Mercuriall U530&Free Stuff

News
C.O.D.
antispam: 6

Re: Mercuriall Audio Software

Postby C.O.D. » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:22 am

Metafis wrote:Re. cabs - I'll ask. Afaik, there is nothing special going on. We are not revolutionizing the cab modeling. Yet =)

You had some in U530, that's why I asked about - read the description of it's poweramp section:
"...Poweramp section take into account cabinet resonance properties. If Cabinet simulation switched off, poweramp section operates in neutral mode witch make you possibilities to use your own impulse responses captured with coloring of poweramp tubes..."
That would explain why Spark is not necessarily on the bright side when used with external IR's, since I have to use tube amp IR's to get the expected highs...

C.O.D.

Postby C.O.D. » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:32 am

jorismak wrote:Spark's amps have two inputs yes. But a real world Super Bass and Super Lead have 4 holes and are popular amps to bridge the channels.
The jcm has two inputs in most real world versions (although there are a lot of different versions :)) and the afd for sure has two inputs.
I always thought the inputs on a jcm and afd were just a sensitivity thing, like a pad or different impedance. On plexi style amps as the Super Lead they are really voiced differently .

Yeah sorry, I know. I've been just a bit cynical at this point - I also was really surprised to see just two inputs at the JMP Super Lead but it says it in the description: with Master Mod.
Regarding the JMP Super Bass, I never played one by myself but I saw recently in Rig Rundown that Malcom played them and so I was surprised how fuggy they sound here actually, just as if you're playing a bass amp :-) Kossoff also played them as far as I know but I do not get this sounds out of it - do I have wrong expectations at this point?

Metafis
antispam: 0

Postby Metafis » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:56 am

Re. cabs.

Spark power amps are tuned to cabs with 120hz resonance. Also, 3rd party IRs should be captured with a liner amp.
Ibanez RGD2127 (BKP MM set) | RG2620 QMSP (BKP Nailbomb bridge) >> FAS AX8 >> SPL Crimson | Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The most extreme amp modeling - www.mercuriall.com

zolaive

Postby zolaive » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:35 pm

Hi guys,
Big problem with my Spark VST (not the demo one but the one I've bought).
Well, It doesn't work properly : there are huge amount of clicks and crackles as if there was a latency problem...
Strange 'cause I have a great audio interface and a powerfull laptop.
I don't have this problem with any of my VSTs (Amplitube , S-Gear 2, Overloud TH3, Guitar Rig 5, JamVOX, Pod Farm2...).

Here's my Gear list :
- My audio interface is : Roland Quad-Capture 4x4 24-bit/192 kHz with a USB 2.0 connexion with the last driver available
- My laptop is : Dell Precision M6700 with 8 Go of RAM ; Intel Core i7-3840QM CPU @ 2.80 GHz
- My OS is : Windows 7 professionnal SP1 - 64 bits. My PC is set to "Performance" and I optimized it (I stopped all the unwanted services).
- My DAW is : Steinberg Cubase Elements 6.0.7 Build 364 - Built on March 13th 2012 (32bits)
I use Mercuriall Spark 32 bits VST inserted in a single Cubase track. There are no other VSTs inserted.
The oversampling value in Spark was 2 and I set it to "NO" but it still doesn't work properly...
Every soft is legal soft I bought (no cracked version)
HELPPPP..... Plizzzzzzzzzzz
Olivier

Metafis

Postby Metafis » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:41 pm

@zolaive
For support kindly contact us through this form: https://mercuriall.com/cms/contact
It will be easier to track the communication. Thank you!
Ibanez RGD2127 (BKP MM set) | RG2620 QMSP (BKP Nailbomb bridge) >> FAS AX8 >> SPL Crimson | Focusrite Scarlett 2i4

zolaive

Postby zolaive » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:24 pm

Thanks. I'll do it right now
Cheers
Olivier

PVDHP

Postby PVDHP » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:05 pm

Have the same problem here Zolaive admits. I've got the demo version.

baxterbrown

Postby baxterbrown » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:05 pm

Same issue as well with the CPU usage. 64 bit, PC, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, AMD Quadcore, 512 sample rate, Studio One 3.3. Not sure what the issue is, but it seems to be affecting multiple users. This is referring to the demo version.

jorismak

Postby jorismak » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:44 pm

Win10, 64bit, Core i7, 8GB ram, buffersize 64 and 128, Reaper 5. All no problems.
So you can rule out Win10, 64bit and buffer size (512 is pretty high, should be no problems I guess).

