses, sometimes other technologies. Impulses are IMHO the most accurate, but an impulse can be made of a badly mic'ed cab.
The thing here is:
There are great impulses out there, much better ones than line6's and amplitube's. Try them.
Don't make it too complex.

Cheers :cheers:
Mauro

EasySleazy

Postby EasySleazy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:31 pm

Kiview wrote:Somehow I can't really understand, why using impulses give you such a sound improvement.
For example, I use a Line6 Toneport (with Gearbox Software) and there you have these things like Cab Sims + Mic Sim and Mic positioning as well.
Now, somehow they must have calculated theses sims, or not?
And do these sims tread the sound in such da different way, that you get such a different result?

Or is it perhaps, because these user made impulses have more "dirt" in the sound and the factory made ones are more sterile?

I simply can't figure it out :o

I don't know how line6 sounds with impulses. But here is a very quick comparison I did with impulses. It's just one guitar playing the same riff. The first part is GR2 with it's standard cabs. The second part is GR2 with impulse. The third is Amplitube2 with it's standard cab. The fourth AT2 with impulse. Excuse my playing. http://www.esnips.com/doc/0d9f9a31-baa0 ... tereo-Test

Also listen to some stuff in the "Your Music" section. Almost all the recent stuff is made with Impulses.

A more recent clip I did with impulses is this one. It's not a default cab/impulse comparison, it's an amp sim comparison.
http://www.filefreak.com/pfiles/50967/ImpulseTest.mp3
(The first two parts is AT2 with one impulse, the next two are ATmetal with two impulse combo, like using two cabs in parallel connection and last is RevalverII with the same impulse combo I think)
Also, you should try it yourself! I bet you'll see an improvement!
ffffffffff

Kiview

Postby Kiview » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:36 pm

So do you think the Line6 Cab Sims are realised with impulses as well?
Someone toled me, maybe they just use a EQ-Curve to simulate them.

I've already tried some of the impulses in this forum and I'm totally amazed (especially the ones from brohymn and the sperimental pack blew me away 8) )

At the moment I'm still confused about that much variations of one impulse, but slowly I'm getting behind it :wink:

@EasySleazy
Already listened to your Clip and made my own experiences with my Line6 modelling.
You're right, you can sure hear a big difference, I was only wondering, why? ^^

EasySleazy

Postby EasySleazy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:43 pm

Kiview wrote:So do you think the Line6 Cab Sims are realised with impulses as well?

I've already tried some of the impulses in this forum and I'm totally amazed (especially the ones from brohymn and the sperimental pack blew me away 8) )

At the moment I'm still confused about that much variations of one impulse, but slowly I'm getting behind it :wink:

@EasySleazy
Already listened to your Clip and made my own experiences with my Line6 modelling.
You're right, you can sure hear a big difference, I was only wondering, why? ^^

My guess is this: The Cab simulation created by Line6, Native instruments and so on, can't be based on real cabinets. I think they ARE impulses, but not based on the real thing. It must be something like that thing that "someone" told you. EQ and some other tech stuff. It can't be based on the real cabinets because I don't think that, what is achieved by people that do this for fun, can be 5 million times better than the factory stuff. Imo, the mistake that companies do is that they sacrifice the realistic cab response/tone for the diversity of the tones (which is achieved by options like "Air", "mic distance" etc within the software...stuff that are destined mostly, if not only, for people that use amp simulations only for a 5 minute break from their work and don't take it seriously).
Speaking for myself, I would prefer just one or two cabs, with two or three mic placements for each one and only one mic, or perhaps two. The only difficulty that I think would emerge, should a company consider doing impulses, would be that if they wanted to be dead accurate with the impulse, they would have to do a lot of amp/cab combinations to achieve it (that's because the amp's power section plays it's part too).
In order to create an impulse, you need a mic, a real amp head and a real cab, a pc, and probably some other stuff too which I don't know (not necessarily expensive stuff). The only expensive thing is the real amp and the real cab.
About the thing you say "...about the variations of one impulse": There is a certain technique on how you'll capture the impulse. If we are talking about doing it with only one mic, then stuff like the distance of the mic from the cab, the settings of the power amp section make a difference I think. There is also some post processing in the computer I think. The room in which the cab is placed and the quality of the soundcard are important too of course). Check this stuff since I am not much of an expert in this. I just do clips hehe: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1745
ffffffffff

Cyaoeu

Postby Cyaoeu » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:22 pm

Kiview wrote:So do you think the Line6 Cab Sims are realised with impulses as well?

