Boominess around 100-300HZ - Focusrite 6 USB

Off-topic
neco

Boominess around 100-300HZ - Focusrite 6 USB

Postby neco » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:40 am

All the issues with the instrument input and Focusrite 6 USB`s clipping aside, I have a strange kind of a problem with my guitar tone which

- I have to point out that I am using an ART DI-Box to connect my guitars with the said audio interface.
- I have already checked the issue with different guitars. One is equiped with the classic Dimarzio Super Distorion/PAF combination the other one has the JB/Jazz. Think the guitars shouldn't cause my problem.
- I've also tried a different DAW's. Usually I'm using Cubase but also tried Reaper.

Whenever I play a simple power chord like open A and E for instance and immidiately palm mute the strings there is a booming sound which fades away slowly (See picture above). Playing fast runs/ legato everything gets washed-out by some resonant boominess. Especially at the two lower E and A strings. My technique might not be the best but not that bad, I think.

Any ideas?
Should appreciate any kind of help. If nothing else at leas a suggestion for a different audio interface that has no clipping input/ latency issues (Well, at least the latency is quite fine with the Focusrite). Haven't found any audio interface around 180€ that hasn't bad user reviews so far.

jorismak
antispam: 6

Re: Boominess around 100-300HZ - Focusrite 6 USB

Postby jorismak » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:07 am

Is the sound there in your clean DI (the 'fading slow away'), cause then it's kinda weird.

A 'sudden single palm mute' is always an 'explosion of bass'... Amplifiers shape your guitar signal to be better handled by the distortion (getting rid of a bit of bass, shelving of some of the highs). But for real heavy sounds, there is probably still too much bass being fed into an amplifier.

This is a very common thing, and it is the reason why a lot of heavy players have some kind of tubescreamer-style pedal in front of the high-gain amps, with the gain on the pedal at 0 and the volume 'in the middle' or raised and the tone wherever you want. The tubescreamer circuit cuts a lot of the bass that makes an amplifier 'flubb out' and thus makes heavy guitar sound tighter, specially palm mutes.

So, that boominess 'that fades away slowly'. What is slowly? 1 second? 5 seconds? 0.1 second?
And is it also present in the clean DI without an amp sim or are you only talking about the amp sim sound? What kind of amp sim and amp model and settings do you use then?

It might very well bi that the art DI has a limiter or something? What box is it? Really the $10 art di or something else?
Btw, what focusrite do you have? You talk about the 'focusrite 6 usb' but that doesn't tell if it's the Saffire 6 USB or the Scarlett.

The Focusrite Saffire Pro14 and the Scarlett 2i4 are generally well received (and no instrument clipping issues), and yeah, you always have shit talk about a product on the internet. You gotta read through it to get a real opinion :).

Finally, some people online that do 'reviews about pickups' then post DI files of them. I took the Lundgren M6-bridge pickup demo by Ryan Bruce (Fluff). Right on the moment he palm mutes I took a frequency graph kinda like yours:

See the similarity? Quite a peak between 100 and 300hz... That's normal.

neco

Postby neco » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:55 am

First of all thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.
The graph you see is pre-eq and has already a Tubescreamer in the chain. I use TH2 with Rosen Digital IR's (EVH and Marshall) btw.
However the boomy sound is always present no matter which type of amp I use. Also with free amp sims, IR's and IR loaders. Can't tame it down without massive eq settings resulting in a very lifeless tone.

I have an ARTcessories Xdirect Di box which wasn't that cheap, I think. Doesn't mean it isn't crappy, though ;).
Using the instrument input plus pad or using far less gain yields the same effect.

Have tried a DI file (Lasse & Mago) I downloaded which sound quite fine without that boominess present.

Without further ado I will try to record that effect. Seems to be more reasonable anyways. Thus you could hear the sound - much better than a description for sure.

Again thanks Jorismak!. Will make an attempt at properly recording said effect...

PS: It's the old Focusrite 6 USB 1.1 (not the Scarlett) btw.

neco

Postby neco » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:28 pm

PVDHP

Postby PVDHP » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:18 pm

It's all ok to the chain so the problem is in your playing skills and guitar.

jorismak

Postby jorismak » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:21 am

To be honest, the boominess is really in your DI.

But like PVDHP I'm kinda wondering if it's a technical fault or if you're just not muting the guitar fast enough.
Not to 'diss' on your playing skills... but if you go out and buy another interface and you keep the same problem it would be kinda a shame.