Maybe studio one?

baxterbrown

Postby baxterbrown » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:20 pm

jorismak wrote:Win10, 64bit, Core i7, 8GB ram, buffersize 64 and 128, Reaper 5. All no problems.
So you can rule out Win10, 64bit and buffer size (512 is pretty high, should be no problems I guess).

Maybe studio one?

At first I thought it may just be a Studio One issue, but there are people testing it in Cubase and Reaper that are reporting similar issues. On KVR and Gearslutz I've also seen reports of Spark working just fine in Studio One v3.3. I have no idea at this point.

Metafis

Postby Metafis » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:24 pm

Thanks guys. We are trying to understand where exactly the problem is (Spark or some DAWs or some specific hardware).

PVDHP - are you using 32 or 64 bit version? What are the exact specs of your PC and sound card settings?

Metafis

Postby Metafis » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:47 pm

Also, can you guys post info or screenshots of from Task manager > CPU and also Memory performance?
Important to see what is the system load before you even start the DAW.

jorismak

Postby jorismak » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:52 pm

If quad-cores in Reaper with 64bit and 8gb ram and a buffer size of whopping 512 still can have issues, maybe don't look at the usual suspects.. maybe something in the interface that's blocking? is there some gpu or hardware acceleration used in displaying of the interface, that can affect different brands or driver versions or stuff like that? Just guessing into the dark here :P.

zolaive

Postby zolaive » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:35 am

OK, I unistalled Spark (full version) and I tried the demo version in my Cubase DAW and I had the same issue (crakles and clicks).
Then, I uninstalled the demo version and re-installed the full version with the 64 bits VST. I used it in Reaper 5.30 64 bits.
The issue I get is worse than before : it crashes in Reaper (Reaper = no response).
???

C.O.D.

Postby C.O.D. » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:45 am

Also crackling here with the full as with Demo version x64 in Reaper x64 on Win7 x64 with 16 GB RAM on Intel Quad Core when going under 256 samples @ 48 kHz (otherwise I can go with 64 samples without problems). Besides it doesn' t matter if core parking and throtteling is on or off...

Metafis

Postby Metafis » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:00 pm

Thank you for the reports guys.
We are gathering info for analysis.

1. Can you guys post info or screenshots of from Task manager > CPU and also Memory performance? Before you even start your DAW.
Important to see what is the system load before you even start the DAW.
2. Also, could you tell me what sound cards you use?
3. What programs do you run in the background? Maybe we could find some common program that behaves badly with Spark.
Like antivirus (which one), cloud storage software, messaging apps, etc.
3. Are you on HDD or SSD?

zolaive

Postby zolaive » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:51 pm

Hi,
I sent a mail to the support team with all the infos and screenshots in a rar file named "Infos (SALTIEL).rar"
Cheers
Olivier

Metafis

Postby Metafis » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:58 pm

@zolaive Great, thank you so much!

To everyone who has issues with Spark:

I realized that we need more structured/detailed information about the problem you experience with Spark. Afterwards, we'll analyze it to understand what exactly is wrong and if it is the Spark's issue.

Kindly add these details (those who experience issues; if you care, you can post details even if Spark runs smoothly):

1. Your OS
2. CPU type and speed
3. Overall RAM size and Free RAM size before you open the DAW
4. CPU load before you open the DAW
5. Your sound interface name and buffer settings/sampling frequency you run it at
6. Are you on HDD or SSD
7. What programs do you run in the background? Maybe we could find some common program that behaves badly with Spark.
Like antivirus (which one), cloud storage software, messaging apps, etc.
8. CPU load and Memory performance when Spark is in use. Please check it from Task Manager (not sure how it is called on Mac), not the DAW performance display. Screenshots are appreciated
9. Spark oversampling settings and what is turned on (gate/pedals/cab/FX)
10. Exact description of the problem (please don't go with "same as others")
11. Other comments/observations you may have.
12. Anything else I forgot to ask =)

Thanks a lot! I am sure we'll identify the issue with your kind help!