I think the line 6 hardware doesn't have enough processing power to use real impulses. The POD's EQ (:lol:) shows that the hardware is pretty limited. I wouldn't be surprised if they're using EQ to approximate the real impulse's sound. Anyway, it's a horrible waste of amp potential though... If Alu or Brohymn had those amps instead of line6, we would have some kickass impulses instead of amp modeling units that don't even sound as good as free plugins... :?

Alu

Postby Alu » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:36 pm

EasySleazy has a good point here about the quality of the software cabs... it's pretty strange... just check the recto cab of GR3 or AT2... c'mon, how could a mesa cab sound like that?!?! It's just unbelievable...

About POD cabs, I'm pretty sure they're impulses (I think I've read somewhere that impulses were the line6's secret weapon since POD2.0), and to be honest, compared to GR and AT standard cabs, they're pretty good... it's not an eq approximation imho, you can't get that sound with an eq, there is just too much stuff on there...
Analog cab-sims like ADA Ampulator or Palmer stuff are simple eq approximations
Released Plug-Ins: NRR-1 | TS-999 SubScreamer | The Anvil | SHB-1 | PTEq-1a | TSB-1 Tyrant Screamer | TPA-1 | NadIR | Emissary
Studio Software: Cubase 6 | Overloud BREVERB | PSP sQuad | Steven Slate Drums 3.5 Platinum | Toontrack SD2.0 | URS Channel Strip Pro | VescoFx Provoker | Voxengo Curve Eq | Voxengo Elephant 3
Studio Productions: Energy Of The Elements - Heavenly Force (EP, 2009) | Injury Broadcast - Mosh Test Dummies (EP, 2010) | Subhuman - Promo 2011 | Spreadin' Fear - Mankind (FL, 2012)

Kiview

Postby Kiview » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:31 am

But still the Line6 Cam sims are quite far away from your impulses.
For the moment I would believe it is because they nearly have no room and sound very flat, which makes them seem more unnatural.

Alu

Postby Alu » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:14 am

Probably they just didn't spend much time searching for a good cab position in the room (really important), selecting the best speaker (every speaker of a cab sounds different from the others) and messing around with the mic position (a few millimeters could make a big difference)...
I think they just putted the cab in the room, then putted the mic in front of one casual speaker and recorded the impulse... :roll:

Just my opinion, but definately it seems they didn't make a great effort :lol:

Niksounds

Postby Niksounds » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:06 pm

pappo wrote:
EasySleazy wrote:
Impluses are cabinet "simulations", right, as the ones found in rv mk2

Yup...more or less. You can use them with Revalver if that's where you are getting it.

Damnit... Saluti!

Finalmente qualcuno italiano...

mica il solo..

dr3amer

Postby dr3amer » Fri May 01, 2009 5:36 pm

Dunno if it has been said already... GR3 seems to simulate cabinets and amps even if they're turned off, so if you don't like them or don't use them, CLOSE the speaker cab, amp, whatever. That is, press the "X" in the top right corner. There's definitely a difference, at least on my machine and 3 others... Just my 5 cents.

nicoguitar

Postby nicoguitar » Wed May 06, 2009 10:49 am

Damnit... Saluti!

Finalmente qualcuno italiano...

mica il solo..[/quote]

siamo in molti qui, ma ci vergognamo di scrivere perchè altrimenti si fanno brutte figure :D
se sapessi scrivere senza errori in inglese ( per bene.. non certo con traduttore ) darei una mano a tutti;)

ENJOY

sikaudio

Postby sikaudio » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:38 pm

G'day fellow Axe-men.
New to this Impulse game....but what i will say after my little experiments today....HOLY SMOKING WOMBATS! :shock:
All these years I have been bitching & burning the DI input. "No where near as good as the Real thing"
I've tried every DI amp sim thingy I can get my hands on out there & only ever got close to a sound I thought
was realistic & tone-full by using heaps of outboard rack gear, software & crazy configs.
Now.... man, I'm blown away by what this little plugin can do.
Thank you to who ever invented this amazing gift to guitar DI tone...a true Legend!
And thank you to all that spend hours on creating these kick-ass impulses I find here on this forum...LEGENDS! :D

surfsup

Postby surfsup » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:03 pm

Good morning guys, I am curious where these impulses are located for download? I can't seem to find them and would certainly like to try them as the cab sims I've used so far didn't sound all that hot. TIA

EDIT- I found Alu's stuff finally, if there is a link to some other's I would appreciate. TIA

Return to “Speaker Cabinet Impulses”