Just as a test, if you plug directly into the Saffire 6 (if it has clipping issues just turn down the volume of your guitar till it doesn't clip anymore. Just as a test) and see if it's still there.

neco

Postby neco » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:00 am

Now I’m really confused at first after PVDHP’s comment I thought that the DI’s were okay now you’re telling me they’re not. What can I say?! I have played this with a guitar that has an Ibanez tight-end bridge mounted and I am pretty sure that I am muting properly.

Of course there’s a lot I have to improve, some misconceptions and lack of experience on my part. I should have taken into account that with my new Tannoy’s and Audio Technica headphones I “see” things differently now. Better glasses do make a difference at times. The said effect was much more audible, I think.

I am not a metal guy but need this kind of tone for an experimental sound collage/video project I am about to contribute to. For this purpose I have found at least a good combination of the Lynch Box XTC and Brohmyns IR’s which I think worked the way I can live with (the Rosen Digital IR’s seem to have quite some amount of low end which are harder to fight with). For sure I have to dig deeper into proper post equing sim-guitar tones. Yet, that’s kind of the problem here. I was thinking that most you guys have a playable tone right from the amp sim without a need for massive equing. Of course I am aware that the mix needs some post equing anyways. No wonder TH2 presets never worked for me without massive tweaking and post equing.

Here you can find a few bars for download. I should really appreciate some feedback if it’s halfway okay like that and tips on things that could be improved (well obviously the bass track is missing ;).
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 2391341347

Thanks for having taken the time to comment guys.

Well Jorismak, have to speak with a local dealer around here. Should be no problem to return the new audio interface if it doesn’t work properly, I think. The di as well as the line input signal doesn’t clip at all. The instrument input option with little clipping has the same boomy sound, though. Have tried to lower the pot but to no avail :(
Yet, I don’t know which one to buy. Scarlet 2i4, Tascam US 2x2 or ?????? I don’t know if I should opt for Focusrite again…..

jorismak

Postby jorismak » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:50 am

the problem is in your DI, with that I mean that the problem is not in your amp-sim settings or stuff like that. It's not the tone.

What I mean is 'you indeed have a problem or something causing the boominess, it is not just your settings' :).

If that is because of equipment or because of playing technique I'm not sure That kind of boominess when muting the strings (it sounds like you're just muting the strings, not palm-muting chugging) _can_ be caused by bad muting technique... but if that's the case here I'm not sure.

Like I said, I just want you to think twice before blaming your equipment. Spending another $200 for example and NOT having the problem go away can be very annoying.

" I was thinking that most you guys have a playable tone right from the amp sim without a need for massive equing".
We do. I have good tone without doing anything, even with Rosen IR's. Just for your reference. And yes, with TH2 too.

So let's be clear: 1) you DO have a problem somewhere, it is NOT normal what you have 2) it _may_ be caused by playing technique or guitar, it _may_ be caused by input-equipment / interface, I'm not sure (PVDHP was blaming your playing technique :)). 3) The amp sim or EQ-ing after the amp sim is NOT to blame for this (yes, there are tricks people do to get the low-end under control but you shouldn't have it like this.).

Why are you using the Art-direct box if you don't have clipping issues on your Focusrite?
The Focusrite stuff is never blamed for the sound quality of the inputs... only that they may be clipping too soon to be useful for guitars (which is fixed in the 2i4 with the pad button) but they always sound OK. I heard people whining about drivers, latency or clipping (like every interface btw) but never about sound quality or boominess.

If you can try another interface without cost, do it, it helps a lot to narrow stuff down. But be prepared that it might be technique related, not tech related :S.

I had / have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Besides clipping on the instrument input it has served me well and no problems. I have / had a Steinberg UR22 which has less clipping issues, but still clipping issue s:). The mic-pre's sounded a bit harsher but otherwise served me well.

I now have a Saffire Pro 14 (another Focusrite), which is a firewire unit, not USB. No clipping issues _at all_ (guitars that would clip the 2i2 or the UR22 need to have the gain/trim pot on the interface set almost half-way up now, so quite a bit of headroom). I wouldn't recommend firewire units to PC users without them being prepared to enter a shitstorm of searching for the right firewire card and making your own firewire cables :P. But the unit works well _for me_ and I'm very happy with it. Bought it at a sale locally for less than the online prices for a Scarlett 2i4.

I would be happy getting a 2i4 _if_ you want to upgrade, but as I said, I have a feeling your interface is NOT the problem. Why are you using that ART direct DI box again?

neco

Postby neco » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:37 am

Well English obviously isn’t my first language; I might have worded things wrong.

I do have clipping issues when using the instrument input even with the pad button pushed in. That’s why I am using the Art (active 48V phantom powered) DI-box. Might be a shitty one, however unlikely the reason for my problems if the boominess is there after having removed it.

