Signal Path Question

All kind of problems should be placed here
ed.rhone
antispam: 0

Signal Path Question

Postby ed.rhone » Mon May 02, 2016 9:07 pm

Hey,

Question 1
I am using a presonus firebox to go into my computer. i usually plug the guitar direct into the front pre. I do not have any of the boosts on.

My question is what is the best way to get the signal to Guitar Rig as a VST? DI box to a line level? Straight to the pre and use the gain to boost and attenuate?

Not sure if the firebox is the issue, but seems like my tone is getting destroyed. Any input pointers would be highly appreciated.

Question 2:
Guitar Rig really sounds muddy even with tons of tweaking. For super high gain purposes, what amp modeling vst would you recommend?

Thanks

Pickasso

Re: Signal Path Question

Postby Pickasso » Tue May 03, 2016 3:40 am

First suggestion: post a short DI (clean) clip of a basic riff here, so someone can test it, and you can get some feedback.

I used to use a Firestudio Mobile which I imagine is similar. Tone for me was best when plugging in direct as you are, just cable to interface.
That doesn't mean the other ideas aren't worth trying. The di box helps more when you have a low input impedance input, 1 meg ohm or more is better. (the Firestudio had that), it won't make a great deal of difference in tone of you have a 1 m-ohm instrument input, it'll be very, very slight. You could also try a pedal configuration, if it's not a 'true bypass' pedal, then you'll have some buffer power when the pedal is off.

Other thing to look at is your cable and strings. Longer the cable, greater the impedance, duller the sound. Want to test what an expensive cable might sound like? Find the shortest cable you can, even a pedal cable. Pretty awkward, but record a riff direct to the interface with that, if it sounds night and day brighter, consider buying a better cable. New strings sound way brighter, too!

Question 2: For high gain, try Lepou's Legion, with Nadir and some diezel impulses. You could check out some of pvdhp's amps, too:
http://pvamps.blogspot.com/

Not sure what you mean by 'not having the boosts on'.

ed.rhone
antispam: 0

Re: Signal Path Question

Postby ed.rhone » Wed May 04, 2016 8:39 pm

Pickasso wrote:First suggestion: post a short DI (clean) clip of a basic riff here, so someone can test it, and you can get some feedback.

I used to use a Firestudio Mobile which I imagine is similar. Tone for me was best when plugging in direct as you are, just cable to interface.
That doesn't mean the other ideas aren't worth trying. The di box helps more when you have a low input impedance input, 1 meg ohm or more is better. (the Firestudio had that), it won't make a great deal of difference in tone of you have a 1 m-ohm instrument input, it'll be very, very slight. You could also try a pedal configuration, if it's not a 'true bypass' pedal, then you'll have some buffer power when the pedal is off.

Other thing to look at is your cable and strings. Longer the cable, greater the impedance, duller the sound. Want to test what an expensive cable might sound like? Find the shortest cable you can, even a pedal cable. Pretty awkward, but record a riff direct to the interface with that, if it sounds night and day brighter, consider buying a better cable. New strings sound way brighter, too!

Question 2: For high gain, try Lepou's Legion, with Nadir and some diezel impulses. You could check out some of pvdhp's amps, too:
http://pvamps.blogspot.com/

Not sure what you mean by 'not having the boosts on'.

The input boosts in the Presonus control panel. All good, i am going to try those Plugis and impulse you suggested. Thanks!!!!

Return to “Support”