Using 1 Revalver 4 plugin for separate channels

All kind of Revalver problems should be placed here.
DrKonflict
antispam: 6

Using 1 Revalver 4 plugin for separate channels

Postby DrKonflict » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:18 am

Hi,

In order to save CPU I want to be able to use revalver 4 in stereo mode on a bus track. Then I can route my panned guitar tracks to the bus so I only need to use one instance of the revalver plugin. But it doesn't want to work properly. Once I active anything in the effects/amp chain it goes back to mono. I have tried setting the input module to stereo and all the individual effects and amps to stereo as well. It just doesn't want to work. Any idea how this can be done? I can of course put an instance of revalver on both channel but that's kind of annoying. I know that most of the modules work only in mono in real life but this is software and most other amp sims can easily be used in stereo mode.

Thanks in advance.

Junior Paiz

Re: Using 1 Revalver 4 plugin for separate channels

Postby Junior Paiz » Sun May 03, 2015 5:03 pm

DrKonflict wrote:Hi,

In order to save CPU I want to be able to use revalver 4 in stereo mode on a bus track. Then I can route my panned guitar tracks to the bus so I only need to use one instance of the revalver plugin. But it doesn't want to work properly. Once I active anything in the effects/amp chain it goes back to mono. I have tried setting the input module to stereo and all the individual effects and amps to stereo as well. It just doesn't want to work. Any idea how this can be done? I can of course put an instance of revalver on both channel but that's kind of annoying. I know that most of the modules work only in mono in real life but this is software and most other amp sims can easily be used in stereo mode.

Thanks in advance.

Hello
So far this isn't possible to do that because Revalver was built to be realistic and, as real amps and most stomps don't work in stereo, so it too doesn't. What you can do to save CPU is freeze the tracks you have Revalver in or print them. That may change in the future, but I have no information of when it will happen.

requietus
antispam: 0

Postby requietus » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:18 am

interesting... I have revalver III.V, not Revalver 4, but..

DrKonflict has probably solved his issue to this day, but there is a workaround to this problem (in rev III.V), at least, I think so because I can relate to that since I also wanted to route several tracks through revalver. To do it, for example, in cubase, you can use group channel tracks. Select revalver on the insert of the group track and route outputs of your audio tracks to this group track, and probably also pan audio tracks left and right each. And then you just toggle everything from mono to stereo in revalver. If there is at least one effect operating in mono in revalver, the whole chain goes to mono, obviously.

If it is not possible in Revalver 4, then for me it would be a big downside. You still might try those group tracks.

RustyC

Postby RustyC » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:04 am

Mono consolidation on a sub group bus, no point in stereo :D

jorismak

Postby jorismak » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:53 am

If a plugin uses let's say 5% on CPU on processing a mono track, it will most likely consume 10% for doing a stereo channel with two separate channels.

In other words, you don't win on CPU with having two revalver instances processing a mono track versus one instance doing a stereo track. It still has to process two tracks.

In theory, 'going into' a plugin 'and coming out of it again' takes a little bit of CPU, so using one (stereo) instance instead of two (mono) instances you win a little bit there... but you're not going to notice those gains unless you're running on a 166mhz Pentium I or something. Calling a plugin instance takes a few cpu cycles, compared to the thousands of cpu cycles the plugin then does on processing.

Don't bother with processing two guitar tracks on a single stereo channel. It will only make the session very confusing when you have 50+ tracks going :).

Return to “Support”