Performance Tuning for Audio Workstations - Remove pop/click

All kind of problems should be placed here
picknstrum
antispam: 0

Performance Tuning for Audio Workstations - Remove pop/click

Postby picknstrum » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:46 pm

:idea:

Lot of people face the ugly pop n click problem when dealing with recording on PCs. What does it mean? It means that sound being recorded or played back is being choked. Reasons: Not enough resources!

Now that was a simplistic answer. Here are details:

Sound is choked becuase of low resources. Now you might say that you have world's fastest computer but why still the resource problem? Audio recording/playback have special needs, some of it includes powerful CPU, lots of memory and some needs are different. Your sound travels through sound card, which is usually a PCI based card. There are several other PCI devices in the PC and all of them share the same bus. Yes, the bus :!: Its like any other bus and seating is limited. Also, the more people or devices on the bus, the slower it gets.

Fortunately, there are mechanisms to set priority of the devices in your computer. Biggest contenders are AGP or PCI Graphic card, IDE controllers (Hard drive/CDROM chip), USB Controllers and the sound card. What I've found out is that the priority in most cases are set in the order of:

1. Graphic Card gets the highest
2. Sound card is 2nd
3. IDE controller gets next
4. USB is next.

Depending on what your needs are, you can adjust the parameters for these devices. Its best to keep the order the same, but reduce some priority until results are obtained.

How to do this shit:

Get a software called POWERSTRIP. There is an article going in details on how to do this so I'll link it here
or http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=45491&mpage=1&key=sata%2Creclaiming

This is in the Sonar forum but the issue is the same in all audio softwares.

Now this is a huge thread but within the first two pages, you'll find the answers. Its an excellent thread to deal with pops/clicks in all scenarios. I would recommend that even if you don't have pops/clicks in audio, get powerstrip and go through this thread. You might be able to get more performance out of your DAW. This is where my problems were solved!

It is also best to dedicate the PC to audio. I've used my PC for everything and it will work for audio as well, but for professional results, you'll eventaully have to get a seperate PC. I GUARANTEE IT!

Here is the reason: Besides using powerstrip and fixing the PCI latencies, there are lot of other tunings required on the DAW. Here is the most comprehensive site:
http://www.musicxp.net/

Let me know if this helps. All of the above suggestions, especially powerstrip and device latency issues, require you to be a bit more technical with your PC, but to operate a DAW, you have to be. Alternative to that is you buy an expensive PC that is configured to be a DAW.
long live rock n roll

seyd

Postby seyd » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:13 pm

Good post..im gonna have to read this altho i almost never experience any pops or clicks, but when i do get one..i donno what to hit

Flaming

Postby Flaming » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:29 am

Thank You!

I've just added to my favourites sites!

strangedogs

Postby strangedogs » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:51 pm

Just shuck that thang and buy a Mac G5 like I did - now I Never worry about latency, pops, clicks, etc. I was a stoneassed Windows man since the very beginning. Actually the 1st Windows version I ran was a free one they gave you when you vought Aldus Pagemaker in the 80's. It was called "A Runtime Environment" and finally just "Windows"... it allowed us in the publishing trade to actually SEE MATCHING FONTS - actually see the whole page (document) as you worked on it COMPLETE WITH GRAPHICS... it was the dawn of desktop publishing.

I shunned Macs - called em' MacinTrash, etc. Use one for 24 hours and you'll never go back. I don't deal with Adware, Viruses, Spyware, - Just that old pure JOY OF COMPUTING once again.

I record using Logic Express 7 and Ableton's LIVE 5. I also have used MOTU's Digital Performer 5 but didn't like it. Heck the Mac comes with Garageband 3 already on it - an AMAZING recording solution right at your fingertips...

lumpong_bayag

asdf

Postby lumpong_bayag » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:13 pm

i installed the Powerstrip but i dont know what next

what setting do i need to change there?

am i going to increase the memory or clock for best?

and guys try PCI LATENCY TOOLS maybe it would help

shasha

Re: Performance Tuning for Audio Workstations - Remove pop/click

Postby shasha » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:20 am

PCI Latency tools is the one that I've been using since as far back as I can remember. Its very easy to use and probably pretty easy to mess up your PC so be careful.

Biggest problem is finding a copy of it. Here's one for you all, its the latest one I could find; I've been using this one for a few years with no problems on WinXP SP3.

I do remember that the latency needs to be in multiples of 8. Biggest thing to look for is the video adapter and if its hogging up the bus all the time (256 latency is a common problem). I also had a network adapter that would hog up the bus.

I think that most of my stuff runs about 32 the best with the audio card running at 128; its different for different systems.

And you have to pay attention to how you apply the settings and to have it run at startup; if it doesn't then it doesn't do anything.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mba64

Postby mba64 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:22 am

Thanks very good information thanks alot man
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2015
Cort Bass
Fluid F5
Studio One 3

Windows 10 x64
Intel® Core™ i5-4570 3,2Ghz, 12GB RAM
Peavey ReValver Support

tr0n
antispam: 6

Postby tr0n » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:55 am

Apologies for a possible thread 'necro' but I just wanted to point something out. It sounds to me like these programs are handling IRQ designations. This is the priority order of system resources as the OP alighted on. M-Audio have a nice article about it here: http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=sup ... 5aec1f755b

What may also be relevant is the buffer size you are working with. For tracking, as low a size as you can get should be used so that there is as little latency from your guitar to the DAW. For mixing and editing, work at the highest buffer size you can (512/1024/2048) because you're not playing anything yourself, the DAW is just thinking ahead a lot to process everything before it's played.

apefist

Postby apefist » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:07 pm

My system isn't on a network of any kind, so I am able to disable ALL my network drivers and processes. You'd be amazed how much better GR3 operates, even as a VST in SONAR or Cubase.

My system is set up as literally an audio/video workstation. No print server, no LAN or filesharing, no need for at least 1/3 of all the processes and executables that run at any given time. I'm running XP64, too, so overall, I'm VERY pleased with all that I can do, performance wise. Now, if I could just PLAY better...

Miyk

Postby Miyk » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:07 pm

For some reason im getting a pop/click in GR4 but never in 3 -.-
I use it as a VST in sonar.

I tried installing powerstrip, im afraid im not sure how to use it, im not the best when it comes to computers haha.
I also removed the APCI drivers, but It ended up messing things up i think. I had to reboot and then they just reinstalled, and I also had to reinstall the drivers for my preamp.

One question I have is will the pop/clicks be heard when you export the file? Like if your finished with a song, and make it into a mp3, will you still hear them?

kpsion

Re: Performance Tuning for Audio Workstations - Remove pop/c

Postby kpsion » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:17 pm

hey do not unistall ACPI drivers unless you reconfigured your motherboard to use APM instead of ACPI

Else this will be reinstall and in worse case your computer will not reboot :)

For history disabling ACPI will disable sharing ressources (IRQ) between PCI cards..... and fix cards on one physical IRQ instead of virtual ones

But if you are not a geek doing this could be a nigntmare depending on your configuration

Grindhouse1

Re: Performance Tuning for Audio Workstations - Remove pop/c

Postby Grindhouse1 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:18 pm

Oh God, i really didnt understand a thing in that topic :D i have no clue what to do. I use guitar rig 4 in fl studio and it always makes the terrible noise, clicks or whatever, its so bad that i cannot even record properly although when i export as an mp3 there is no noise but still when i record i hardly can hear myself so i need to fix this, so anyone could write detailed steps what to do?

Return to “Support”