No matter which combination I use the boominess is still present. Even if I roll back the pot on my guitar (resulting in no audible clipping) with the instrument input. Have also used different guitars and even cables and some other funny attempts at spotting the culprit.

No matter how firm I palm mute the strings even going further upwards to the neck the boominess remains the same. I think I really pretty much know what palm muting is. As far as I remember I had no problems when palm muting with my amp (Kitty Hawk) some (many) years ago.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not insisting in being a flawless guitar player or something, just want to point out that I am a mediocre but quite experienced guitar player. Maybe you were able to hear certain mistakes with my way of palm muting from the audio file above. If so feel free to say so. I wouldn’t be offended. A Turkish proverb says that experience is worth nothing if you have made things wrong all along.

Thanks for describing your experience with audio interfaces – much appreciated. Let’s see if I’ll be able to make a good deal and could probably sell the Focusrite 6 USB which I have now. Think the local dealer will understand that in case I’d have to return the new one.

EDIT: Oh, I wanted to mention that the Tight End Bridge is very smooth and is especially suited for unhindered palm muting. Nothing to catch your hand.
EDIT2: My older Focusrite 6 USB (1.1) has a pad button, too btw.

jorismak

Postby jorismak » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:32 am

Ok.. So the problem is there too without the ART. So we can rule that out.
The problem is there too with different guitars and cables, so we can rule that out.

So that leaves you as the player or the interface. Try switching both one at a time :P.

The sound-problems you have _could_ be by 'bad' playing (and no I don't mean really bad playing, just some technique stuff) but if I'm hearing you right the chance is very small.

The other thing is though, I never heard of problems like this being caused by an interface.
So it _could_ be your playing, but I don't think so.
It _could_ be your interface, but I don't think so.

... but I don't have a clue what else it could be :(.

neco

Postby neco » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:24 pm

Whatever. It's very likely me ;) yet, I don't know what mistake I could possibly make when no string rings out. However I will have a final verdict as soon as I have another soundcard. That of course is a different story.......same card different opinions........very confusing I must say :)
Look here: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/back ... blems.html

Even people having trouble with your Pro14/Firewire which I also gave a thought.

That much about the other Focusrites:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DlA1-jH9VE

I'm desperate..........but nah, the local dealer gives me a 30day trial period. Would also go for Thomann..........

Will drop you a line as soon as I've any progress.............thank you so much Jorismak!

neco

Postby neco » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:58 pm

I have an idea here. Why don't you upload a DI which is similar to mine just a simple two note powerchord (open A and E) palm muted and I will see if it'll work for me.Would you like to do me the favour?
Would be great if you could additionally give me some specs on your guitar (pick-up's for example), thus I could judge wheter it's worth the hassle with choosing a new audio card etc.....

PS: My bridge pickups are Seymour Duncan JB and DiMarzio SuperDistortion btw.

jorismak

Postby jorismak » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:51 pm

I could play something maybe tonight if my kids sleep :). Got different pickups in all my guitars, but none of my guitars are tuned the same, and none of them are in E-standard :).

I'm at work now but on my laptop I have some old DI-test files laying around I made myself when I got my UR22 and was testing it with a cheap Behringer DI box to fix the clipping issues. It's some (not properly tuned) playing of chords, and I _think_ it was on my Epiphone Les Paul with a Seymour Duncan Custom (the regular Custom, not the CustomCustom or the Custom5) in the bridge. But it could very well also be that I still had the stock epiphone 'burstbucker' pickups in there.

I also made a quick chain with Emissary (Ignite Amps), and another chain with TS999 (ignite amps) + LePou's Lecto. Both using NadIR to load a simple Catharsis s-preshigh impulse. No EQ behind, not even low-pass / high-pass filters. As raw and simple as a chain you can get, and it's all free software / free IR. There are some mutes / simple chugs in the end to show how it handles, but unfortunately not any chugs with silent after them to compare to yours.

I compared it to my very very first Line6 Studio Pod GX (simple interface, guitar only, 3.5 jack output) to see if it's really worse in tone than a Scarlett or UR22.. It isn't. Also used the DI output from my THR10 practise amp. That DOES seem to be lacking something in tone, although I still like the tones I get out of the amp, the DI output isn't clear enough.

neco.zip

On Youtube when there are pickup demo's, sometimes they post the DI files. For example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpJB5iCzVfo three pickups, DI files in a copy.com link in the description.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlK4LOlB9-Q EMG pickup shootout from the same guy, also DI files in description
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3YzI3sd2WA Ola does a 7-string Seymur Duncan shootout, DI files downloadable

And like I said, the Scarlett 2i2 has clipping issues, known thing. It was the very first Scarlett they made. The 2i2 is the little box on top in your videos. Yes that has clipping issues, no putting it in 'line mode' is not the correct answer. I used a passive DI box like you use your ART-direct. Better way to fix it.
The 2i4 (the bigger box on the bottom in that video you linked) has no clipping issues as you see (at the start he sets the gain to about 25% / one quarter up and it seems fine. If he has high output pickups he can engage the pad, but I don't know if that affects the sound in a bad way).