PVDHP

Postby PVDHP » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:10 pm

I use FL Studio 10 x86 with Mercuriall Spark Demo x86, run under Windows 7 x64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.60GHz yet all the other plugins run smooth.

44100Hz, 24-bit, 64 samples (7ms estimated latency in overall), and even 2048 samples setup doesn't run smooth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq3eF8R ... e=youtu.be

Metafis

Postby Metafis » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:37 pm

PVDHP
I see, thanks. The processor is a weak link here, unfortunately. It's really old and has only 2 cores. Spark requires more power to run smoothly.
You should try running a 64 bit plugin in 64 bit Reaper instead, it should provide better result.

Metafis

Postby Metafis » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:52 pm

We've analyzed the limited feedback where customers had complaints of Spark's poor performance.

We've noticed 4 main things:
1. Hyper-threading (if your CPU has it) must be enabled as well as all cores must be enabled on the processor. Spark relies on using all the CPU cores to spread out the load. If, for some reason, you turned off any of the available cores, please turn them on.
2. Your DAW should not run in a compatibility mode. We noticed a user was running Reaper in a Windows Vista compatibility mode and it drastically decreased Spark's performance.
3. Your DAW settings need to be configured to use all the CPU cores your machine has.
4. It looks like processors with 2 cores and 2 threads are having a hard time running Spark and there is no cure to this. I know it may sound harsh, but this is a sign of these processors getting old. They are not fast enough to seamlessly run Spark even at low settings. And yes, U530 does require less CPU than Spark.

With that said, potential things to try:
1. Hopefully, your OS is 64 bit (if not, disregard this point). If you are running your DAW and plugins at 32 bit, please try to run your DAW and Spark at 64 bits. There should be better performance.
2. Try different DAW and see if the result is different.

Apart from that, we do want to optimize Spark further.

jorismak

Postby jorismak » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:11 pm

1. Hyper-threading (if your CPU has it) must be enabled as well as all cores must be enabled on the processor. Spark relies on using all the CPU cores to spread out the load. If, for some reason, you turned off any of the available cores, please turn them on.

Turning HT off makes the OS report 4 cores (let's assume a 4-core-with-ht here) so Spark spreading the load over 4 cores, which are the real 'physical' cores. I don't see where there could be performance loss with this. I'm guessing Spark is 99% floating point math and such, so HT wouldn't bring any benefit anyway. Anyway, just techtalk theory. The real world is always different it turns out :).

Did you guys also look at instruction support for CPUs? My older Core i7 doesn't have any AVX1/2 so that can be ruled out I guess, but maybe they're all running AMD / older cpus without SSE4.2 which hurts more than expected?

PS: I'm guessing you're looking at common factors between all the problem reports, and I didnt' want to spam with 'works OK for me' lists. But if you want my info as a PM, just let me know.

Metafis

Postby Metafis » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:42 am

Turning HT on was one of the suggestions from our devs, I am not a pro in the HT questions, unfortunately =)

CPUs should support at least SSE2 and so far we have not seen people with processors below that requirement.
I believe it is fine at the moment, we know what needs to be done. We are working on improving x86 builds's performance and optimizing the x64 builds. And of course, we are investigating totally strange cases when something crashes or does not work on a really powerful machine.

Metafis

Postby Metafis » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:17 pm

Dear friends!

Mercuriall team sends you warm greetings and congratulates with the upcoming New Year! Let the 2017 bring you positive mood, creative energy and strong health!
With your support we are able to continue working on new Mercuriall products! Actually, we already have plans for the next plugin, which will hopefully bring a big smile on your face. Maybe even some tears of joy. Stay tuned for more!

On the New Year's eve please enjoy this powerful mix/cover made by NRQ's Studio.

PS. We still run the Holiday Sale until 3rd of Janury! You can get the U530 and Spark with a nice discount at www.mercuriall.com

PVDHP

Re: Mercuriall U530&Free Stuff

Postby PVDHP » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:40 pm

Let's keep this forum clean out of that spam, ok?

Return to “News”