I can't imagine anyone having clipping issues in a Saffire Pro14.. EMG's and Blackouts in it ran just fine. Even booster pedals cranked up it can handle.

You can look at the Scarlett 'Solo' as a cheap way to see if it fixes your problems. If you get into troubles with the return policy you didn't ruin $200 or more :S. Make sure you're talking about the Scarlett Solo (red box), not the iTrack Solo (grey box). In the specs his maximum input level seems to be quite a bit above the Scarlett 2i2 and the UR22 (more in line with the 2i4). The Solo is kinda the replacement for the 2i2 since the 2i2 just has wrong specs :).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

neco

Postby neco » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:38 pm

Thank you for your efforts. Can't wait to try these...Work will start on Wednesday for me so I'm in a little hurry ;)
Will have to make sure that I have Midi Ins'n'Outs since my son and I need it for our usual synth stuff. As far as I can see it has to be the 2i5 then. Think I can sell the Focusrite 6 USB second hand around here if I decide to. Will write more later on after having tried your DI's..........much appreciated!!! :D

jorismak

Postby jorismak » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:07 pm

Will try to record some fresh ones tonight if I can. Pro14 / with and without Palmer ActiveDI, and some different guitars and try to mimic the mute as it is in your DI files. These files of mine or old, cheaper guitar, cheaper interface and noisy :P.

But as I told you, I'm not sure if actually is your interface that is causing this.. a PVDHP said it might very well be your playing, I just don't dare to see which it is :S.

PVDHP

Postby PVDHP » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:57 pm

Through my expereince I've seen a lot of guitar DIs and also took some peek at yours with sonogram and everything is fine with the tone. The problem is your playing really, moreover you don't play metal. So learn to mute strings a correct, the metal way.

neco

Postby neco » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:45 pm

Well okay then PVDHP, will try to practice a little more palm muting the metal way. Thank you for pointing that out. I think I have caused too much trouble anyways. Let’s see if I can cope with it.
Thanks again for all your efforts Jorismak. The DI’s you sent worked fine! In case you haven’t recorded the files you mentioned – don’t waste more time.

jorismak

Postby jorismak » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:15 pm

A bunch for you here.

But I'm kinda on PVDHP's side, more about that later :).

2015-di-test.zip

Files ending with 'DI' are done through a Palmer Pro PAN 02 active DI box running on a battery, into my Saffire Pro 14. They are quite noisy to be honest and I rarely use the PAN 02 for just playing. Only for tracking and splitting to an interface and a real amp at the same time. It's not a dirt-cheap DI box, but it's also not so expensive as the pro Radial's or Countryman's or something like that.

Files ending with 'Pro14' are directly into an instrument input on my Saffire Pro14.

Strat is my old Stratocaster, with a Seymour Duncan Lil'59 mini-humbucker in the bridge (tuned standard-half-step-down).
Squier is my (now also old :S) Squier Stagemaster with a Seymour Duncan PATB1 Parallel Axis bucker (the 'normal output' one, not the high-output PATB2) (tuned Drop B. So tuned standard-one-and-a-half-step-down-then-drop-the-low-string-a-whole-step).
Epi is my Epiphone Les Paul. It's one of the more 'expensive' Epi's with a set neck and real grovers and stuff, but not the ones with chambered bodies. It has a Seymour Duncan Custom in the bridge. (tuned in C# standard, so standard-one-and-a-half-step-down).
ML3 is my Chapman Guitars ML-3 Modern, with the stock 'Chapman Passive Aggressive' pickups in it (tuned drop C#, so tuned standard-half-step-down-then-drop-the-low-string-a-whole-step).

I've tracked it all through TSE Audio X50v2, the strat didn't had a TS808 in front, all the others did. But you get DI files only in the zip file anyway. So just in case, I tracked the strat without an OD pedal in front, the others with.

Specially on note is the 'good-bad-demo' file I did with the strat. It's a regular E-powerchord (well, Eb because of tuning). I've done a few chugs where I use my left hand to mute after the chord, and then I've done a few chugs where I don't do anything with my left hand except hold the chord. Sound familiar?! :)). This is why I think PVDP is right and it's all down to technique. I can't think of a technical reason an interface would create that sound, and I can recreate it by not using my left hand for muting, and I can make it go away by properly muting with my left hand too.

In the demo files I've done a few chugs where I strum the chord open and let it ring a beat (how do I describe it? It's the part where I don't go 'boom-boom.... boom-boom...' but I go 'boom-boom-chooord boom-boom-chooord' :)). Here I don't use my left hand for muting at all, because it's not needed with the open 'end chord'. When you want to end on a chug, and you don't want it to create boominess (due to resonance) you have to mute it with your left hand directly after the chug.

I don't know what your background is, but I'm _anything but_ a pro. Heck, since I've got a little kid crawling around I don't get to play at all for weeks if not months. I learned this muting-with-left thing pretty 'late' in my guitar playing era. I just never needed it cause I never played through big 4x12 and live amps. When always playing through smaller combo's the amp doesn't have that much 'thunk' to create the bass like that, and you need big cabs to create the resonance.
Heck, if I play through my 20watt high gain amp with 2x12 V30's I don't need to, but the moment I use a load-box to hook my amp up to my interface and use only cabinet-emulation, I suddenly need to do it again. At lower volumes my 20 watt amp just doesn't have the bass response to create the resonance (and my 2x12 cab is very tight), but when I hook it up to a loud 4x12 impulse it creates the real-world resonance very well :).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

neco

Postby neco » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:21 am

Hi there Jorismak,
first of all and foremost I’ve to tell you that I am very grateful for all the help you provided much appreciated!

This is why I think PVDP is right and it's all down to technique. I can't think of a technical reason an interface would create that sound, and I can recreate it by not using my left hand for muting, and I can make it go away by properly muting with my left hand too.

Seems as if I’ve to try harder to find the goldilocks area of right palm position/pressure and picking technique. Must have missed it so far. Will send your DI’s through the signal path to learn from the difference and might seize the occasion to tweak the amp/cab settings. At least you spared me the hassle of buying and installing new hardware which wouldn’t have helped anyways (else I’m quite satisfied with the interface. Thanks!

It’s great to have people like you contributing to such a forum. I hope others might benefit from the information given here, too.
As soon as I make some progress I’ll drop you a line (or two ;) )…

PS: Nice collection of guitars you have there :)

PVDHP

Postby PVDHP » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:28 pm

You just remember that neck hand has to mute strings with two or more fingers, instead pinch harmonics or resonace will occur. Also don't forget that all the fingers have to contact strings simultaneously.

Wolfen666

Postby Wolfen666 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:37 am

Hello neco !

I have heard your sample, and I think this is about your technique too.

When I do solo palm mutes, I usually use both hands to mute the sound after the attack, to remove this boominess you are talking about. On the left hand, I reduce the pressure on the strings a little to prevent them to ring as much as possible. On the right hand, this is all about the "touch", the way you put your wrist on the strings during the attack and after.

You might train this stuff a little with power chords instead of palm mutes : play a power chord, and try to mute it just after the attack with both hands in a way you get a sound as clean as possible. Then do the same thing in PM by trying various initial positions of your wrist until you get the sound you want. That's not as easy as it sounds.

mastermindjacquard

Postby mastermindjacquard » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:31 pm

make sure your humbucker is decent and invest in a proper guitar cable.
next go through your guitar and make sure the strings are new action and intonation is proper.
now you have the instrument and cable set, move on to the interface make sure it is hi-z make sure your hardest hits do not clip input of your interface or daw but are just shy of DBFS in your master fader.
now that all that is set your ready to focus on pedals and amps and cabinet and mic whether real or virtual.
here is great signal chain to start off with simple but get you going ignite amps emissary out into NadIR with guitar hack impulses sneap `IR then eq - 3 db from 100hz down to 0hz and -3db from 5khz to 22khz or use hi and low pass in nadir to taste this give you a standard metal tone right away and you can play with it while listening to adjust with your ears to figure out your signature tone adjustments but never underestimate the importance of your pickups, and guitar cable if those shitty nothing else will fix it (all other variables decent i mean) . i see people (all the time ) play a thousand dollar guitar with 50 dollar pickups and a dollar store guitar cable and cant figure out why it dont sound right lol. (alos guitar pick) basic what im saying have all things proportionate to each other

guitar,pickups,strings,pick,cable,pedals,amp,cabinet,mic,mic cable,interface,daw,vst's,studio monitors,

soulkeeper1234

Postby soulkeeper1234 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:34 am

It's okay for your advice.
goldenslot

Return to “OFF TOPIC”